Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CASTERS !! manual chair - Like/Dislike recommendations. what are you running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CASTERS !! manual chair - Like/Dislike recommendations. what are you running?

I'm in need of some new casters. Just wondering what everyone is running. What they've had issues with etc.
    What do you like and recommend ?

Anybody identify these? They run well but use a non-standard bearing, so haven't been able to change the bearings, end up taking them apart and cleaning them.
    When I say non-standard, they have an extra piece which is press fitted to the bearing, that I can't get off, and if I did I'd never get it onto a fresh bearing, kind of a spacer I guess.

They may be the TiLite softrolls. I use 5" x 1.4" Froglegs Softrolls. They are large enough to not drop into many cracks, and give a softer ride. They use standard bearings. I also use Froglegs Unitines forks. They are very rugged, good looking, and make changing bearings a 2 minute job.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

To reduce annoying flutter, I switched from the standard Tilite 6x1.4" aluminum hub SoftRoll casters to FrogLegs 5x1.4" aluminum hub Epic SoftRolls (http://www.froglegsinc.com/collectio...-wheel-5-x-1-4).
      Chas
      TiLite TR3
      Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
      I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
      <
      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Those are the stock casters that came with the Marvel. Made by them, at the time, iirc. Not an available product, any longer, I don't think, unless someone is still selling them. I might still have the set I pulled off my Marvel, in my parts bin. Swapped them day one for Frog Legs, which perform much better, IMO. If I have them I could send them to you. I recommend FL, though.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

5" x 1.5" PLASTIC W/POLY CASTERS, they roll great on rough surface down the hill
          c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Comment

I liked them well enough. If you have no use for them I'd use them.. the pair I have now have worn out the tires. The bearings on them are pretty good, like I said was unable to change them, but was able to take them apart and clean them and re-assemble them.

Comment

I prefer the

For the only reason you can take the wheel apart and put the tire back on, when it gets caught in gaps in the concrete and the tire gets ripped off the wheel. This has happened to me on numerous occasions and it's pretty much impossible for me to get the tire back onto the wheel unassisted.
              This happened to me with nearly all the casters I have had including the ti-lite soft rolls.

Wondering are ti-lite soft rolls made by ti-lite or just re-badged from someone else?

Originally posted by russianboss
              5" x 1.5" PLASTIC W/POLY CASTERS, they roll great on rough surface down the hill

Comment

http://www.froglegsinc.com/collections/wheels

So FrogLeg soft rolls.

Hypothetically if you weren't worried about the adjustment you would have to make to your chair, what would you run as an outside caster ?

Narrow or Wide?

3" , 4", 5" or 6" diameter?

6" and Wide, would seem to make the most sense, but then what do people find happens in Real Life?

Of course they don't look so cool! 6" * 2"

not like the 6" *1.4"

OH!!! they come in a bunch for pretty colors. who knew

Comment

5", 1.5"wide is my overall performance favorite. If I'm off the tarmac I'm on a Freewheel, but, 5" FL works well everywhere and barely out weighs the 4" since the latest change to the hub milling pattern a few years back.
                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Frog Legs, my son loves them.

Comment

The heavier the caster, the the slower you'll be able to go before they start fluttering. The larger the caster, the heavier it is. So generally, larger casters flutter at slower speeds than smaller casters . . . but other variables are involved, too. You really won't know until you use them. I like 5x1.4 FL, but they can flutter at high speeds (e.g., coasting down a hill), which is dangerous because they suddenly flutter drastically, and abruptly slow the chair.
                      Chas
                      TiLite TR3
                      Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                      I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                      <
                      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

No Title

I'm totally sold on the 4"x1.4" Frog Legs casters/Unitine combo. I've had them on my ZR1, ZR2 and Halls chairs for years and have never encountered flutter at any speed, at any time.
                        stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I can see how the Unitine looks cool, and is probably a little less weight, but apart from that do they have any other advantages?

Comment

I have the 5" FL 'hardroll' casters. Not much to say, it's a wheel. But thought I'd give a thumbs up to the bearings they come with, they are sealed well. The bearings seem to last a lot longer going though winter snow slop without rusting out than what I'm used to before getting the FL wheels (frequent VXB sourced bearing replacements on my old wheels).

Comment

No Title

Originally posted by NW-Will
                              I can see how the Unitine looks cool, and is probably a little less weight, but apart from that do they have any other advantages?
                              It is very easy to change bearings and clean hair off the axle. Because the fork is one-sided, you can nose the front of the chair into tight spots without bumping the fork.
                              Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                              T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Working...
                              X