tires/tubes leaking green liquid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tires/tubes leaking green liquid?

We went to pump my Tilite's tires but this fluid leaked out of it. has anyone had that happen before?? I haven't. I want to get some solid inserts and am wondering if it's just the tubes that are shot or the tires too.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

I don't know Les, but ever since switching to Kix or Spox tires I have had one less Sci thing to worry about. Ride is pretty close to high pressure tires too. I would recommend them to every one.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

Maybe it is the green Slime Tube Sealant?

Comment

That green slime is only good for small punctures. I think it's 1/8" max. Bigger punctures will leak. Obviously the puncture could be from something that went through the tire and there is nothing you can do to prevent that. But the leak could be due to the rim and you can prevent that. The thin rubber rim strips have little resistance and the tubes grow nipples where the tube meets the holes in the rim. Eventually, the tube leaks at these spots. These leaks should stop completely if you use cloth rim tape. Make sure the tape is cloth and it covers all edges not just the holes.

Of course, the solid tires eliminate this problem. But they don't provide cushion, are heavy, noisy, and require a special tool.

Comment

Your green stuff is likely some substance that someone shot into the tire to prevent leaks or to stop a small leak. That stuff is overrated. I'ts a great fix to get you home, but I'd immediately replace the tube.

Before thinking about solids, I'd really recommend going with Schwalbe's Marathon Plus. They are just about indestructible and roll and feel a lot better than solids. They were my all-weather commuting tire when I was AB, I put thousands of miles on them with one trike wheel picking up all kind of broken glass and gutter trash. Never had a problem.
          Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Comment

How slow/quick does it leak? Does it require new air daily, weekly, longer? The tube will leak eventually. The inserts will really give you a "hard" ride. Personally, I hated inserts because of how hard ride was.

Comment

Originally posted by leschinsky View Post
              We went to pump my Tilite's tires but this fluid leaked out of it. has anyone had that happen before?? I haven't. I want to get some solid inserts and am wondering if it's just the tubes that are shot or the tires too.
              Most definitely alien blood

Comment

Ah, remember the dme telling me they did something to make the tires less likely to puncture. It must be the slime. According to this thread it makes them heavier than solid tires. Now I know why it felt hard to push. I don't need that I'm a weak quad. what I really need are the power assist wheels. I use the chair only very rarely my powerchair makes me more independent.

paramoto are those the kik mako youre referring to? IsMaisin if the chair were to sit a lot would that affect the marathon tires i.e. would I have to check the tire pressure often? I need the easiest to get around in but not high maintenance.

Comment

Your leak sounds like Slime alright. I use it myself on bikes and such. It’s okay…even works sometimes to stop leaks. You will definitely see it leak out through the valve when you fill it. Sometimes it will even clog the valve. It does add quite a bit of weight to tire/tubes. It probably makes them as heavy as tires with inserts or solid tires. Slime tubes will still need air now and again. I have used tubes, inserts, and solids over the years. I like solids best myself.

Inserts are just as heavy and hard to mount as solid tires. Most inserts will eventually break down. I had urethane inserts that broke down so bad after a couple of uses that they turned to powder inside the tire. Man those tires rolled wonky!

Kik tires (seen spelled Mako or Makow) and Shox tires are very similar solid tire types. I have used Shox and like them. They are a little heavier than light weight pneumatic tires and tubes like Primo, and they don’t ride as hard as tires pumped up past 100lbs. However, they require zero maintenance, roll well enough for most people, and you can run them down past the tread and still keep rolling. No flat worries and they come in colors. I have blue.

Comment

Marathon tires and pressure has nothing to do with the tire pressure.. The tube inside the tire is holding all the air pressure. The quality of those tubes will dictate how often pressure is lost. I have Marathon tires and whatever tubes they but in them. Personally I think they are trash, the tubes. I must be putting air in them every other week.

Ah, remember the dme telling me they did something to make the tires less likely to puncture. It must be the slime. According to this thread it makes them heavier than solid tires. Now I know why it felt hard to push. I don't need that I'm a weak quad. what I really need are the power assist wheels. I use the chair only very rarely my powerchair makes me more independent.

paramoto are those the kik mako youre referring to? IsMaisin if the chair were to sit a lot would that affect the marathon tires i.e. would I have to check the tire pressure often? I need the easiest to get around in but not high maintenance.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with my tires. The tubes continually lose air. I will not squirt anything inside the tube. I know years ago there was stuff made for automobile tires that was squirted in. Personally, if got flat, take wheel to bike shop. Have them fix/change it. It will save you a huge headache.

Originally posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
                      Marathon tires and pressure has nothing to do with the tire pressure.. The tube inside the tire is holding all the air pressure. T he quality of those tubes will dictate how often pressure is lost. I have Marathon tires and whatever tubes they but in them. Personally I think they are trash, the tubes. I must be putting air in them every other week.

Comment

Get some Schalbe marathons & schwable tubes, they will need the pressure checked periodically, mine go from 150psi to about 120 in 2 weeks which isn't really a problem. You'll have a much better ride than solids and as everyone has mentioned before they are very tough.
                        T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Comment

IsMaisin if the chair were to sit a lot would that affect the marathon tires i.e. would I have to check the tire pressure often? I need the easiest to get around in but not high maintenance.
                          Originally posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
                          Marathon tires and pressure has nothing to do with the tire pressure.. The tube inside the tire is holding all the air pressure. The quality of those tubes will dictate how often pressure is lost. I have Marathon tires and whatever tubes they but in them. Personally I think they are trash, the tubes. I must be putting air in them every other week.
                          Originally posted by SuprSi View Post
                          Get some Schalbe marathons & schwable tubes, they will need the pressure checked periodically, mine go from 150psi to about 120 in 2 weeks which isn't really a problem. You'll have a much better ride than solids and as everyone has mentioned before they are very tough.
                          The tires protect the tubes from punctures and the tubes hold the air. I had bad luck with "store brand" and now I only use schwalbe tubes. I have had very good luck with them holding pressure on my trike (I haven't had my chair long enough to make a judgement.) I check my tire pressure at weekly and before any long ride. I have had months go by without a tube losing measurable pressure.

I consider any tube that loses pressure in a week to be a problem and replace it. Usually, especially before I became more proficient at changing tires, I found the problem was user error, my fault installing the tire with a pinch or with stress on the valve stem.

The wheelchair specific marathon plus evolution has a 5mm thick protective layer and weighs 520 grams for the 25-559 and have a pressure range of 85-145 psi. The shox tires have a claimed psi equivalent of 110 and a weight of 730 grams.

You are going to get a much better ride with the pneumatic tires, and if you want as maintenance free as you can go without getting solid tires, I'd recommend the marathons over anything else.
                          Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Comment

Sorry I was kinda out of it yesterday. I read that the Shwalbe tubes are better than others but members said you had to be careful about under/over inflating them. Since my manual chair is rarely used [until I get a back that makes me feel more stable in it] I only check the pressure very infrequently. I'd rather have to only check the pressure when I'm going to actually use the chair.

This would be easier if the primo tubes I have now didn't have the slime in them so I knew what pneumatics actually felt like. Argh, I'm no closer to a decision.
                            Last edited by leschinsky; 17 May 2013, 10:24 PM.

Comment

It’s certainly understandable that you are having doubts about pneumatic vs. solid. Everyone of us has specific needs, and each of our needs are just different enough sometimes to preclude certainty. You may be able to test out other tires, if you know someone nearby who has either high pressure pneumatic tires or solids with the same wheel size as your own chair. Just borrow them or swap them with that other person long enough to see for yourself what they feel like. But be careful.

If the axles are too short, and don’t lock in place, you may have to limit your test to a straight careful line without twists or turns. You wouldn’t want to lose those wheels off your chair. You could also try swapping axles, or adjusting them, if it’s okay with the other person to get a better fit. Maybe a friendly DME could help with some test wheels and tires. It shouldn't take long for you to know if they’ll work for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X