No announcement yet.

Ramp Experience - vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An additional thought. VA vendors have to provide ramps and other home modifications per VA accessibility standards, which approximate and sometimes exceed those required under the ADA. If you are getting such poor service from a VA vendor, you should get back to the Prosthetics & Sensory Aids (PS&A) department that approved your project and vendor, and file an official complaint. It is not enough just to give input to the contracting official.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Maybe checkout Angie's List.

Good luck.
      Millard
      ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
        He redrew them ignoring ADA requirements even after I quoted 2010 ADA paragraph on my drawing.
        for whatever it's worth, adherence to ADA guidelines isn't required for private homes.

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        An additional thought. VA vendors have to provide ramps and other home modifications per VA accessibility standards, which approximate and sometimes exceed those required under the ADA.

is this in writing somewhere?
        Last edited by -scott-; 30 Jun 2014, 9:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          . . . If you are getting such poor service from a VA vendor, you should get back to the Prosthetics & Sensory Aids (PS&A) department that approved your project and vendor, and file an official complaint. It is not enough just to give input to the contracting official.(KLD)
          I was careless with my wording. The 'contracting official' I talked with is the PS&A person responsible for choosing the vendor who is servicing me.
          Chas
          TiLite TR3
          Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
          <
          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by Millard View Post
            Maybe checkout Angie's List.

Good luck.
            Vendor is chosen by the VA. I have no control.
            Chas
            TiLite TR3
            I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
            <
            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
              for whatever it's worth, adherence to ADA guidelines isn't required for private homes.
              You are typically correct, but . . .

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
              is this in writing somewhere?

Yes, VHA Handbook 1173.08 states:

Click image for larger version

Name:	VHA Handbook 1173.08 Excerpt.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2657827

(Before disability, I did code compliance as part of my job.)
              Chas
              TiLite TR3

<
              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

I don't know if this helps, but I found this link about Architectural Accessibility which has a link to the standards. I'm not sure if that applies to home modification, but it's probably worth checking.

Chas, I really don't think it should be your responsibility to fix things if they get it wrong. I would let the VA know that the job was not completed to standard and let them hash it out with the contractor. It seems that you have all the proof needed for that.
                Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by lazierdog View Post
                  Some of them aren't as dumb as the look, they just play the part very well. Maybe he's just trying to build the cheapest version to maximize profits. I've had similar issues with contractors. You have to keep a close eye on them, especially during construction. Good luck.
                  Could be. Typical contractor behavior. Thanks for the reminder.
                  Chas
                  TiLite TR3

<
                  UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
                    I don't know if this helps, but I found this link about Architectural Accessibility which has a link to the standards. I'm not sure if that applies to home modification, but it's probably worth checking.

Chas, I really don't think it should be your responsibility to fix things if they get it wrong. I would let the VA know that the job was not completed to standard and let them hash it out with the contractor. It seems that you have all the proof needed for that.
                    Yes, you're right, but there comes a point when I'll follow the path of least resistance, which may be fixing it myself.

Here is the ADA link I'm using.
                    Chas
                    TiLite TR3

<
                    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Hi hear ya, and know exactly what you mean . Good luck with it all.

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                      Yes, you're right, but there comes a point when I'll follow the path of least resistance, which may be fixing it myself.
                      Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Finally - Here's the ramp design I approved:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramp.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	2657828

Now he's over done things and it's more than 18" clearance, but I can accept that. The background (House & driveway are off scale), but I know the ramp dimensions are close enough.

Now the VA will get and process bids. After VA identifies the successful bidder, the bidder will ship parts to vendor, who will install it. During the meantime, I'll rest up in preparation to supervise the installation.
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3

<
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Not all of us, speaking for myself are not expert at showing what and how needs to be done. The sad part is that it should not be necessary to force feed this to the vendor to get compliance. It does explain why there is so much screwed up stuff out there though.
                          And Chas, I think you might need to do some revisions to your screen/storm door if it works like mine. I open the screen and try to jump the threshold, and wheel inside before the screen slams between my rear wheels. On the other hand if there is a wind, it stays open so I have to wheel inside, U turn and go back out after it. Seems like a crip gadget is needed. Usually I just avoid that door.
                          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                            Not all of us, speaking for myself are not expert at showing what and how needs to be done. The sad part is that it should not be necessary to force feed this to the vendor to get compliance. It does explain why there is so much screwed up stuff out there though.
                            Exactly. That's why I'm making such a big deal about it to the VA - I'm slightly frustrated for me; I'm severely frustrated for other vets!!!

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                            And Chas, I think you might need to do some revisions to your screen/storm door if it works like mine. I open the screen and try to jump the threshold, and wheel inside before the screen slams between my rear wheels. On the other hand if there is a wind, it stays open so I have to wheel inside, U turn and go back out after it. Seems like a crip gadget is needed. Usually I just avoid that door.
                            I'm considering buying this crip gadget: EZ-Pull. We are also considering removing the storm door and converting our front door to an outswing (new frame, hinges, and threshold). Wind is definitely an issue.
                            Last edited by chasmengr; 30 Jun 2014, 3:59 PM.
                            Chas
                            TiLite TR3

<
                            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

That is a simple enough closer. The pneumatic closer could come off to keep the door open for entry, but it's there for everyone else. Visitors etc expect the screen/storm to close by itself. I don't have the option to remove it with the winter wind blown rain we get. Another door under 12 feet of overhang roof entry porch without a storm door is so badly water damaged it needs repair or replaced.
                              I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

We're fortunate - our front door faces south; it doesn't get hit by prevailing storm winds, and it's under an overhang.
                                Chas
                                TiLite TR3

<
                                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                                X