Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I found the VR2 Attendant Module for about $100 on eBay.co.uk, but it does not include the Dual Attendant Intermediate Cable. If anyone see's one of these at a good price, let me know.

    Originally posted by pattherat View Post
    There is one on ebay right now for $430.
    Attached Files
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

    Comment


      I managed to buy the Dual Attendant Intermediate Cable directly from PG Drives in the UK. Based on my experience with them in the past when I was going to order a programmer, it's cheaper than ordering through other channels and they are very quick to respond. Now I just need to figure out how to mount it.

      Update: I think a mobile phone mount I have may work for this. Stay tuned....
      Last edited by elarson; 1 Oct 2018, 1:54 PM.
      Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

      Comment


        I installed the VR2 - Dual Attendant Control today. It was really easy -- "plug n play" as mentioned by Pat. I did a quick lash-up for a mount with a cheap mobile phone holder and a lot of Gorilla glue. It will need something more robust, but is good enough for testing. I also had to order a joystick knob because what we bought is off of eBay and it was not included, but it's not here yet.

        Overall, it all seems to work and I am quite impressed with it, though this is my first experience with attendant controls and I'm quite limited with power equipment in general. It's really great to be able to take over control when we get into hectic situations, and we both feel safer having it. It will also be helpful in shops where it is easier for me to take control. We sometimes use a trailer that gets hitched to the wheelchair and it's really hard for my husband to maneuver when he can't see what is happening behind him..

        This might be a good option for others who may have a similar situation with vision problems, brain injury, etc. who need some help from time to time.

        I have some questions I hope to get some help with:

        I'm finding the steering is a bit wonky. It is not as easy to steer as the standard joystick and kind of swings around a bit. I did a reorientation of the joystick as described in the VR2 Technical Manual and all seemed fine with the flashing light indications. Possibly this is because the mount is not great, or the location aft, but I thought I would ask in case Pat or others have some tips.

        We programmed the VR2 with multiple drive profiles, rather than just the default of a single profile to increase and decrease speed. From the testing I have done with the Dual Attendant Control, it looks like the speed is only an increase and decrease of speed, rather than using the multiple drive profiles. Does anyone know if the Dual Attendant Control can be programmed similar to the the VR2 Joystick?

        Does anyone know of a cheap mounting solution? I would really like something that might be a bit higher so I don't have to lean down to operate it.

        Lastly, if Pat or others think I've not done this in a good way, i.e., cables, location, etc., please let me know. I took a leap on this and have no idea if I did it right.

        I've included some photos in case anyone is curious. Please excuse our photo bombing dog.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by elarson; 15 Oct 2018, 6:05 AM. Reason: to add photos
        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

        Comment


          My DME dropped off a new ZX-1 the other day. He hd to lower the anti tip mech. a couple holes. I notice he didn't change the rear gas struts height. Are they supposed to be level or is an angle, by a couple of holes, okay?

          Comment


            Originally posted by elarson View Post
            I'm finding the steering is a bit wonky. It is not as easy to steer as the standard joystick and kind of swings around a bit.
            Given the location of the drive wheels, you may feel that the attendant control is moving the opposite way. You may want to try inverting the left/right axis of the attendant control if the programmer allows that.

            We almost always do that on front wheel and midwheel drive powerchairs.

            Comment


              Nice to see you back SCI_OTR -- you have been missed.

              It's not really moving the opposite way, it is just not clearly moving in the direction it should and is kind of wavy. I'm not sure if the attendant control can be programmed, which is a bit of a shame. -- there is no programmer socket.

              Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
              Given the location of the drive wheels, you may feel that the attendant control is moving the opposite way. You may want to try inverting the left/right axis of the attendant control if the programmer allows that.

              We almost always do that on front wheel and midwheel drive powerchairs.
              Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

              Comment


                Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                My DME dropped off a new ZX-1 the other day. He hd to lower the anti tip mech. a couple holes. I notice he didn't change the rear gas struts height. Are they supposed to be level or is an angle, by a couple of holes, okay?
                I don't think it's critical as long as they compress yet provide some resistance.
                pat@beachmobility.com

                Comment


                  Originally posted by elarson View Post
                  Nice to see you back SCI_OTR -- you have been missed.

                  It's not really moving the opposite way, it is just not clearly moving in the direction it should and is kind of wavy. I'm not sure if the attendant control can be programmed, which is a bit of a shame. -- there is no programmer socket.
                  I think it's probably just the movement of your mount that's making it steer funny. If you've ever tried driving the ZX-1 with the armrest not locked in you know it's not easy.
                  It looks like you routed the cables well.
                  I could probably make you a decent solid mount if you'd like. I think it would be better if it was a bit higher and further back.
                  pat@beachmobility.com

                  Comment


                    Got my mud-bog knobbies.
                    Went around back to the run up to our generator: FAIL!

                    The ground was quite saturated; maybe if it dries out it will work. I know a free-wheel is a big improvement but I need to approach the unit head on and so no free-wheel for me.

                    Now I have two fully mudded knobbier-not coming indoors any more!
                    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                    NW NJ

                    Comment


                      You are a rock star Pat! I think you are right about it just being that weak mount, because it is a similar feel as when the armrest is not locked. And I'm glad I did the cables okay. I have since cable tied them all better underneath too.

                      I would be really interested in having you make a solid mount. I've been searching for something off-the-shelf that I could modify, and don't see many good options. The closest I found were Stealth Products mounts and Ram Mounts, but all would require modification.

                      I'll send you a PM so we can talk about it more. Who knows, maybe Spinergy will want to buy yet another of your good works

                      Originally posted by pattherat View Post
                      I think it's probably just the movement of your mount that's making it steer funny. If you've ever tried driving the ZX-1 with the armrest not locked in you know it's not easy.
                      It looks like you routed the cables well.
                      I could probably make you a decent solid mount if you'd like. I think it would be better if it was a bit higher and further back.
                      Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

                      Comment


                        Yep, Pat is a star for sure. One of the best originators for an active generation of wheelers. I've had one of his first ZX/1 for years and dearly love it for it's simplicity. I'm on my second one now and got it only because my insurance would finally cover it and needed a longer mileage lithium battery. It's a good one but my old one is still like new also, just doesn't have the mileage I need now.

                        It looks like you need something custom Elarson and Pat is the man who will make it right. Also want to thank you E. for all your input to this thread thru the years.

                        Comment


                          Sorry to hear they did not work out for you.

                          This might seem like a stupid question, but did you just replace the tires, or also the wheel/rim? .

                          Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                          Got my mud-bog knobbies.
                          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

                          Comment


                            I put the tires on the original rims
                            These are two piece wheels and if you take the lug bolts off with the tire inflated they split apart and the tube tries to come out through the middle! They really should have a couple screws to hold the two together so you could deal with them like a regular wheel and tire if you wanted to swap them.

                            PS: Is that large electronics box on top of your controller the lithium Ion conversion?
                            Attached Files
                            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                            NW NJ

                            Comment


                              Oh, my. Those are muddy knobbies. Thanks for the info about the wheels/tires. I'm hoping we get some funding, in which case I will replace the entire wheel I think. Otherwise I guess I will muddle through like you did.

                              Indeed, the box on top of the controller is the battery management system (BMS) circuit/box assembly for the lithium battery conversion.

                              Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                              I put the tires on the original rims
                              These are two piece wheels and if you take the lug bolts off with the tire inflated they split apart and the tube tries to come out through the middle! They really should have a couple screws to hold the two together so you could deal with them like a regular wheel and tire if you wanted to swap them.

                              PS: Is that large electronics box on top of your controller the lithium Ion conversion?
                              Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                                Got my mud-bog knobbies.
                                Went around back to the run up to our generator: FAIL!

                                The ground was quite saturated; maybe if it dries out it will work. I know a free-wheel is a big improvement but I need to approach the unit head on and so no free-wheel for me.

                                Now I have two fully mudded knobbier-not coming indoors any more!
                                Use this setup and get a good run at it, if you live through it. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...711319649.html
                                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X