No announcement yet.

Advice for best shock absorbing outdoor rear tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What chair do you have again? Can you take a pic of the camber tube and the camber plugs?

Comment

The camber plugs should be adjustable. They slide into the camber tube. If you look at the camber tube you will see where the bracket attaches to the chair. You can loosen the bracket at pull the camber plugs out some and tighten the bracket back down. That will give you some space. The bracket attaches to the chair and the camber tube loosen the ones attached to the camber tube

Comment

He has a 16 x 18 ZRA with 24" Spinergy LX's (ETRTO 25-540) with titanium camber tube with 2 degree of camber.

Here are photo's of the camber plugs and camber tube.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 03 06_3330.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	2657775Click image for larger version

Name:	camber tube after d's locks.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	2657776

I'm curious why you are asking. Got an idea?
        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Ok you see the bracket right next to your d's locks?

Comment

Thanks. I'm aware of that. The problem is not the camber tube/plugs, but finding good shock absorbing tires that are 540's. I think we would be fine with anything up to 2" (e.g., 50-540's) with our current 1" rear wheel spacing. I don't mind adding a small spacer, but don't want to do more than that or the chair is too wide when used indoors. Call me lazy, but I don't want to add/remove spacers every time we go outdoors.

Originally posted by randomryan007 View Post
            The camber plugs should be adjustable....
            Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Loosen one side and pull on the camber plug. It should slide out. Might take some muscle. But it will slide out. They are made that way. The camber plug should be about 4 inches long.

Comment

Ok. I run all types of tires. And they mount right on to my spinergys just fine as long as they are 24 inch tires. I had a bike shop explain this to me a while back. So now I have several rims with different types of tires mounted on them. Some fat. Some knobby. U ou get the point. So any tire as long as they are 24 inch will work

Comment

I have spinergy spox rims on all the types and it works just fine. I dont like the ride on pavement with knobby tires. Love the airborne tires and now considering a fatter tire. Lol just to see the difference in them. Althou weight is an issue for me. So the airborne s are a great choice

Comment

http://www.schwalbetires.com/wheelchair/tires/airborne

They say the tire pressure is 55 to 95 psi. So I think you could get away with running low psi. And be just fine.

Comment

Thanks randomryan007. The Airborne is pretty much where we are at right now, unless we can find something else. I'm still not convinced that we can get the level of shock absorption that we would like though, because it is not a very wide tire. I would prefer a "balloon" tire that is focused on shock absorption, even if it not as fast, light weight or maneuverable. Probably we are a niche market, because it's primary use will be with a Firefly power handbike.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/wheelchair/tires/airborne

They say the tire pressure is 55 to 95 psi. So I think you could get away with running low psi. And be just fine.

Comment

Aaron fatheringham uses this tire on his chairs. He jumps huge ramps. And does front flips and back flips and lands them. Pretty sure if he uses them you might be able to get what your trying to get. Just mess with the tire pressure. The big apple looks like a great tire as well

Comment

I think you can use some cheaper solutions. Just take old gray 24x1 3/8 and run them at 20-30 pounds. Get a cheap set of wheels to keep whatever tires on. Loosen the spokes a half turn or more. A bike shop can do it or you can. Keep loosening until you get too much side flex. This will make them ride softer. You can "dish" the extra wheels or get longer axles and spacers (bunch of washers) to move the wheels out.

Comment

I have never tried to mount non-540's on a 540 rim. Are you saying that you can mount something like a 507 on a 540 Spinergy rim?

Ok. I run all types of tires. And they mount right on to my spinergys just fine as long as they are 24 inch tires. I had a bike shop explain this to me a while back. So now I have several rims with different types of tires mounted on them. Some fat. Some knobby. U ou get the point. So any tire as long as they are 24 inch will work

Comment

Money is not our biggest concern for tires, but the most effective shock absorption is. I don't know how to explain this better, but for us to go 200 yards where we live means a seizure will mostly likely happen.

Unfortunately, money is a concern for buying new rims, because that is a bigger investment if we also want them strong for a power handbike and flexible, which the Spinergy LX's that we have are.

I use to do bicycle wheel work years ago, but I'm just concerned that I won't do it right, or a bike shop won't, and we will have a bad accident with the power handbike. Maybe I am paranoid, but he has had a broken femur, tibula, fibula and ribs this last year, and I really don't want to risk it.

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                              I think you can use some cheaper solutions. Just take old gray 24x1 3/8 and run them at 20-30 pounds. Get a cheap set of wheels to keep whatever tires on. Loosen the spokes a half turn or more. A bike shop can do it or you can. Keep loosening until you get too much side flex. This will make them ride softer. You can "dish" the extra wheels or get longer axles and spacers (bunch of washers) to move the wheels out.

Comment

I hope I am not boring you all with this discussion, but I just wish there was something out there that fit all our needs. I just sent Schwalbe e-mail, and I think I have summarized what we are looking for. It can't hurt to try...
                                ---------------------------------
                                Guten Tag Schwable,

We currently have Marathon Plus wheelchair tires (ETRTO 25-540). We are very happy with them indoors, but are looking for a solution for shock absorption for a smoother ride outdoors.

My husband has seizures when he is bumped around too much. We are looking for a solution that can be used with his Spinergy LX 24” wheels on a TiLite ZRA wheelchair with a RioMobility Firefly power handbike.

The primary use will be for outdoors on bumpy streets and sidewalks, and they will not be taken off-road much. He will also not be self-propelling much with them, therefore weight is also not very important, but durability is.

Unfortuantely, I am seeing that all of the Schwalbe shock absorbing “balloon” tires are ETRTO 507′s: Big Apple ETRTO 50-507 or 55-507 or Big Ben ETRTO 55-507. The only Schwalbe 540 that I can see that might help with shock absorption is the Airborne.

The Airborne looks like a nice tire, but I’m not convinced that we can get the level of shock absorption that we would like, because it is not a very wide tire. We would prefer a “balloon” tire that is focused on shock absorption, even if it is not as fast, light weight or maneuverable as the Airborne.

We would like something like the Big Apple in a size between ETRTO 47-540 and 50-540. We do not want it much wider so that we do not need to add spacers to the camber tube every time we use it outdoors. Ideally it will be one that is as strong as the Marthon Plus and Airborne (puncture protection level 5 or 6).

We are also not wanting knobby tires, because we do not go off-road much and they become very dirty, and we will want to use them nightly on a another wheelchair that we use upstairs with a caregiver assisting, and want them to be easy to clean.

Can you tell me if Schwalbe has any plans to make a tire like this? Probably we are a niche market, because its primary use will be with a power handbike, but there may be more people wanting this as power handbikes are becoming more common.

If you have any questions, please send me an e-mail. I am also happy to talk with you about it on the telephone, if you give me a day and time to talk with you.

Thank you for considering this message.

Mit freundlichen Gr??en,
                                Ellyn Pit-Larson

Comment

Working...
                                X