Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about this shower chair

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Question about this shower chair

    http://www.usmedicalsupplies.com/mar...heelchair.html

    Can I manipulate these arms as a quad? Strong wrists but no finger function. I just don't understand the mechanics of it. Answer is in the manul page 25-26
    Www.rachellefriedman.com

    Follow me on Facebook at
    www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

    Follow me on twitter at
    www.twitter.com/followrachelle

    Www.wheelstrong.com

    sigpic

    #2
    Rachelle, the lock lever works by pushing the top part toward the armrest post to unlock and pull away to unlock. Without finger function, I would use a piece of tape to hold the top of the lever against the post and keep it unlocked. That way, any time you want to get it back out of your way, you can just push it up and back with your arm or wrist, I cannot think of any time you would want to have it locked down.

    On my shower chair, I have removed the left armrest completely. That is the side I use to do didg stim, and the other armrest provides all of the support I really need. As a quad, that may not work for you, but the only way to know is to try.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

    Comment


      #3
      Yup. I'm a c6 and that's my chair.
      www.worldonwheels.ca

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by christopher View Post
        Yup. I'm a c6 and that's my chair.
        You don't use any finger function?
        Www.rachellefriedman.com

        Follow me on Facebook at
        www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

        Follow me on twitter at
        www.twitter.com/followrachelle

        Www.wheelstrong.com

        sigpic

        Comment


          #5
          Nope. Push the lever located behind the brake in that picture and lift the armrest back. Easy-peasy.
          www.worldonwheels.ca

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by christopher View Post
            Nope. Push the lever located behind the brake in that picture and lift the armrest back. Easy-peasy.

            Eh idk. I feel like having to use both hands and having to push that armrest back would make me fall forward. I so wish I could try it first!
            Www.rachellefriedman.com

            Follow me on Facebook at
            www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

            Follow me on twitter at
            www.twitter.com/followrachelle

            Www.wheelstrong.com

            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              Seriously, there is no need to have that lock. The front of the armrest slips down in to the receiver tube and takes a bit of effort to move it enough it get it free. My current shower chair has a single bar armrest that flips back, and it does not even have a locking mechanism - it just stays in place by gravity, which yours will do with the lock disabled or removed.
              Don - Grad Student Emeritus
              T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ECUrach85 View Post
                Eh idk. I feel like having to use both hands and having to push that armrest back would make me fall forward. I so wish I could try it first!
                I have a mariner I bought about 5 years back, never used it, you're welcomed to it, I'm about 3 hours east of you.
                but i'll be heading to burlington next saturday probably
                We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                Ronald Reagan

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by ECUrach85 View Post
                  Eh idk. I feel like having to use both hands and having to push that armrest back would make me fall forward. I so wish I could try it first!
                  It only takes one hand. Push and lift.
                  www.worldonwheels.ca

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by brucec View Post
                    I have a mariner I bought about 5 years back, never used it, you're welcomed to it, I'm about 3 hours east of you.
                    but i'll be heading to burlington next saturday probably
                    This is a good deal. I'm a quad too and I have that showerchair; Christopher is right it's easy to unlock the armrest and flip back. I use the armrests when I bring my legs/feet up so I can wash them so I wouldn't take off the armrests for that reason.
                    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by wtf View Post
                      This is a good deal. I'm a quad too and I have that showerchair; Christopher is right it's easy to unlock the armrest and flip back. I use the armrests when I bring my legs/feet up so I can wash them so I wouldn't take off the armrests for that reason.

                      yep, I was too nice, I should have asked for a chili dog heh heh
                      here's a couple pics, I've just used it to hang my sheets over it to dry when raining outside
                      We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                      Ronald Reagan

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by christopher View Post
                        Yup. I'm a c6 and that's my chair.
                        Same here. My only problem with the chair is that the brakes get loose quickly. I'm trying to figure a way to fix that, maybe just buying different kinds of brakes for it.

                        No need for tape like Donno suggested, unless you just don't want the hassle. Personally, I like the armrest being "locked" in the down position as it helps when repositioning in the chair, which I do often.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by ECUrach85 View Post
                          You don't use any finger function?
                          One thing a lot of quads need to get over, and I mean the mental block, not "oh, just get over it", is that while no finger function sucks big time, there are still millions of things you can do with your hands (one hand even) with no finger function and your tenodesis (wrest extension). You do seem to have a bit of that mental block here, and the way to get past it is to just try to stop thinking "but my fingers don't work" and try things -- try, try, try, try, and try again. It really is a just matter of trial and error to see how you can do things with your hands now, and different people do things different ways. You don't always need two hands.

                          Trust us, this armrest on the Mariner is not a problem.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Oh, and take Bruce up on his very generous offer!

                            Bruce!

                            And like Donno said, if you really don't want to deal with the armrest lock after you get the chair, it's easy to just remove the lock and still have the armrests there.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                              One thing a lot of quads need to get over, and I mean the mental block, not "oh, just get over it", is that while no finger function sucks big time, there are still millions of things you can do with your hands (one hand even) with no finger function and your tenodesis (wrest extension). You do seem to have a bit of that mental block here, and the way to get past it is to just try to stop thinking "but my fingers don't work" and try things -- try, try, try, try, and try again. It really is a just matter of trial and error to see how you can do things with your hands now, and different people do things different ways. You don't always need two hands.

                              Trust us, this armrest on the Mariner is not a problem.
                              Dude I'm not one of "those" quads or whatever but some things just require finger function. It's just a fact. Or maybe it requires 2 hands if you don't have finger function which would require a tiny bit of core. Just trying to get an idea of the mechanics
                              Www.rachellefriedman.com

                              Follow me on Facebook at
                              www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

                              Follow me on twitter at
                              www.twitter.com/followrachelle

                              Www.wheelstrong.com

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X