Anyone here use the mountain trike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here use the mountain trike?

I'm looking at getting one of these... but have not seen any locally- they say they can ship here now. Has anyone here tried one? Thanks

http://www.mountaintrike.com/

That's impressive. If I miraculously recovered grip strength (I'm a C7) I'd have one of these on order.

As it is, I'm wondering if some sort of tri-pin grip could be used in conjunction with a rotary cable actuator to work the brakes. If that rotary actuator already exists (maybe as a twist-grip gear shifter for bicycles) then the adaptation could be economically feasible. Otherwise, the quad-friendly slice of an already small market would make the development costs economically infeasible.

Comment

www.renegadewheelchairs.com 5 to 6 grand.
      C 5/6 Comp.
      No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

I looked at the renegade also- I think the independent back wheel steering of the Trike makes a big difference, especially coasting down hill. The back wheel also gives a leverage advantage the renegade doesn't have. But.. it is cheaper... barely.

Comment

DrZapp, did you get the moutain trike?

Comment

Dr zapp hasn't been back in 3 years. Probably won't get a response. Do you have a question about the trike you could post in a new thread?
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
              Dr zapp hasn't been back in 3 years. Probably won't get a response. Do you have a question about the trike you could post in a new thread?
              thanks Oddity, do you think it would be good etiquette to ask about the Trike in a new post? I partlty did not do it because i didn't get very much intel when i searched the forum...so figured no one has one. Which isn't that surprising considering how expensive it is.

Comment

Looks really inefficient and dangerous to me. No camber in the wheels would make going around corners, especially uneven dirt roads, dangerous for tipping over at any speed. The push arms look like they would break if a lot of effort was used on them. Small wheels he's using for front and rear do jack in softer surfaces such as sand or going over branches etc. on a trail.

I doubt a quad or higher para would have the lower core strength to use one in a rougher terrain. Rowing type cycles came out in the early '80's with the Row Cycle. It was basically a rowing machine on wheels. Was developed for the US Rowing Team I think back in the day. We put a pin thru the seat and slide rail to stop the back and forth motion. I had one when they first came out. Was a lot of fun but really tough for me being a higher para.

If you're looking for something that'll get you on the road but still want to be in your chair; look at the Stricker. I've been handcycling for 45 years. I never bought attachables because they were so inefficient. I bought a Stricker 18 months ago and am amazed how efficient it is. I like it even more than my tricked out Freedom Ryder. If you don't mind transferring out of your chair, there are lots of off road handcycles as well. I really like the ability to ride somewhere, detach the bike and go inside.

Comment

I tried something like the Mountain Trike already...the Grit Freedom Chair.

I did not like it. Mainly what i did not like was the lack of 'course correction'. It a barbaric system of having to pull back with one handle which rubs on the knobby tires...that's the brakes! Of course it kills your momentum. It was also surprisingly difficult to push on off-road terrain.

But i do seek a off road terrain system because i like having that as an option/not having to stick to paved surfaces. The mountain Trike looks like it has the features the Grit lacks...proper brakes and courst correction however i am leary of the front tipping/fact plant configuration. But i guess tipping frontward you can see/brace better than tipping over backwards?

Yes, i do think the levered system is not quite as efficient (a lot more levered arm movement for propulsion) as the hand rims but i like the idea of getting different muscles/mechanics involved. A testimonial from an acutal user here would help.

cheers

Comment

I hear ya C. It's why i went with the Row Cycle.; to work the opposing muscle groups that was harder to work.

Comment

1. Although this post is kinda old, I’ll respond anyway. Yes I have one, what did you want to know about it?

Comment

Working...
                      X