No announcement yet.

ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter has been using her ZX-1 more ever since the warmer weather arrived. Today I'm moving the joystick to the left side.
    I've been reading about how the wheelchair tires should slightly touch the ground or "scrub." She had been crawling and we were trying to figure out how to get more speed of it.

So....I understand if the wheelchair tires are not touching the ground the ZX-1 will operate in Crawl mode. (I did see that in the manual but wasn't sure how to remedy the problem.) To get the tires scrubbing the ground, adjust the clamshell until tires scrub? We did that and the speed went up MUCH more to her liking and she proceeded to have a little fun spinning. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something here and this is the correct way to solve the problem.

Other finishing touches today....move the joystick from the right to the left side and change the existing joystick to more of a T-bar joystick.
    Ideas for the joystick?
    Last edited by Domosoyo; 2 Jul 2015, 1:05 PM.

Comment

It was determined that turning at a high rate of speed could cause the chair to tip if the manual chair's rear wheels were raised to high. So I added a switch, located just in front of the armrest crossmember tube on the left side, that when activated by the swing arm, when the clamshell is raised to a certain level, reduces the power to 40%(crawl mode). This switch should be checked and adjusted by the end user before the first use. It should activate when the clamshell raises the manual wheelchairs rear wheels more than 1/8" above the ground. This activation is indicated by a blinking speed gauge on the joystick.
      pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

Originally posted by pattherat View Post
        Hey Colin, Welcome to the forum. I'm really honored that you are now a ZX-1 owner! Your Kangan Roo chair was a big inspiration in my inventing the ZX-1 to begin with.
        Hi Pat, when I first saw your ZX-1, I was impressed with what you had done to extend and refine the docking concept, that used my idea of a sports chair power with a rear power-plant, for quads like us. I had thought of vertical posts to stop chairs going back too far, and provide the armrests, but didn't think it would work...

I was stuck, back then, by wanting to use hub motors and Lithium batteries (problems with Air Dangerous Goods stopping their transport by domestic aircraft). I still succeeded with that, but not dead battery braking for safety. My last prototype used 36V hub motors, using our own brushless controller, that had to be wound back from a theoretical 20mph to a safe speed, and a 36V 16A Lithium pack.

My software on my ZX-1 gets upgraded on Monday, as it was just shutting down completely, leaving me stranded until someone helped and removed a battery terminal. A real problem that annoyed me and had my wife phobic about me using it.
        Last edited by coolmobility; 2 Jul 2015, 10:05 PM.
        Just love inventing stuff.

Comment

ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Since this is an ongoing ZX-1 thread I thiught I'd post here. Normally when I have a challenge I write to Pat directly as I bought one of the first ones. there are some very knowledgable people here so thought I'd ask here and perhaps Pat will answer too.

I seem to either have a major battery drain or there's something going on with the controller or computer. I charge it fully and just use it to go to the workshop and back; about 40 yards each way. If I do two or three round trips all of a sudden the lights on the controller start dropping and then goes into crawl mode. The battery lights really goes down sometimes to the one red light. I shut it off and back on; the lights go full but is still in crawl mode and the lights go to red pretty quickly. They will also dim quite a bit in this mode when the throttle is pushed. The controller feels warm when this starts happening the computer is cool to the touch.

The batteries are new, I've plugged and unplugged the connections to the batteries and controller. This has been going on for some time and is getting worse. Pat sent me his reprogrammer, awhile ago, to reprogram the unit. Perhaps it's time to buy a new controller and computer or? I know squat about electricity or electronics testing. Thanks for suggestions.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Sounds like you have a bad cell in one of your batteries (if AGM or LiFePO4) as a bad cell, under load, will drop voltage significantly. Each AGM battery consists of 6 cells, one bad cell drops it from 12V to 10V, but probably only under load (being used). One Lithium battery consists of 4 cells, so one bad drops it from ~12V down to below 8.5V.

You need to have someone with a voltmeter check each battery voltage while you use clamshell (will provide load without moving), to see if one has bad voltage drop to 10V or less. If that is the case, one battery has a faulty cell.

If both batteries fine, could be controller or charger.

Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks will try that. should it be checked when it's in it's "finicky" stage? This has happened with other sets of batteries; was the reason I bought new batteries.

Comment

Checking battery voltage drop with load applied, will show ALL the time, if it is a problem, not just some times. If only at occasional times, it is likely to be a poor battery connector, which could affect charging too. Check all battery and controller connectors are tight and fully pushed in.

You need to tell us if you have AGM (LEAD) or Lithium batteries though.

Comment

Lead batteries 15ah bought from Battery Plus store.

Comment

First thing is check that all the plugs into the Controller are plugged in solid as they vibrate loose easily. On my new one, the biggest major plug was out about 1/8" - still in contact and driving but had got loose just by putting batteries in (which would have been shipped separately to Australia), that may be the case with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                        Lead batteries 15ah bought from Battery Plus store.
                        Do you have a link?

Thanks.

Comment

https://www.pacificpowerbatteries.co...?sku=SLA-12150

I'll write Pat and see what he says. thew unit is close to 4 years old so probably needs a new controller and joy stick. I doubt it's the motors as I've only used to go to the workshop and back.

Comment

I did the battery test. It doesn't look like it's the batteries. I've sent the results to Pat also. I m so glad I got mine from him. 4 Years later and he still is right there when needed.

I tested the batteries by placing the armrest facing towards the ground and skidding one tire at the lowest speed setting.

Left Batt. pretest: 13.4v Underload: 12.3V Post: 13.3v
                            Right 13.3v 12.7 13.3
                            Both 26.5 24.5 26.5

This is not a new challenge; it's just getting worse.
                            Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 18 Jul 2015, 1:54 PM.

Comment

Bump.... Any Suggestions to try or take?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                                Bump.... Any Suggestions to try or take?
                                Thanks for the link. Like you said it's either the controller or computer. My guess would be the computer since you were able to reprogram the controller. Have you looked on ebay? I am travelling but monday when I get back I will look at mine and see if I can find replacement parts there. Used computers seems to be going for 50 to 100 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X