ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by takenaback View Post
    First of all it's unbelievable that you got five years out of batteries. All I did with the BMS was to get a carer to open the box unclip the little wire connectors and give it a bit of a blow, reconnect and Bob's your uncle. Not saying it will fix your problems.

Spinergy now have a new BMS as I have taken possession of a new ZX1 and I have to tell you something, the Poweriser batteries have some serious guts in comparison to the fusion lithium batteries. I know I was speaking highly of the fusion lithium batteries but I believe the Poweriser batteries are better. Just out of interest I swapped the batteries over and with the new BMS and I managed to get the old fusion batteries to bring the new ZX1 to a lock, in other words the BMS within the batteries acted, but that's okay apart from destroying the battery a little, I knew it would start up again after a couple of minutes so I wasn't stuck. Something I am yet to test with the Poweriser batteries as I haven't been able to get them in slow mode at all. I really want to be sure if the internal battery BMS causes an absolute lock/stop that the battery will come to life again.

I've got several chargers but they're all the same.

Mate no doubt you've got the NDIS get a new ZX1! It's great to have two functional ones.

Cheers
    Steve
    Thanks so much Steve, that info on BMS is great and will try it.
    Interesting how much better the Poweriser seem to be. My old set are still functional. What symptoms do you see that indicate batteries are worn out? That info would be interesting for all.

Will PM you about where you got your new ZX-1 from. They'd have chargers too (need a spare). May try for a new ZX-1 in next NDIS Plan, next year, unless this one fails.

Cheers Colin
    Just love inventing stuff.

Comment

The symptoms I see when the fusion batteries are starting to fail is that it will go into slow mode for the usual 30 seconds or thereabouts climbing moderate slopes and just progressively gets worse going into slow mode on very minor bumps, not to mention needs more frequent charging and the distance one can travel is not the same. I hope the Poweriser ones don't as they sound promising. So I would normally through 2 fusion batteries every two years but since the NDIS has arrived as soon I see them starting to fail, so a set every year.

There is only one distributor in Australia as far as I know and that is Melrose. Unbelievably bad service, have to wait ages and keep following up.

When you do your next NDIS plan make sure you put the ZX1 as part of your goals not that you'd have any problem anyway. You could buy a new charger out of your consumables and that might not be a bad idea considering the wait time for arrival.

Cheers
      Steve
      Last edited by takenaback; 31 Oct 2020, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Melrose were the only Aussie ones I found and sent off enquiry as to if they sell and service ZX-1s yesterday. Will be interesting how long they take to respond.
        Will add ZX-1 to next planning as never know when they may even be stopped being manufactured - always a risk when we find something good.
        Cheers
        Colin
        Just love inventing stuff.

Comment

My ZX is collecting dust these days. 20mph AND I can throw this in the boot!
          I'll provide details and a thread when I get tired of actually doing things.
          Attached Files
          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
          NW NJ

Comment

Hi guys,
            you'll see below, the ugliest mod you've ever seen on a device. I'm not proud of it , and he ZX-1 doesn't deserve it by far, but I'm still in quest of the ultimate battery, so…
            As I had, after a mistake/issue on an order, a 24V-26A Li-Ion handbike battery for spare without use in my backyards, the idea came to make a transplant on my ZX-1. Mine is now 6 years old, and the originals LiFePo batts are pretty worn out, with less than 1/3 of the range. And my reseller, a nice guy as you can imagine, asks me nothing less but 1200$ for a new set.
            So, it appears that this Li-Ion batt without any modifications, works fine on the ZX-1 (I'm still in the test phase) We've just used the top enclosure of an old batt (the green part) because we were too lazy to search the good connectors in my garage… A generous amount of Duck tape to secure it on the armrests, and it was DONE !
            The only thing I had to remove on the ZX-1 is (see pict) that I believe is the external BMS for LiFePo batts. It wasn't starting until we unplugged it.
            Of course, I don't want, if it works fine, to keep it "as is". I want to put as much as possible this batt under the hood.
            We've dismantled it, it's made of 70 (7x10 in serial) cells 2,6V-2,6A.
            So what do you think guys, is the best solution ? My first idea was to "cut" it in half, 30cells on one side, 20cells+BMS on the other, and a big wire between both parts, so it stays "one" (by "side" and "other" I mean in the place of the std batts). I'm not sure, but it seems to have enough room. I hope to be clear.
            Another solution: we can totally separate all the cells, and rebuild 2 new batts. It can be using 40 out of 70 to make 2 elements, each one with 20 cells (2x10 in serial), and a suited BMS I can buy separately.
            So I need your input guys, What do you think ?

C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
            my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
            Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Comment

I applaud you, sir!
              Defenitely on the right track.
              How about a "wrap around" battery pack with one BMS?
              Bring the wiring out of the first pack and give it enough length to "saddle" the ZX1 frame.
              Then drive the damn thing about 20 miles,........er..33k. Maybe a little optimistic, at least 12/20?
              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
              NW NJ

Comment

I think you are on the right track and should separate the two halves but keep it wired as one 24v battery.

But I am worried about the battery you are using. Are you sure it is 24v? Li-ion cells have a nominal voltage of 3.7v. A 24v li-ion pack would have 7 cells in series not 10. 36v packs have 10 cells in series. If your pack is 24v with 70 cells it would be in a 7s10p, meaning you could split it 7s5p on each side. A better way would be 3s10p on one side and 4s10p on the other connected in series. In this configuration you would only need to run one balance wire to each of the 7 series cells. In a 2x 7s5p pack connected in parallel you would have to run double the balance wires, 7 wires to each half. You could put the bms on the 3s side.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing. Post a picture of the cells if you have any.

Comment

ive been using my zx-1 as needed for 3 years now and do love it. i dont use it often but when u need it, its there.
                  the upgraded batteries are a must, i wouldnd buy the standard batteries
                  just a little update
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com
                  c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                  sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Thank you all for your messages… Your help is grandly appreciated!
                    Maddog, you're totally right, those cells are 3,6V and not 2,6V as I've written. My bad here. You could see below a pict of this batt's guts, and the wiring diagram my buddy has made. It is as you say, a 7s10p (I was wrong here too !)
                    I also think the better option would be keeping this batt as "one" even if it's parts wired together. But it's more a room issue, I don't know if we can put all these under the bonnet.
                    I think we are going, at this point, to dismantle it gently and try to figure out how it can fit.

john, do you have a link to these upgraded batteries ? My ZX-1 is already running with Powerizer LiFePo, are they what you're thinking of ?

Comment

Ok, looking at the old battery specs you have 150x98x94mm size to work with. I am assume these are 18650 cells. 18mm diameter for each cell and 150mm to work with means max 8 cells in parallel but maybe only room for 7, I will assume 7. It should be easy to separate the battery along the lines I posted below. Separate the battery along the green line, you will have to cut what looks like 3 tin strips that would be on the bottom of the battery. These 3 cuts will separate the pack into a 3s and a 4s. Next find out the max length you can have and cut the strips across the blue line at either the 7th or 8th cell. You will also have to make that same cut on the bottom of the battery. The only thing left is to solder a wire from the 3s positive to the 4s negative to bridge the cut you made earlier when you separated them along the green line. The balance wires were left long from the factory so you probably don't need to add length to them. 3 green cuts, 14 blue cuts, solder one wire and you are ready to go. 7s7p would give you a 18.2ah battery and 7s8p would give you 20.8ah. Click image for larger version

Name:	zx1e.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	2905913

Comment

NICE ! For sure Maddog that's an input ! Thank you !
                        I think we're doing as you say, 7s7p or if possible, 7s8p. We'll figure out how we can put the max amount of cells under the tiny carbon bonnet of my ZX-1 without destroying it. Picts and news to come.

Comment

Working...
                        X