Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a TiLite 'reinforced frame'?

As the title states...what's different?

(yeah, and this thread might be another Andy's Going Nowhere Getting a New Chair Idea ) I might this year, lol

Originally posted by Andy View Post

(yeah, and this thread might be another Andy's Going Nowhere Getting a New Chair Idea ) I might this year, lol
    My TR has this -- all they do is weld washers at the frame thru-holes (where the backl hinge is bolted) -- it's definitely more robust. Otherwise, it's a drilled hole. Worth the expense if it's going to be a keeper --

Comment

The "Power Adaptable Frame" option uses thicker-walled tubing (.065" instead of .045"). I don't know for certain but I would suspect that the Reinforced Frame also uses thicker-walled tubing.

Originally posted by 5th Wheel View Post
      My TR has this -- all they do is weld washers at the frame thru-holes (where the backl hinge is bolted) -- it's definitely more robust. Otherwise, it's a drilled hole. Worth the expense if it's going to be a keeper --
      I would imagine that the Reinforced Frame is also available for fixed-back non-folding chairs, so there's more to it (namely the thicker walled tubing) than just welding washers for the back hinge hardware.
      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I think Stephen212 is right. It was explained to me that the reinforced frame uses the thicker-walled tubing. I got the power adaptable frame for my ZRA which also has the thicker tubing. I can't see a noticeable difference in the frame on sight alone. The power adaptation is a $300.00 upgrade and I am sure the reinforced frame is a similar charge, so it is no small cost. Happily, insurance covered it for me.

I guess you need to ask yourself what kind of activities you might be doing in the chair. Do you think you might damage one that isn't reinforced? Are you an active user? Have you damaged a chair in the past? Would insurance pay for this charge or would you have to pay out of pocket? Do a personal cost benefit analysis.
        In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Comment

Flanged through-holes...thanks for the confirmation. I sort of thought that might have been it, but this thought was based on a warranty claim on a frame from 10 years ago where this issue was addressed (stress cracked frame due to just a hole in tubing with a bolt through it). I guess you gotta pay TiLite more not to just drill load-bearing holes in tubing and expecting stress risers to not result from this, thought they might have stopped doing that by now.

Comment

I'm almost certain that the flanged holes were specific to the previous generation TiLite rigid frames. On the most recent models, I believe it is simply a matter of wall thickness combined with the inability to order certain options (e.g. titanium backrest, SlipStream fork, or "poly" casters).

The TR3 has an inherently strong frame design, and I don't think it would provide any benefits in your particular situation.

Comment

Before I ordered my TR, I emailed TiLite asking them to explain the "reinforced frame" option. I never got a reply.
              Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Speaking of SlipStream forks...how long have those been out, and how many broke so far? I get kind of scared seeing the constant bending stresses of a single-sided fork arm, and the face-plant possibilities when that aluminum gives up the ghost and fractures

Comment

I talked with TiLite about it, as I ordered it, and was told what Stephen listed, the thicker tubing. I was curious of an approximate weight difference and the person didn't know but guessed 1 lbs at best.

FWIW, I have a Reinforced frame and I have a titanium backrest.
                  C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

I have the SlipStream forks on my TR3 that I got back in Sept. and so far I haven't had any problems with them.
                    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
                    T4,5,6 Incomplete
                    Chair: TiLite TR3

Comment

I have broken several frames in the past and I was planning to use a power assistance (smart drive or Firefly), so I ordered a reinforced frame, I was told about thicker walled tubing and adding 1.1 lbs weight.
                      My TR3

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                        I talked with TiLite about it, as I ordered it, and was told what Stephen listed, the thicker tubing. I was curious of an approximate weight difference and the person didn't know but guessed 1 lbs at best.

FWIW, I have a Reinforced frame and I have a titanium backrest.
                        My bad. Most of the exclusions I listed are for the Power Adaptable or HD options.

Comment

Speaking of SlipStream forks...how long have those been out, and how many broke so far? ...
                          Laid a hard whack to my one-year-old Slipstreamed ZR last summer. Had a surprise portside caster-wobble while downhilling way too fast over smooth blacktop. Sent chair and 180#-me skidding 6' to starboard. Gripping tires and rims, I pitched right on over the starboard fork/5"FLAHSR to ground. Deeply gouged the outer edge of the hub but that was it other than an unhappy right palm.

Turned out the swing on my factory-set port fork was way too loose and – ZR up on a glass table – the caster was just barely touching. Stiffened fork tension, adjusted the virtually-unadjustable titanium frame to better ground the caster and presto, no more wobble issues. Subsquent stupid, outdoor crashes have embarrassed me ... but not the Slipstreams.

Tough Stuff Methinks.

Comment

Speaking of SlipStream forks...how long have those been out, and how many broke so far? I get kind of scared seeing the constant bending stresses of a single-sided fork arm, and the face-plant possibilities when that aluminum gives up the ghost and fractures
                            I have confidence in the Slipstream but judging from appearance (admittedly not a scientific measure) the Unitine looks more robust, especially the way it tapers into the caster hub.

/forum/showthread.php?t=141855
                            stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I believe that there are too many variables to generalize about the durability of any fork design. Weight of the user and the type of use would be important considerations. I've broken too many caster hubs to believe that the support given to the caster isn't a concern that needs to be factored in the evaluation.
                              Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Working...
                              X