No announcement yet.

ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinnergy may bring it back they were having problems sourcing the batteries when the pandemic hit. Everybody over here wants the upgraded model so I think once they can get their hands on the batteries they will make available again. Fortunately I was able to find two batteries that are identical for pretty low cost as well
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

OK John, so on your side you are running with 2 brand new LiFePO4 batteries (the blue ones I guess) AND external BMS ?
      And for you, Spinergy is going to re-manufacture LiFePO versions as soon as they find a reliable battery supplier ?
      C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
      my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
      Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Comment

Originally posted by robotnik View Post
        OK John, so on your side you are running with 2 brand new LiFePO4 batteries (the blue ones I guess) AND external BMS ?
        And for you, Spinergy is going to re-manufacture LiFePO versions as soon as they find a reliable battery supplier ?
        yes 2 new blue batteries to spinergy specs and stock bms. if/when they can source the batteries i "think" they will offer upgraded battery version again due to popular demand. this is my opinion.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, the thing is nearly useless with the original batteries. I use it randomly; it's a coin flip! Do I leave it on the charger and shorten life or do I leave it off and it's nearly dead when I need it?
          It would be nice if there were a 24V trickle charger/battery tender for it.
          My old/seldom used Mercedes is on a battery tender and the Interstate Megatron in it is at least 15 years old!
          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
          NW NJ

Comment

So now, for all battery lovers, what happened to my “cheap spare 24V battery for the ZX-1” project ??
            First off, if you remember, the ZX rolled like a charm with a 24V-26Ah e-cycle battery that we had just wrapped with duct tape on the armrests. But since I'm a bit conscientious and a fan of "well done", I decided to modify this battery, something to hide under the carbon hood of the ZX. To achieve this, the best solution was to divide the battery into two parts, 4 rows of cells on one side and 3 on the other with the BMS, in total 7s8p or 24V-20.8Ah. Nice!
            BUT actually, we had a lot of problems, it took us a long time, I bought a lot of unnecessary parts, some useful (as a spot welder) and we ended up failing. As we were on the home stretch all the cells were soldered, the BMS was soldered, everything was nicely set up in the green battery boxes on the table, we did a final check with the multimeter.
            While there was 24V at the ends of the battery, there was only… 19V after the BMS, therefore at the level of the external sockets.
            We checked and re-checked everything. Everything was OK, and we believed that the BMS was faulty, or at least had to be reset (?). So we wanted to try it out on the ZX anyway.
            Nothing ! on the joystick, nothing has lit up. I must say that the external BMS (the one that controls the charge) was disconnected, as for our tests with the monobloc battery. So, to be sure, we reconnected it.
            There, we had a flashing red diode on the joystick, then 10 seconds after a smell of burning and a trickle of smoke: RIP external BMS !!
            Well, everything does not stop here. The new batteries I've ordered doesn't need this BMS. Fine, it's toasted ! As soon as my ZX-1 rolls again on his own, we'll go to work on the spare battery.

As we don't have 24V on the plugs, what do you think we must do guys ? Change the faulty BMS ? But what must I buy, 24V-20A ? 24V-30A ? Any help would be appreciated !
            C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
            my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
            Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Comment

Did you build a 7s battery with one bms or a 4s and 3s with two bms?
              When you say you had 24v at the battery but 19v after the bms was that after the battery bms or the zx1 bms?
              I am not familiar with the zx1 and don't know what the zx1 bms does, is it a simple over voltage under voltage protection device?
              It is very strange to not have the same voltage before and after the bms.
              The negative goes through the bms, is it possible you connected them backwards? The B- goes to the battery and P- (sometimes C-) goes to the zx1. If your bms had wires already soldered on, the blue goes to the battery negative and the black goes to the zx1 negative. It is easy to want to put the black wire on the battery. I don't know what would happen if this happened.

Comment

Working...
              X