TiLite Camber Bar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TiLite Camber Bar Question

How many of you received your new TiLite wheelchair with spacers on the camber bar? It seems to me if you specify what the rear wheel spacing should be, the camber bar should be built to that spec with no spacers. I know it's probably not a big issue for some, but I rather not have the need to modify the camber bar in any way. That being no spacers.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

To me the presence or absence of spacers on the original camber bar would depend on the original tire width.

My expectation would be that the spacers enable future tire width changes while keeping the original spacing. Thus if my original tires were wide, I'd hope spacers would come installed so I could switch to narrow tires, and remove spacers to keep tire spacing the same.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Our ZRA received March 2013 did not have spacers. My expectation is that the camber tube should be the width as measured for the chair and rear wheel spacing without spacers. I think if people want spacers due to different hub widths they should specify this as an exception. Otherwise there would be no way of knowing how to measure, and you might end up with more spacers than optimal if you were switching to a different hub width.
      Last edited by elarson; 2 Mar 2014, 6:48 AM. Reason: added info
      Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

I agree with elarson. My ZRA has 6 degrees of camber and because of that I went with extra spacing to accommodate the extra camber. My tube (CF) has no spacers.

Originally posted by elarson View Post
        Our ZRA received March 2013 did not have spacers. My expectation is that the camber tube should be the width as measured for the chair and rear wheel spacing without spacers. I think if people want spacers due to different hub widths they should specify this as an exception. Otherwise there would be no way of knowing how to measure, and you might end up with more spacers than optimal if you were switching to a different hub width.

Comment

My TR3 has 2 deg camber and no spacers.
          SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
          T4,5,6 Incomplete
          Chair: TiLite TR3

Comment

The one who has seen the most is SCI-OTR. My guess is that the default is without spacers as I remember them being offered as a free tag along (not installed) option.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I figured it would be built to spec requested on CAD. My new TiLite came with 3 spacers on each side.

Comment

Originally posted by ResonantEcho View Post
                I figured it would be built to spec requested on CAD. My new TiLite came with 3 spacers on each side.
                Three? How much space does three on one side use?
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                  Three? How much space does three on one side use?
                  I'm sorry. I looked at it again and it has two spacers on each side. They look to be an 1/8" in width.

My chair is 17" wide with a four degree camber. I asked for .75" on the rear wheel spacing. What would you expect to be installed on the wheelchair? With a zero degree camber that would make the width of the camber bar 18.5". Obviously, the 4 degree camber would increase that. The width of the camber bar as delivered is 17 3/4".

Comment

I agree with your assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                      I agree with elarson. My ZRA has 6 degrees of camber and because of that I went with extra spacing to accommodate the extra camber. My tube (CF) has no spacers.
                      What is the width of your ZRA? And the width of your camber bar?

Comment

Maybe this has something to do with the Golz wheels? I don't know if this helps, but these are the parts as listed in the parts store:

AS102897-Z TITANIUM CAMBER TUBE 4? CAMBER http://estore.tilite.com/ecommerce/C...D=660&IID=3515

CP105857 24" GOLZ WHEEL. BLACK http://estore.tilite.com/ecommerce/C...1070&IID=19760

AS100945-Z REAR WHEEL SPACING PACKAGE This is what nonoise mentioned that is listed in the order forms as "Additional Spacers to Increase Rear Wheel Spacing" that is a no charge option NCO. http://estore.tilite.com/ecommerce/C...D=662&IID=2552
                        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by ResonantEcho View Post
                          I'm sorry. I looked at it again and it has two spacers on each side. They look to be an 1/8" in width.

My chair is 17" wide with a four degree camber. I asked for .75" on the rear wheel spacing. What would you expect to be installed on the wheelchair? With a zero degree camber that would make the width of the camber bar 18.5". Obviously, the 4 degree camber would increase that. The width of the camber bar as delivered is 17 3/4".
                          I'm no expert at this, but had to figure out the measurements because we ordered a chair with TiLite Shadow wheels with the intention to replace them with Spinergy LX wheels. We were also adding D's Locks and needed room to fit the adapter on the camber tube.

As I understand it, the camber tube plug and how far it recesses into the the hub could be accounting for some of the difference in your measurements. The inboard bearing recess is different dependent on the hubs. I think the camber tube plug is what accounts for the degree of camber (can someone correct me if I am wrong?). Rear Wheel Spacing is measured from outside of seat back post to inside of rear tire, so that has an affect too.

Figuring out the measurements was not easy for me, and why I think the camber tube should be exact for the chair width/wheel/tire combination you order, without spacers. We only have a few millimeters to spare on the camber tube after installing the D's Locks, and if they would have added the spacers you have, it possibly would not have worked. I've attached photo's of the camber tube before and after the D's Locks adapter to show this. I've also attached a drawing from Topilino that shows hub inboard bearing recess differences in relation to the camber tube that I think is helpful (I used it to make drawings of our hubs).

Click image for larger version

Name:	camber tube before d's locks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	2657294

Name:	camber tube after d's locks.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	2657295

Name:	Topolino Bearing Spacing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	2657296

To make a long story short (ha, ha), my guess is that they probably have camber tubes cut for the most common chair width/wheel/tire combinations, and standard camber plugs based on the degree of camber, and then add spacers for the not so common, like the Golz wheels.

Can you post a photo of the end of your camber tube? I'm also curious to see what a 4 degree looks like relative to our 2 degree.
                          Last edited by elarson; 4 Mar 2014, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I'm no expert at this, but had to figure out the measurements because we ordered a chair with TiLite Shadow wheels with the intention to replace them with Spinergy LX wheels. We were also adding D's Locks and needed room to fit the adapter on the camber tube.

As I understand it, the camber tube plug and how far it recesses into the the hub could be accounting for some of the difference in your measurements. The inboard bearing recess is different dependent on the hubs. I think the camber tube plug is what accounts for the degree of camber (can someone correct me if I am wrong?). Rear Wheel Spacing is measured from outside of seat back post to inside of rear tire, so that has an affect too.

Figuring out the measurements was not easy for me, and why I think the camber tube should be exact for the chair width/wheel/tire combination you order, without spacers. We only have a few millimeters to spare on the camber tube after installing the D's Locks, and if they would have added the spacers you have, it possibly would not have worked. I've attached photo's of the camber tube before and after the D's Locks adapter to show this. I've also attached a drawing from Topilino that shows hub inboard bearing recess differences in relation to the camber tube that I think is helpful (I used it to make drawings of our hubs).

[ATTACH]54491[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH]54492[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH]54494[/ATTACH]

To make a long story short (ha, ha), my guess is that they probably have camber tubes cut for the most common chair width/wheel/tire combinations, and standard camber plugs based on the degree of camber, and then add spacers for the not so common, like the Golz wheels.

Can you post a photo of the end of your camber tube? I'm also curious to see what a 4 degree looks like relative to our 2 degree.
                            Hey there! Thanks for taking the time to give your input. Very detailed. It's much appreciated.

I'll take some photos for you when I get home from work.

Comment

Here you go.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X