EMC Aevit 2.0 dying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMC Aevit 2.0 dying.

My Aevit 2.0 is throwing codes. The dealership says it needs removed and sent in and with the updates it needs is going to be expensive. The park brake servo alone is $2000. Does anyone know what the brake error codes mean. Something like 404. I have the user guide but none of the brake codes are listed.
    Build a man a fire and you heat him for a day.
    Set hime on fire and you heat him for life.

Now that it's off warranty they said the service visit is about $7000. I will trace this thing out wire by wire and remove it. The unit is not safe. It has nearly killed us and others on the road as when it's not happy it's answer is to shut itself down causing the van to stall on the freeway in heavy traffic. People are not pleased when I bring the entire freeway to a dead stop and wait 2 to 3 minutes for it to be shutdown and fully reboot.

It's still working but plans are underway to build our own controls out of factory drive by wire components for the gas and a mechanical linkage for the brakes.

Comment

I would think a dealer/tech could perform diagnostics via a pc prior to doing the removal. Do you have any other dealers in your area?

Comment

The dealer is Performance Mobility out of Portland. They said at 500 hours the removal of the system is mandatory so it can be sent back to EMC for a checkup and some components are updated as part of the hourly service. Kind of like an aircraft. Some parts get changed out based on hours even though they are working perfect. The dealer isn't the problem; EMC is.

Comment

"It's still working but plans are underway to build our own controls out of factory drive by wire components for the gas and a mechanical linkage for the brakes."

I have some familiarity with FBW throttle systems, having done them on my Volvo and Volkswagen.
          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
          NW NJ

Comment

Were you able to add a second throttle controller while having the floor mounted one remain operational? I would like to rig one on the door to a stick where I can push forward for gas and then I will use some sort of linkage or Morse cable to apply the brakes all while still having the factory pedals still operational for an able body person to be able to use.

Comment

Here is a link to my FBW hand control stuff:Hand control for newer vehicles with electronic throttles
              (The post is a mess from the debacle when the site had an abortive "up-grade" to vB-5)
              AFAIK, all the FBW (FlyByWire) electronic throttles on the newer vehicles (~2001-2005 on?) use a 6 wire throttle pedal position sensor. (Volvo & VW/Audi I have done and confirm).
              There are redundant 3 wire sensors (although the signals, at least VW/Audi are not = but proportional), each side having power, ground, and throttle signal.
              I was concerned that 4 legs (2xPower + 2xSignal) would need to be switched simultaneously or the ECM (engine control module) would see a fault and go into limp mode, but in both cases (VW & Volvo) leaving foot and hand control throttle sensors powered up continuously and only switching the two signal legs works fine. Having the ability to turn off the foot throttle is appealing because it lets me not worry about inadvertently throttling with my foot, although my hunch is that you could leave hand and foot sensors active, that the ECM would open the throttle based on which ever signal indicated more throttle. (I think I confirmed that on the Volvo when building these controls)
              It is very simple to imagine hand throttles for paras (I'm T12). Quads is a wholly different exercise. I thought a lot about making a control for a quad buddy with an Audi A3 and we never tried, but I CAN say that whatever you design, the compactness of the FBY pedal sensors and the ability to soften their spring-rate, and the ability to delete all the mechanical hand throttle crap to the accelerator pedal make them a plug and play solution to design.

PS: I'm in NJ and Performance Mobility is in Oregon. I raced Volvos before my injury in 1995. In 1990 another Volvo racer and I had a great idea: Volvos From Hell! The Tour.
              We took 6 weeks off and raced across the country. We raced at Portland International Raceway, and I got in quite a dice with a BMW 2002 that got a little physical, so I went over to the guy after the race to make sure he wasn't pissed. I saw a vacuum servo under the rear seat that linked to the clutch and asked him WTF??! His partner in the car was a paraplegic and this was for hand controls.
              Ten years later someone tells me to contact Charlie Hexam, Performance Mobility-he's raced with hand controls. Well whataa you know? Charlie is the other driver!
              I went on to build an 88 Golf GTI 5spd MT and road race it quite successfully for 3 years before writing it off in 2004, but that's a whole nother story.
              And Charlie died not long after of bladder cancer-a good guy who used to sell me used hand controls when I needed them. Sadly, no more.
              Last edited by pfcs49; 9 Oct 2014, 2:56 PM.
              NW NJ

Comment

I never met Charlie face to face but we spoke on the phone often. Usually way out of the box mobility stuff for paras. I don't mind being able to switch back and forth between foot and hand controls but it has to be with a switch of some sort rather than pulling plugs. If they work as you mentioned with the parallel inputs that would be great too. I just don't want my Ford shop to freak out too much. I need them both to work ideally because I have got myself in over my head off road and needed help before and having functional able body controls was imperative to get me out of a jam. If you get a few I would like to talk to you. My number is on the contact us page on my website in my profile.
                Thanks
                Shawn

Comment

I will call you. I peeked at you profile and see you're in Bend. What a coincidence! My wife just cancelled tickets to fly there today; she has a terrible cold. She will be re-booking and visiting there in coming weeks, once she's feeling better.
                  NW NJ

Comment

Take a look on Ebay, there is an Aevit system for sale

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I found out that EMC will not support or provide instructions for a used system. They will only support the authorized EMC dealer installing new equipment into a clients vehicle for which it is prescribed. The dealerships are prohibited by EMC from putting a used system on a rig even if they know how. The system has a 10 year lifespan and even if you bought it new and it has a problem after 10 years they will not support it. They condemned my 1988 Ford van for that very reason. Even though I just put a new engine, transmission and rear differential overhaul in it. The van and the system was too old and they do not make the stuff to convert the older rig so I was forced to buy a new van and a new $30,000 system. Pretty steep for just gas and brakes. My old system was only $8,000.

Used parts will only help someone who is where I was and trying to keep their old system running as long as possible on their own.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I have an EMC AEVIT 2.0 owners manual that has all the error codes. If I can still help you out with those let me know.

Comment

Working...
                        X