Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tilite composite scissor locks average life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilite composite scissor locks average life?

Does anyone have an idea of the average life you can expect from the Tilite composite scissor locks? I have a pair, maybe a little over year. Would need to verify that. Anyhow, it seems the rivets have worn significantly. Enough that the brake essentially will "wobble" while locked. This allows chair to then do the same. 1 lock continually unlocks itself.

Can you private message me with your serial number on your chair? We can take a look at this for you. Thanks.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

Comment

I have had one that the spring broke less than a year. The other side will pop unlocked at will which has caused me to fall out of my chair once.

Comment

Originally posted by cfx View Post
        I have had one that the spring broke less than a year. The other side will pop unlocked at will which has caused me to fall out of my chair once.
        Can you private message me with your serial number and we can take a look at it for you?
        TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

Comment

Tilite, I will send PM tomorrow, Wednesday. I just need to go get the documentation for you. Just as information, I have not done anything to chair other than change from push-to-lock TO the scissor.

Comment

I had the spring break on push-to-lock fairly quick after purchase chair. That was when I change to scissor.

Comment

I was wondering how well the composite would hold up. Does anyone make an aluminum scissor brake?

Comment

Rivets? Do you really mean rivets? I have composite scissors that were on a ZRA which are all nut and bolt construction.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtsang View Post
                  I was wondering how well the composite would hold up. Does anyone make an aluminum scissor brake?
                  I have aluminum scissor locks on my Icon.

Ironically, I just broke a spring on one this morning. It surprisingly doesn't have any effect on how well the lock holds in place, but it doesn't "snap" into the unlocked position like it used to.

Comment

Yes, I seriously mean rivets. I do believe entire goal of TR3 and titanium was to make the chair as light as possible. Adding fractions in weight was not the goal. The chair is very light and I will not add add-ons and increase the weight. The brakes will wear, no matter what they are made of. Was just wondering how long they will last because the one is continually popping open and chair surely not as stable as it was when locked. If you use the chair with brake locked and stand or do transfer, the brake will unexpectedly unlock and, kaboom, you go sailing onto the floor or into something. This has happened to me. Have not hurt myself yet and hope not to. I do like the composite but there may be something better than the rivet.

Comment

Yes they are rivets. When my spring broke I was like no big deal replace spring for penny's. Not the case. I have had one side that unlocks all the time with transfers or just sitting talking to someone. Pop! and there I go.

Comment

I have had my chair 3 years i think and no issues with the composite locks on mine, although i rarely use them.
                        T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

If your brake pops out, try to move the brake arm a little farther out. Maybe it is not fully in the canteleavered locked position (ie. it isn't fully engaged). If you don't want to try adjusting the arm, try less air pressure to simulate this and see if it still pops out. If you go too far out, your brakes won't hold as well.

My Quickie compact sissor locks also have rivets holding them together. They do loosen up a little and allow the tire to rock a small amount (not slip), but nothing significant though.

I consider these brakes a consumable item. It all depends on how often you use them and how much stress you put on them when they are locked.

Comment

These are rivets on the arm. There is only a single rivet that holds it. I will post some pictures later. My camera not great so I need play with the flash.

Have thought about moving a bit farther out and see what happens. These are about 15 months old. There were no previous issues. I simply think it is wear Was really wondering the life. They won't last forever. No different than brakes on a car.

I not like the less air pressure. Do understand exactly what you are saying. Like extremely high pressure. Chair rolls far better and far less resistance.

Do aluminum scissor lock mount in same position as the composite? Meaning, do you have 360 degree travel available to hand when pushing or does hand smash into lock like a push or pull to lock? My hands are always in different location based on what I am doing.

Comment

I am not a lawyer, but should someone get injured worse than we all are simply because the brake unlocks unexpectedly, I think Tilike could get into a lot of trouble. Look at the brake issue, GM, I think, is going through right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X