My SmartDrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SmartDrive

I got mine slightly used from a members ad here. The poster said there was some concern from others about the warranty being transferable. I wasn’t worried.

It came last week, but since I broke the mounting bracket switching chairs I have very limited use with it so far. One thing I noticed was the charger did not seem to work correctly in that the green light wouldn’t come on unless I turned the charger over. That made no sense unless a relay was sticking.

I got to talking again with the seller to find out when he got the unit which was only like three months ago. He said he had since heard from his supplier that the warranty is transferable. And that seems correct as there is nothing written in the warranty about limiting it to the original purchaser.

So I called Max Mobility. Nice friendly chat ending with pack it all up we will send you a shipping label. Not sure why they need the motor, but I haven’t got the label yet, so maybe they are rethinking how much really needs to be sent back and forth.

Earlier I saw some comments about cutting out or turning off. I experienced that too and there is a reason for it. On rough surfaces the motor has to decide if one is trying to make it stop or if it hit’s a bump. She said the fix is to hold the button on in those situations.

One thing I saw in my short time using it was it’s sensitivity to how strong of a push one gives it. The harder you push the faster it goes.
    Last edited by nonoise; 21 May 2013, 2:39 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

You and I were both interested in that unit but I didn't hear back from the manufacturer about the warranty until after. They did tell me that the warranty goes with the unit not the owner. So good news there. Sorry about the trouble you are having. Please keep updating us on your experience with the SmartDrive. I'm hoping to get one and I need to know all I can.
    Last edited by grommet; 21 May 2013, 2:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
      One thing I saw in my short time using it was it’s sensitivity to how strong of a push one gives it. The harder you push the faster it goes.
      That's what I enjoyed the most when I demoed it, I felt really in control, very different from e-motion wheels.
      My TR3

Comment

Originally posted by Big View Post
        That's what I enjoyed the most when I demoed it, I felt really in control, very different from e-motion wheels.
        I didn't have enough time with it to feel that control but in the half hour I did have to demo I started to feel some things as second nature. I am looking forward to getting one, I hope it works out.

Comment

I'm so jealous! I hope it works perfectly for your needs once everything is fixed
          Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Yep, you should be all set once you get it back from Max mobility. Those things are high tech wonders, I plan on getting one eventually to replace my e motions, I just hope the chair will climb hills as well with that as it does with the e motions? Anybody know the answer to this question?
            "Life is about how you
            respond to not only the
            challenges you're dealt but
            the challenges you seek...If
            you have no goals, no
            mountains to climb, your
            soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
              Yep, you should be all set once you get it back from Max mobility. Those things are high tech wonders, I plan on getting one eventually to replace my e motions, I just hope the chair will climb hills as well with that as it does with the e motions? Anybody know the answer to this question?
              How accurate are the elevations in GoogleEarth? Using them, that short stretch in front of my house that I went up is fifty feet long long with a rise of five feet. That is a ten percent grade. No wonder I don't like pushing up it. It did that fine.
              I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Thanks Lin and Grommet, I'm sure it's just a glitch in a relay in the charger and should be a quick turnaround. Shipping back and forth will probably eat up most of the time.

Comment

I'd love to get one but knowing it stops on a bump would not make it work on my city sidewalks. If they could improve this ... and I thought there was supposed to be a remote? Is the button still between the legs on the charger?
                  Last edited by lynnifer; 22 May 2013, 4:26 AM.
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                    I'd love to get one but knowing it stops on a bump would not make it work on my city sidewalks. If they could improve this ... and I thought there was supposed to be a remote? Is the button still between the legs on the charger?
                    I can tell you that they are working extremely hard on the remote. They have already made several changes to the design and firmware since it was originally introduced. Keep in mind that this is a product which is relatively new. Most current users would be considered "early adopters". Fortunately, Max-Mobility has made a commitment to retrofit units that are already in the field as upgrades/refinements are made.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                      I'd love to get one but knowing it stops on a bump would not make it work on my city sidewalks. If they could improve this ...
                      It isn't a rule that it stops on any bump, but it does sometimes cut out, in which case you have to push the wheels (or the button) to get it going again. It still reduces the sheer number of pushes you have to make to cover a given distance. As nonoise says above, on rough terrain you can just hold the button down for a much smoother ride--at full speed, of course! (That may not be an option for some as full speed is pretty fast, so it might be scary or even unsafe for folks with limited braking ability. Mine's pretty limited, but possibly I'm also a little reckless. ;-)

I find the most difficult thing about the cutting out is the unpredictability of it, but I expect I'll get used to spotting potential problem terrain as I approach it. It's just that the terrain that my eyes/brain register as troublesome for me and my wheelchair is not necessarily the same terrain that will be troublesome for the SmartDrive. Slight learning curve there.

My experience has been that power cuts out chiefly:

* on a bump that's big enough that the SmartDrive's drive wheel loses contact with the ground as I'm clearing the bump
                      * with firm roll casters and no FreeWheel, a relatively small jolt to the casters will sometimes do it
                      * where the gradient of a hill steepens suddenly. The machine doesn't know why there's suddenly extra resistance, so it may think I'm attempting to brake
                      * where a slope in one direction meets a slope in another direction, eg a slope where a 'sideways' slope becomes a 'sideways-and-upwards' slope, if that makes sense

In cases where the power cuts out because the SmartDrive thinks I'm braking, rather than because its drive wheel has lost contact with the ground (i.e., where it stops because it decides to, not because it physically has to), I remind myself that this is actually a feature, not a bug. Perhaps it's oversensitive, but it's designed to err on the side of stopping--better to get stranded on a hill than to go careening into traffic unable to stop, right? (extreme example, obviously)

A related phenomenon is that sometimes going down a sudden small drop, the SmartDrive will be confused into thinking I've given a hard push and will engage at higher speed.

I haven't yet tried the SmartDrive on grass or otherwise off-road because it's turned wintry here and rather muddy, so I can't speak to how well it handles those surfaces.

With regard to hills, I've been flying up hills I never expected it to be able to cope with. There's only one in my neighbourhood I haven't managed yet, but I suspect I can conquer it with the SmartDrive, if I can overcome my fear of trying! I always have to long-press the button if I have to tackle a hill from a cold start, because my pushing is weak and my push strokes short, so that it's hard for me to get the machine going really fast using just my own muscle strength. Your mileage may vary significantly here!

One thing I haven't quite figured out yet is why long-pressing the button when I'm already in motion sometimes causes the machine to go smoothly to full speed... and sometimes makes it stop. I'm working on that one. It might be time to read that instruction manual again...

I think this is a great product, but one that needs rather more time than the demo periods that seem to be on offer for anyone to be sure it will work well for them. Currently, I'm one very happy early adopter (I think my unit's serial number is 000142), but I fully expect to be jealous of the people who get later, new and improved generations of it.

Comment

What is grade limitation? I have driveway maybe 200'+ and grade probably 30-40% I go up backwards. for mail. Even take garbage bags up on lap. If wet though, no deal. Too slippery. Come down facing forward, hands on rims as brakes. Grade is steep enough can slide down backward and forward holding rims just by position butt on seat. Does this thing work for something like this or is grade too steep? I do use A/T tires doing this. They seem best traction.

Comment

We trialed a SmartDrive and I am sure it could get up your drive rim, for steep grades don't attempt to activate by pushing, instead depress the power button to achieve full power and this should get you up most hills without interruption unless the pavement is cracked and broken up in which case the SmartrDrive will read this as a call to cut power. When this occurs you should depress power button for full speed to resume grade climbing. We did our trial when there was snow and ice all over. My wife really liked the SmartDrive in combination with Freewheel. I do think with Freewheel the SmartDrive would not "read" the cracks in pavement and cut power as it does with non pneumatic 5" casters. If you want to use the SmarDrive on a sprawling camppus or to commute in a city I would invest in a Freewheel. I think with the Freewheel the full speed of the SmartDrive on irregular pavement would not be scary. I never tried to stow my Freewheel on the optional perch on back of chair so I am not sure whether drive wheel of SmartDrive would prevent use of the perch.

Comment

UPS finally delivered the replacement bracket. It’s a big improvement over the original version. Max-Mobility calls it a universal bracket. It is larger, comes with several axle tube inserts for various size axles, 1.0, 1.125, 1.25, 1.375, and 1.5 inch. I’m not sure if it’s also sized for using without an insert. Also there are different mounting heights, 22, 24, 25 & 26 depending on the rear wheel size.

On another thread I questioned how hard it might be for others to attach the power cable to the motor so I played with it a little before setting out today. I found that there are two little detents and corresponding bumps that need to lined up first. Once those are correct, it slips right in. A drop of paint or nail polish on the plug where it matches the green light of the motor would solve aligning the two up. I didn’t practice pulling it apart. It may have something to do with the outside ring to make it easier, but my ab wife did not think taking it apart was very easy. We will see.

I have an A-4 (early version), a ZR series one, and a T6 Crossfire. The Crossfire, the least favorite of the three, is the only one the battery comes close to fitting under the seat. And I had to raise (thank goodness it is adjustable) the RSH in order to get the new motor bracket to fit. My Crossfire has what looks like double seat framing, definitely makes it heavier, but it is quite adjustable.

I knew had to reinstall the footrest, so I did that before leaving the garage and found out why narrow footrests are popular. My left foot kept wandering. That needs solving. It especially needs to be resolved at the speed this thing gets up to, wow! I thought maybe it was just me so I asked a couple of people, no they said you were zipping right along. Further up the street another neighbor said he’d walk around the block with me. Duh, what a drag, I had to keep it on snail. Luckily at the corner he wanted to head toward the view, my direction was downhill, so I took the advice and switched it to off for the time being. Soon it was uphill and yippie, I have only done this part of the block one other time in a WC. This time it was fun. In no time I was back to my corner at the top, unbelievable. I did have an issue with the chair though. It’s the same problem I’ve always had. The four inch casters are too small for me. I’m not used to jumping over little bumps and don’t want to start now. This will get improved one way or another. I have several options in the works all the way up to my favorite eight inch pneumatic. One is that I have rebuilt the three wheel Quickie Shadow to be an everyday no camber chair with an eight inch front caster instead of the tiny tennis one it came with.
                            Last edited by nonoise; 18 Jun 2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Another way to minimize the frequency of the SmartDrive cutting out over pavement irregularities is to give it a harder push as you go over higher cracks in the sidewalk. This will offset the reduction in acceleration caused by the drive wheel losing contact.

Comment

Working...
                              X