Seat cushion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat cushion?

Just wondering what everyone uses for a wheelchair seat cushion. Are there any new kinds out there? What have you used that has worked?

Thanks, Clint
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"

Decades back I started with a Roho and it's a fine cushion but experienced repeated puncture leaks. Never had much luck with patching them myself and even with the quick turnaround repair service offered by Roho, it's inconvenient.
    For the past many years, I've been using Supracor Stimulite cushions -- the Classic and the Sport. They are lightweight, easy to clean, maintenance free and virtually indestructible. AND comfortable. So, barring a specific need for a specific type of cushion, I don't think you can go wrong with a Stimulite.
    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

My husband has a Varilite Evolution PSV seat cushion, and we are very happy with it. He also has a Supracor Stimulite Silver cushion, but he only uses that in the shower because it is not an everyday cushion. Both are good and light weight. We like the Varilite because he can adjust the amount of air. The Supracor Stimulite is nice because you can wash it.

Seating is a big deal, and it's probably a good idea to get a seating evaluation done and demo different types before you choose. This was not an option for us, but overall we are happy with what we chose.
      Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Your best bet is to get a seating evaluation with pressure mapping on different cushions to determine which one is best for you. I've had problems with Roho's myself. A couple of times they've gotten really low on me and caused sores which later required surgery. It's important to keep up on your cushion everyday, Especially if it is air filled. Good luck on your quest
        C-5/6, 7-9-2000
        Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

I use a Roho Qaudtro, it's been less than a year and I haven't gotten any leaks. It's changed my life in that I no longer have to transfer and can stay in my chair. Huge difference. I am worried about leaks but they haven't happened to me yet and I am hoping they don't. If it does become a problem I will look at other cushions. I tried a Varilite once at an Abilities Expo and found it hard and uncomfortable. I am open minded though and would try it again, maybe they have softer ones and I might just have a different experience the next time. The thing I have realized as that the right cushion makes a huge difference.

Comment

Roho Mosaic, likely the cheapest Roho thats worth a try, outperformed every cushion on my seating evaluation. Can get one on ebay for $65. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roho-Mosaic-...item2c5636c1bb
            c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Comment

I tried a Stimulite Supracor cushion. I tried it 3 different times and got 3 pressure ulcers. The problem I have is heat but my physiatrist is researching a new and cooler Roho.

Good luck.
              Millard
              ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

I've been using the Supracor Stimulite for about 5 years with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Millard View Post
                  I tried a Stimulite Supracor cushion. I tried it 3 different times and got 3 pressure ulcers. The problem I have is heat but my physiatrist is researching a new and cooler Roho.

Good luck.
                  Stimulites are more breathable (and thus cooler) than Rohos. I use both.

Comment

Ditto on seat mapping and it being very personal for what works best. You really need to get out there and try things.

Since I don't have paralysis, my insurance would only cover a'general use' cushion which was awful. It was a comfort company curve. Next a friend sent me a Jay combi which was a step up. Then I bought an Invacare infinity off eBay, another step up. Then a vicair vector which has been the best so far and the first one to allow me to stay in my chair the length of time needed. But I still haven't found the perfect cushion because heat is an issue, and I really need a lower cushion because my rsh is too high and as low as my chair can go. So I'm hoping a stimulite might be the ticket, and will try to get a demo or something from voc rehab. I was moving forward on that but had setbacks. Good luck!
                    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

I use the Comfort Company's Adjuster. I needed more dump, and simply added/removed air cells to achieve that. I mapped very well - it's super comfortable - I have sensation so don't need it for pressure distribution, but they mapped me anyway.
                      Chas
                      TiLite TR3
                      Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                      I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                      <
                      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

supracor for me classic xs. been using for many years never even red spot. they wick heat and moisture. I've never been a roho fan in my 28 yrs. rolling. never been mapped, I think it can make ppl complacent with their skin checks etc. we need to know our bodies.
                        Bike-on.com rep
                        John@bike-on.com
                        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I've used the Supracor Stimulite Classic XS for years and they have worked well for me. I did get an inch of extra cushioning put in one (over and above the XS).

A lot depends on you, different people need very different cushions depending on their medical situation. I'm a para and never had a serious pressure sore, so I can get by with a simpler cushion than some.

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                          Decades back I started with a Roho and it's a fine cushion but experienced repeated puncture leaks. Never had much luck with patching them myself and even with the quick turnaround repair service offered by Roho, it's inconvenient.
                          For the past many years, I've been using Supracor Stimulite cushions -- the Classic and the Sport. They are lightweight, easy to clean, maintenance free and virtually indestructible. AND comfortable. So, barring a specific need for a specific type of cushion, I don't think you can go wrong with a Stimulite.

Comment

I use a combination of a Roho Quattro over top a Varilite CPB.

I have little meat on my butt, or back of legs, with very prominent sit bones and trochanters. Despite being an incomplete para, and in quite a bit of motion below my injury level throughout the day, I am still considered at high risk. Because I move a lot, shearing is of particular concern. The Roho is considered the most effective cushion at minimizing shearing forces. Being so bony I also require quite a lot of contouring in my cushion for proper support, with good posture, while simultaneously off loading pressure from "hot spots" caused by bony prominences. The Varilite CPB provides the customized shaping capabilities, for managing both. It isn't exactly an off-the-shelf solution, however, by adding these 2 products together I have achieved something that even my seating consultants could not improve upon. Not even using a fully custom orthotic cushion (which they tried).

I've also come to appreciate the significant role backrests play in the pressure/posture equation. Both back and cushion need to be taken into account, considered as a unit, relative to one another, when putting together an optimal seating solution. Frame geometry, also, of course, but that is beyond the scope of the immediate question.

It suffices to say, taking a holistic approach to seating, and having professional consultation, is very important. The cushion is but one piece of the puzzle. Especially if your level of risk is not minimal.
                            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

skoalongcut,

Regarding "Are there any new kinds out there?"

Yes, there is a new "X" line of Vicair cushions, the most configurable of them being the maunfacturer's Vicair Vector X cushion.

Comment

Working...
                              X