ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    It looks like the rear caster is a 4".It's covered by the shroud so shouldn't be a problem.
    Thanks for the information.

Actually I wish the shroud didn't cover the rear caster, I was hoping it was low enough to roll under the edge of my kitchen cabinets.to give me more room to turn around.

I checked and if I back my manual chair up to where the rear tires are against the cabinets, the front on my chair is about 6 or 7" from the stove on the other side of the kitchen. Like I said, I got a narrow kitchen (@42"). I also spend a lot of time in the kitchen, I cook every day. It's something I enjoy.

I'm not trying to over analyze this but just don't want to spend $10,000, because I will have to buy a new manual chair too, and find out it wont work for what I want, which is to keep the functionality of a manual chair inside the house. Just in case your wondering, I can't go with power assist wheels because of the extra width.

Comment

When latched and loaded ( ), pop your wheels off and see how much better it works.
      The additional "space" should make for some pretty small "U" turns.
      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
      NW NJ

Comment

Good idea Phill, never thought of taking the rear wheels off except when changing the tires on the chair. Always made me a bit nervous taking off the wheels.

I don't use mine inside, just outside and agree the power assist wheels are not to my liking either.

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
          When latched and loaded ( ), pop your wheels off and see how much better it works.
          The additional "space" should make for some pretty small "U" turns.
          I don't have a ZX-1 to test your theory. But removing the wheels doesn't change the overall length. Maybe your right but it seem to me that the wheelchairs front footplate and the ZX-1 rear caster are going to be the deciding factor in how small of an area you can turn around in.

Have you ever measured the overall length of your chair and ZX-1? From what I've found it seems it would be @ 34-37 inches. Is that about right.
          Last edited by wes4dbt; 28 Jan 2021, 5:18 PM.

Comment

Seems the back of my tire is always being a limiting factor in tight quarters. Without it interfering, I could rotate the chair a whole lot before the castor of the ZX1 comes into play. Seems I'm ofter confounded when I have to pass near a wall to clear something, but then can't turn because as soon as I initiate, the push-rim is hitting that wall.
            NW NJ

Comment

Seems the back of my tire is always being a limiting factor in tight quarters. Without it interfering, I could rotate the chair a whole lot before the castor of the ZX1 comes into play. Seems I'm ofter confounded when I have to pass near a wall to clear something, but then can't turn because as soon as I initiate, the push-rim is hitting that wall.
              I understand what your saying, that is especially true when it comes to turning into a door way or some type of tight space. I was thinking in terms of what is the smallest possible 180deg turn a chair could do. But maybe your right, if you measure the diagonal from the front right corner of the footrest to the back of the left tire, that may be the limiting factor.

Would someone please measure the overall length of their chair and ZX-1 when attached? No hurry, when ever it's convenient, I'll check back. Thanks

Comment

Has everyone lost their measuring tapes????

Comment

well, it's difficult to measure when you're in the chair.......

.........and its damn cold out!

But I'll keep it in mind and maybe my wife can measure tomorrow.
                  NW NJ

Comment

well, it's difficult to measure when you're in the chair.......

.........and its damn cold out!

But I'll keep it in mind and maybe my wife can measure tomorrow.
                    Thanks

Comment

For reference, those are 12 inch tiles
                      Attached Files
                      NW NJ

Comment

Thanks for the photo's. I read it adds 3" and that looks about right. So if I measure my chair and add 3" it should be pretty close to the overall length.

Comment

hi guys,
                          Quick update about my battery project (remember: using a big LiPo 24V-26A e-bike battery instead of the two OEM LifePo4 12V15A) for my ZX-1
                          My first idea was to use the entire battery (with the Aluminium enclosure removed, it was not so big) but we failed. After wrapping the cells and BMS in Kidex thermoformable plastic sheets, it appears it had become…too big for a nice fit under the carbon ZX-1's hood. Space there is actually very narrow, and the solution was to put the battery "as is" without anything other than the paper coverage.
                          So, we are now working in another direction : cutting the battery in parts to have two 4s8p 12V-20,8A as Maddog explained previously and to put them in an enclosure similar to OEM's ones.
                          It was a hassle to cut and separate the cells, as they were glued together… We had to detach each one by one.
                          But now it's DONE, and I've ordered 2 BMS to fit with (4s, 3,7V and 30A, separate ports … I hope it will be OK…)
                          So let's wait and see !

C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
                          my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
                          Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Comment

Very Great!! I believe you will find "THE ANSWER"!
                            NW NJ

Comment

cutting the battery in parts to have two 4s8p
                              Remember you need to stay at 7s total so you need a 4s and a 3s. You can also continue to use the 7s bms you already have.

Comment

Originally posted by maddog View Post

Remember you need to stay at 7s total so you need a 4s and a 3s. You can also continue to use the 7s bms you already have.
                                Uhh ? I was expecting going to 4s+4s total ? What is the issue, if each battery has its own BMS ?
                                C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
                                my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
                                Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Comment

Working...
                                X