bounder off road or pride rival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bounder off road or pride rival?

I've tested both of these chairs and i like them both. It will be used exclusively outdoors. I live in a climate where I'll be using it in snow. I like the look of the rival better, but i feel like the bounder will do a bit better in rough terrain. I like the wide knobby tires on the bounder. I know a lot of you have experience with these chairs... so which one would you go with? Thanks for the feedback!

Originally posted by tarantella View Post
    I've tested both of these chairs and i like them both. It will be used exclusively outdoors. I live in a climate where I'll be using it in snow. I like the look of the rival better, but i feel like the bounder will do a bit better in rough terrain. I like the wide knobby tires on the bounder. I know a lot of you have experience with these chairs... so which one would you go with? Thanks for the feedback!
    Can you put up photos or links for us to see both of the chairs you are considering. How are you going to pay for these chairs, out of pocket, insurance?

Stevie P

Comment

Here are links

Bounder: http://wheelchairs.com/offroad.html

Pride Rival: http://www.pridemobility.com/quantum...heel/rival.asp

Paying on my own... insurance won't cover these type of chairs for me.

Comment

Here are links

Bounder: http://wheelchairs.com/offroad.html

Pride Rival: http://www.pridemobility.com/quantum...heel/rival.asp

Paying on my own... insurance won't cover these type of chairs for me.
        Are these the only two you have looked at? I have seen some really cool ones that I would think would have far more ability to go more places. I will find them and post the links for you.

Stevie P

Comment

This might be more overkill than what you're looking for but if you haven't seen it you should check it out.

http://www.actiontrackchair.com/
          C5 as of 6-13- 2010

Comment

Here is a site that had some of the different models http://www.planetmobility.com/store/.../power/vestil/

I have tried the Fronteer power in the center wheels.
            The ones called the Viking are nice because the seat articulates when the base is at an angle keeping you from falling out, the only problem is that I dont know how good they are, how often they break, how much are repairs.

Let me know what you think.
            Also you can use YouTube as a search engin like you use google and get some really great info on different chairs as well.

Stevie P

Comment

Sorry forgot to mention that i need something that will fit in my van. So no wider than 29". That eliminates a lot of cool chairs like the actiontrak. Maybe someday if i have a truck, but right now i couldn't transport such a large chair.

Oh and I tested an extreme x8. Very nice off-road capabilities.... but incredibly difficult to steer and maneuver. And it wouldn't work in my van.

Comment

Originally posted by iburkhart13 View Post
                This might be more overkill than what you're looking for but if you haven't seen it you should check it out.

http://www.actiontrackchair.com/
                That is a cool chair but it is huge. I could never get it into my mini van and transfer to my drivers seat. And you would have to have a chair for your house as well.

When I looked and tried the Frontier chair it was small enough to go into a home and a guy was at the rehab who had one and used it all the time and he said it did not tear up his carpet in his home or the wood floors unless it had rocks in the tires. He did say that it tracked more dirt into his house.

Stevie P

Comment

Sorry forgot to mention that i need something that will fit in my van. So no wider than 29". That eliminates a lot of cool chairs like the actiontrak. Maybe someday if i have a truck, but right now i couldn't transport such a large chair.

Oh and I tested an extreme x8. Very nice off-road capabilities.... but incredibly difficult to steer and maneuver. And it wouldn't work in my van.
                  How about the Frontier by the same company.

Comment

From what I have heard from others, the Bounder is the most robust, well built and durable chair of the two, providing you have the financial resources.

I have also heard much good regarding the Frontier V6 is a great chair for off road, in home and out in public.

You are embarking a on a life enabling purchase and there is no substitute for a hands on trial in the environment you are going to use it.

Comment

The Bounder would be my dream chair. Outdoors...it is chain driven, high torque and good speed. It can be used indoors as well as outdoors.

Good luck.
                      Millard
                      ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

???

Comment

The Bounder will work well and last a long time. The rival will be broken often and cost a fortune to keep repairing.
                          C 5/6 Comp.
                          No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Did you decide which one was better? I'm making a choice along the same lines. Five yrs ago, I tested a Bounder, among other chairs, and went w/ the Quantum R4400. I really liked the Bounder's speed, but, I hate to say, it was crude. Very tough and well built, but in a Soviet tank kinda' way. I'm hoping it has had 5 yrs developing, polishing & modernizing. Unfortunately from what I see on the website and what my friendly w/c mechanic says, that hasn't happened. If anyone knows different, please say so.

Oh yeah, except for the damn flimsy articulating PWR legrests, my Quantum has been trustworthy for over 2K miles.
                            Robert

live free, drive fast

Comment

I have been lucky enough to have had 2 bounderplus chairs over the last 22 years. I am working on number 3 which will be off road H frame. I am poor as dirt and fight my insurance to the bitter end. But in the end it helps to know someone with influence. All of us here are physically screwed so we should not get screwed by insurance. I hate to say it but you need to know someone.
                              btw I never had to take a bounder to a repair shop. Brothers changed bearings belts and batteries. Yes I bought the batteries myself. Once I had them changed by a company on the insurance's network. $1500 they charged. I got the same batteries from a Lakeland battery wholesaler. Figure they see the bounder pays off in the long run. d

Comment

Working...
                              X