Best Hydrophilic catheter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Hydrophilic catheter?

Hi. To any and all... What is the best hydrophilic coated catheter these days? Or which one offers most lubrication?
    I have been using Lofric for years but have noticed a severe lack of coating which has resulted in a pissed off urethra and much pain!
    Please share any info on this topic.

Thanks,
    roller

I am a LoFric user myself and noticed a change in the coating. I think we need to get after the manufacturer and let them know. There is strength in numbers!

Comment

Hollister just came out with a new one that we are looking at seriously. You might want to ask for samples from the various companies that offer these to try out.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by GinoL View Post
        I am a LoFric user myself and noticed a change in the coating. I think we need to get after the manufacturer and let them know. There is strength in numbers!
        I called them today and they said they had made changes and that someone would be calling me? They took fixed and broke it, lets hope they can reverse that

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          Hollister just came out with a new one that we are looking at seriously. You might want to ask for samples from the various companies that offer these to try out.

(KLD)
          Thanks, I will contact them Monday

Comment

Still looking for a replacement male single use hydrphilic coated catheter. Used Lofric for years but they are now junk. Looking for similar, no included bag or anything, just hydrophilic catheter in its wrapper that you soak to activate?? Anyone???

Comment

Have you tried speedicath? I'm female but the female speedicath compact are my fav catheters of all time. I tried a lot in my short period of intermittent cathing before going to a suprapubic because I had a lot of difficulty and pain.
              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by roller View Post
                Still looking for a replacement male single use hydrphilic coated catheter. Used Lofric for years but they are now junk. Looking for similar, no included bag or anything, just hydrophilic catheter in its wrapper that you soak to activate?? Anyone???
                I use Coloplast hydrophilic catheters. No complaints.
                KB

Comment

http://www.sportaid.com/rusch-flocat...-male-fem.html

Slicker than snot lube with tap water. I'm bad for re-using caths for weeks on end (not recommended as per SCI-Nurse et al) and the coating lasts. Best ones I've used, I had a lot of troubles straight-cathing for the first few years, these just slide right in.

Comment

Originally posted by tooley View Post
                    http://www.sportaid.com/rusch-flocat...-male-fem.html

Slicker than snot lube with tap water. I'm bad for re-using caths for weeks on end (not recommended as per SCI-Nurse et al) and the coating lasts. Best ones I've used, I had a lot of troubles straight-cathing for the first few years, these just slide right in.
                    Is the price just for one catheter or a box of how many?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                      Is the price just for one catheter or a box of how many?
                      box of 30. First couple I did buy to try and prove to my Dr we should try something else. Actually I guy from Cali was up visiting a friend of mine and gave/showed me the closed system version he used. Couldn't believe how they just fell in my bladder.

The closed system, yikes, all I could think of was all that plastic sitting in the landfill for eons. I always hated the amount of waste this life entails, especially in rehab. I'm not an environmentalist, just hate taking out the trash.

An older teammate told me about a Nam vet he knew once. He said the guy would keep a cath inside the brim of his ball-cap, no wrapper, and re-used the thing for years lubing it with spit. Never got an infection. "Once you become immune to a set batch of bacteria you're fine." It got me thinking....

I carry a little man-purse under my chair with cath in wrapper I re-use for months, tube of lube, and an empty water bottle. I never get infections anymore... chlorine from the swimming pool cleaning out my pee-hole almost daily could be a contributor but besides that I am a pig. When I read about people doing clean technique with brand new catheters and all this vetericyn talk I just shake my head at how lucky I am.

Comment

To me Speedicath (Coloplast) are the best (not the compact ones). They are already in their own "water", so no contamination when adding water either.
                        Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

I used to use the Lo-Fric Hydro kits, but switched to the SpeediCath Compact Male Closed System. The material of the catheter seemed gentler on the urethra and the ease of use was better. I felt like it was the first well thought out advance in catheter technology in a while. As somebody who gets a UTI when the wind blows the wrong way, these seemed like a step up. I also felt like these did a better job of protecting the catheter from unnecessary contamination.

I agree about plastic waste though... Since I use the closed system the waste does seem to pile up. I'm trying to come up with a good art project for the blue caps. (huge Lite-Brite project?)

M

Comment

I have used them all and the best I found is self cath plus by coloplast

Comment

The IQ-Cath, hands down. These aren't available in the US yet, but they are popular in Europe and they are available in Canada, where I live. They are made in Germany by a company that was started by a quad named Manfred Sauer. Great products..seriously. It was awful for me to discover that the stock caths you get in rehab are like sticking a wire in ..scar tissue, infections, false passages, etc. After years of that I eventually went to hydrophilics and this is the best of the bunch I've tried, although the others are good too. The key to the IQ-Cath is that they have a flexible tip with a rounded end so it gets past anything..I mean anything! This video blew my mind when I saw it..it's a bit long at 7 min, but worth the explanation and better than I could say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i73ZO2KhjH4 K, thanks for starting this thread. Great to hear the info from my peeps. Cheers, Dig

Comment

Working...
                              X