Compression Stockings - 7/9/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression Stockings - 7/9/14

I know this thread has been done before, but old links don?t work. I need advice on compression socks. I used to wear TED hose but found out they are not good for preventing swelling, so I need new brand.

There are too many sock options and I?m lost. For those of you who also have no leg movement, which compression socks do you wear? Thanks.

I use Jobst 30-40 Compression which I believe to be the "Tightest" you can buy without a prescription. The work well for me. Ted hose did nothing

Comment

I have been using SIGVARIS Athletic Recovery Sock that I get from Amazon. They work really well for me and 2 pair last me about 2 years. I hand wash them with lukewarm water and castile soap (Dr. Bronners) & air dry them, and they seem to last longer than when I washed them in a machine.
      Don - Grad Student Emeritus
      T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Originally posted by 92Trunk View Post
        I use Jobst 30-40 Compression which I believe to be the "Tightest" you can buy without a prescription. The work well for me. Ted hose did nothing
        Thanks for responding. I'm afraid of going that high of compression. I'm worried about pressure sores. I might go 20-30. What type/model of Jobst do you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by Donno View Post
          I have been using SIGVARIS Athletic Recovery Sock that I get from Amazon. They work really well for me and 2 pair last me about 2 years. I hand wash them with lukewarm water and castile soap (Dr. Bronners) & air dry them, and they seem to last longer than when I washed them in a machine.
          Thank you for responding. These look pretty good. But I noticed that the sizing chart doesn't take into account calf circumference. My calves are thin as a rail! Do you have any issues with them staying up?

Comment

I use Jobst 30-40 compression stockings. I also have 20-30mm socks as well. I prefer the higher compression even though they are hard to put on with limited hand function.

You might try the 20-30 mm compression first and see how effective they are. You can always go up or down.

Good luck.

Comment

Both Jobst and Sigvaris also offer custom made stocking if the standard sizes don't fit you. Many insurances will cover these. A vendor would need to measure and fit you for the custom ones.

All compression hose should be hand washed with mild soap (like Woolite), rinsed well, and air dried. Never dry them in the drier, even on cool.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I used CEP for 1+ year. They are athletic and gradual compression. Not fun putting on or taking off, but they definitely work. Not cheap though. Here is where I got them www.compressionstockings.com .

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
                  Thanks for responding. I'm afraid of going that high of compression. I'm worried about pressure sores. I might go 20-30. What type/model of Jobst do you buy?
                  The model number of the Jobst I use is 115110. They are listed ad casual stockings but appear as dress socks. These are knee high with control top. I've never had issues with pressure sores with any high compression socks but you have to make sure there are no creases or folds in them

Comment

Have been using Futuro Restoring Dress Socks for years. The firm, 20-30 mm/Hg works great for me. Knee high. With ted hose my feet would swell up like little footballs after 10 hours in my chair.
                    No longer after using these socks. Usually last 2 or 3 years. Amazon, about 11 or 12 bucks.

Works just as good as the more expensive brands that I started with.
                    Last edited by forestranger52; 12 Jul 2014, 6:49 PM.
                    C 5/6 Comp.
                    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Hi, Been using TruForm 20-30 mm/Hg Graduated(sp?) Compression Medical Weight Hosiery with Closed Toe for many years. Use to get them at best price from Walmart for $19/pair. Course they quit carrying them at most stores except one. But last few months that one store have not restocked them and started selling different brand.
                      The TruForm have worked really well and I dropped several inches off my calf using them coupled with elevating leg as often as possible.

Also have bought same medical weight 20-30 mm/hg from Ames Walker in their own brand:
                      http://www.ameswalker.com/asdf.html

Be sure to check your insurance coverage, mine only covers when have active ulcer. That's why I usually just buy them cause try to keep on hand 10- 15 pairs for about a two week supply. Be sure to wash in something like lingerie bag to keep separate and only air dry, no machine dry will break them down quickly.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks all for the replies.
                        How do you guys/girls who have ultra-thin calves buy your socks? I cant be the only one to have this problem. By the measuring chart for Jobst socks, which measures calf and ankle, I am a size small. But my feet size are size 11. No way are those made for people like me.

I can’t afford the custom made socks.

Oh well. I bought one pair small & one pair medium. See if one of those work. Thanks

Comment

Many insurances will cover the custom stockings if they are prescribed by your provider. Have you explored this? Stockings that are too loose are ineffective; those that are too tight can cause skin breakdown and even cause a DVT.

(KLD)
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Nowhere Man: I know what you mean. My legs are long but skinny. My ankles are 7 1/2", my calves are 11 1/2" at the widest point and my thighs are 16" at the widest point. My legs are 35" long. My shoe size is 7 1/2 however. I'd hate to imagine what my legs would be like if they didn't spasm so much. The spasms provide all of the tone in my legs.

The small knee high works for me but I'm kind of at the edge. If you have similar measurements the small should work. I also wear the small thigh high (I like them under my braces) but they could be a little longer.

I agree that the custom socks are kind of expensive, even for an insurance company.

Comment

My Dad uses Sigvaris. The Jobst quality has been going down over the past few years. We have had to return a few pairs for defects and they run more easily now. Considering how expensive they are, that wasn't acceptable. We moved over to Sigvaris from other recs on this board. So far so good for 20-30mmHg.

But I totally understand with the craziness of trying to find the right "size". Sometimes you just have to try them. We have also learned that if you need a higher pressure (30-40mmHg) the over the counter stockings are not great. You tend to get bowling pin effects, if you know what I mean, as the pressure gradients are not reliably good at this higher pressures. So we will have to start getting custom stockings when/if my Dad needs higher pressure. Yeah, the customs are pricey, but some insurance plans will cover them, and if you are careful with them (hand washing in mild detergent, as recommended) they can last quite awhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X