No announcement yet.

Quickie 2 wheelchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw the smart drive that's pretty cool that would def help a lot thanks for the tips what about Tilite aero x goood chair?

Comment

I already got a letter from my doctor for a lightweight wheelchair but will medicare cover a Tilite chair?

Comment

TiLite Aero chairs have aluminum frames by default. I love my TiLite AeroZ (Series 1, rigid). From what I've read, Medicare will readily cover aluminum chairs (including TiLite's), but needs a compelling medical reason to pay for a titanium frame chair. (VA provides my equipment, so I don't have personal knowledge regarding Medicare.)
        Chas
        TiLite TR3
        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
        <
        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by Lumsta View Post
          I already got a letter from my doctor for a lightweight wheelchair but will medicare cover a Tilite chair?
          Yes. There is some kind of K000X that goes along with what the doctor wrote. It will match the chair type you can select. And if what I read here is true, you cannot upgrade. You get what the system will let you have.
          I've only used medicare once which was for a Supracore cushion. In my case I had to get pre-authorized from my insurance and then go to the durable medical equipment supplier DME of *their* choice. It was a long and drawn out process and not fun. In the end I paid out more copay than what they go for on the used market.
          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Hi Lumsta, welcome! Just a thought, but get another prescription from your doctor that says "ultra-lightweight." The one I have is in the lightweight class and weighs more than 33 pounds! Not lightweight to me! I'm in the process of a new chair and have to keep reminding the therapist "ULTRA" lightweight.

The script from your doc. has to be pretty specifically written. There are samples of scripts online, but I can't remember where Maybe on Medicare website. My reason for needing ultra lightweight is ,I'm not getting any younger and this heavy thing is starting to cause shoulder and wrist problems. Now I need to find a seating and mobility person that is certified and knows how to measure me and fit the chair to me. That's another long detailed form (sigh.) I am not looking forward to this at all lol

Keep us posted and good luck.

K9
            Ban the DEED,Not the BREED!

Comment

I just did a search on the site for "medicare wheelchair" and came up with a long list. I did not read through them all, but there is probably a wealth of information for you if you search on it. I tried to send the search link, but it did not work.
              Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Wow who thought this would be so stressful

Comment

I don't mean to get you down, but it is a stressful process. I think if you plan on spending a fair amount of time on research it will make it less stressful, so you don't have to rely on dealers for everything, with a big potential of not getting what you need. This site has a lot of information, and I think the best resource on the web for ultralights.
                  Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Wow who thought this would be so stressful
                    So many options exist for ultra-light chairs, and available features differ considerably among manufacturers. Will this be your first chair?
                    Chas
                    TiLite TR3
                    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                    <
                    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

It would be my first normal chair lol I would get those standard heavy ones like hospital ones now I sent the prescription for a lightweight chair now I think i made a mistake should of said ultra lightweight

Comment

Here is an explanation of Medicare's Medical Equipment coding document (These codes are called HCPCS):

Note "Lightweight" = K0003, and "UltraLightweight" = K0005

Every wheelchair salable in the USA is assigned an HCPCS code (check the manufacturers' websites and/or order forms; you'll see them). This is why K9Sports mentioned the Rx terminology. If the Rx says "Lightweight," you'll get another hospital chair. Good quality chairs intended for permanent use are coded K0005. K0003s are intended for temporary use (e.g., recovery from surgery). Very few doctors understand the coding/terminology; wheelchair clinicians (e.g., PT, OT) do.

TiLite and a few others specializes in K0005s. Quickie and some others produce all codes of chairs. DMEs suppliers push only those brands they represent, and of those, they promote the ones from which they make the most profit. Never trust a DMEs suggestion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HCPCS K0001-K0009 explained.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	2657325
                        Dang - the pic won't show. I'll keep trying. - I give up for now. Perhaps it will show later.

Instead of a pic, here's a link to 2014 HCPCS codes for wheelchairs and accessories.
                        Last edited by chasmengr; 12 Mar 2014, 10:42 PM.
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3

<
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Oh okay thank you man since the prescription was sent out for approval what can I do to change this now? Any ideas can I Cancel it

Comment

Oh okay thank you man since the prescription was sent out for approval what can I do to change this now? Any ideas can I Cancel it
                            Call your doctor's office and explain what you now know and ask for their assistance to correct the prescription and to get the approval process corrected.
                            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Ok I called she put it in the computer for ultra lightweight chair so it should work? Right

Comment

Yep. You'll need to double check when the equipment supplier begins making suggestions, though. Just make sure it's a K0005 chair; many people in the industry use the terms "lightweight" and "ultralightweight" carelessly/interchangeably. Every chair you look at will have a K code. Very soon you'll be able to recognize the difference between K0005 and K0003 with a quick look.
                                Chas
                                TiLite TR3

<
                                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                                X