Snapped TiLite ZR frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapped TiLite ZR frame

The title says it all really. I've been sat in my chair all day thinking the backrest is getting wobbly, must tighten the back or fabric.

Once home I hopped on the sofa only to notice that the frame had spilt from one of the mounting holes for the seat base

No idea where I go from here, I have contacted the reseller in the USA and am awaiting a reply but think it will be cheaper to buy a new frame than ship it back from here in Sweden.

Dots, lines and aeroplanes. my flying adventures.

is that stock seat pan and holes to secure it? def get with whomever you bought through.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by sarcastrix View Post
      The title says it all really. I've been sat in my chair all day thinking the backrest is getting wobbly, must tighten the back or fabric.

Once home I hopped on the sofa only to notice that the frame had spilt from one of the mounting holes for the seat base

No idea where I go from here, I have contacted the reseller in the USA and am awaiting a reply but think it will be cheaper to buy a new frame than ship it back from here in Sweden.

Sorry to see you have a problem. Can you provide me with your serial number in a private message and we can help get you squared away.
      TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
        is that stock seat pan and holes to secure it? def get with whomever you bought through.
        Yep, stock seat pad with no mods. The chair is 3 years old so guessing it a fault that has developed over time as i'm not heavy person (150 lbs), nor do I carry out anything more strenuous than carrying a beer from the bar

Originally posted by TiLite View Post
        Sorry to see you have a problem. Can you provide me with your serial number in a private message and we can help get you squared away.
        Thanks, PM sent.

Comment

I didn't know that was possible with titanium. It makes me wonder about the long-term integrity of the hardware in my back.

Comment

Nor did I. It's a very clean break (from the screw hole downwards), but still slightly attached at the bottom which properly saved me from going over backwards and planting my head in the sidewalk.

Comment

Most of the larger w/c companies have a warranty on their frames.

I'm sure they differ widely, but I know Quickie has a lifetime replacement policy. I'm sure others have some variety of this policy. definitely check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by sarcastrix View Post
                Nor did I. It's a very clean break (from the screw hole downwards), but still slightly attached at the bottom which properly saved me from going over backwards and planting my head in the sidewalk.
                I'd try to find a piece of aluminum tube that's a tiny bit smaller than the inner diameter of the tube that broke, then shove it inside to provide some structural support until you can get a new frame.

Comment

It happens with holes left drilled bare in tubing. Had that happen to a TR I had (for the backrest hardware)...replacement frame had lugs welded in the holes and no troubles from then on for some 8 years or so till I got a TR3

Comment

Or a piece of steel tubing, perhaps even pipe.

Comment

I thought it was the G10 seat pan. You mean you drill the hole by yourself?
                      Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

Yes, it's the G10 seat pan and like I said above I haven't made any modifications, it was factory ordered. Drilling a frame will always increase the chance of breakage however the G10 is much better than saggy seat fabric

I've been thinking about finding a metal or even wooden bar to internally brace the damaged area, but stuff like that isn't easy to come across where I live.

Comment

Yes, I always like solid seat pan. Drilling a frame is not my liking too, therefore for my second chair, I asked for six welded tab on the frame to mount my solid seat pan.
                          Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

We got an ADI seat base with their hardware so we did not need holes in the frame. We also use velcro to attach it, which many people have done without having any extra hardware. See this post: Carbon fiber solid seat pan by strips.
                            Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Yes, I saw that thread in 2010 I had a similar Velcro and plywood setup many years before on an E&J tank however, this is an OEM seat base and NOT an aftermarket part.

Titanium, like any alloy, bends and snaps albeit to different degrees - shite happens. I'm not pissed about it nor disappointed with my chair. Just waiting to see how CS or my reseller handles the repair although I've not heard back from either
                              Last edited by sarcastrix; 29 Jul 2014, 2:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X