Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belly Bags

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Belly Bags

    I will be in Kansas doing research this summer (my first job since being injured 5.5 years ago, hooray!), and have been told I should bring shorts as it gets very hot there. I have not worn shorts since my injury, nor have I ever used a belly bag (I have a suprapubic catheter), and am wondering if people prefer them to leg bags or if they come with complications. It seems to me like there would be an issue with kinking/leaking, since the drainage system is not below the suprapubic site. I called Rusch and my insurance does not cover them, and they seem to be a bit pricey, so I just wanted to get some feedback before making the purchase. Also, where is the best, most affordable place to get them?
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

    How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

    #2
    What type of research-I assume if you are asking about shorts it is outside? I almost never wear shorts myself. I tend to stick to capri's unless it is a sport in which case I wear long basketball type shorts or cargos.

    I have no input for the cath question.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

    Comment


      #3
      I have a sp cath and I've used belly bags. I have never had a problem with any of the tubing kinking or leak. I personally like them because they are discreet, especially with shorts, and they are easier for me to empty. I just unclip the belt put the bag over a toilet and open the valve.

      They are priced a little on the high side and I have had to pay for them myself.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by StarLord View Post
        I have a sp cath and I've used belly bags. I have never had a problem with any of the tubing kinking or leak. I personally like them because they are discreet, especially with shorts, and they are easier for me to empty. I just unclip the belt put the bag over a toilet and open the valve.

        They are priced a little on the high side and I have had to pay for them myself.
        Do you order them online? From where? I cannot find a local pharmacy that even carries them, and am searching for the best price. Thanks!
        Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

        How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by aidan416 View Post
          What type of research-I assume if you are asking about shorts it is outside? I almost never wear shorts myself. I tend to stick to capri's unless it is a sport in which case I wear long basketball type shorts or cargos.

          I have no input for the cath question.
          I will be doing biological field research - climbing trees, collecting tardigrades (I'd never even heard them, but you should Google them - they're fascinating!), and studying them in the lab (they're microscopic). Seems a bit strange to be leaving Maine to climb trees in Kansas, but it will be fun to see someplace new. Will also be studying other insects, what they eat, etc. It's only a summer internship, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm even looking forward to the flight, because I've never flown before! The National Science Foundation is funding the research project, and is paying for my flight to and from, my on-campus housing, and the internship itself is paid. There are only 8 students, including myself (even though I'm not a student, and was surprised they even accepted me), so with such a small group I'm hoping to really learn a lot and get lots of hands-on experience.
          Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

          How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

          Comment


            #6
            I'd go with khaki pants instead of shorts. Light weight cotton will protect you from the sun and keep you cool. Big hat and remember DEED is your friend. I thought they only had one tree in Kansas and it was in a museum?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
              I'd go with khaki pants instead of shorts. Light weight cotton will protect you from the sun and keep you cool. Big hat and remember DEED is your friend. I thought they only had one tree in Kansas and it was in a museum?
              I know! When I saw the opportunity, I thought to myself, "Wait... Kansas has trees?" Thanks so much for the suggestions - very much appreciated.
              Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

              How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

              Comment


                #8
                Kathy Repetto at Rusch recommends www.healthykin.com for buying medical supplies, as she says they are usually the most reasonably priced. They are back-ordered on belly bags at the moment, but will be getting more in the first week or two of May. After reading other posts on this site, I think I will give one a try. Thanks for the feedback!
                Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

                How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

                Comment


                  #9
                  I get mine at Allegro Medical.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by StarLord View Post
                    I get mine at Allegro Medical.
                    Thank you.
                    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

                    How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I also have a SPV cath and decided to try it but it didn't work for me. Since the bellie bag sits above or about the same level gravity was making it dificult to flow. I would recommend you buy one just to try it. I paid aprox $13 or $14. I just checked the place I bought it "At homemedical.com" but they don't sell it anymore. Good Luck.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Genovoro View Post
                        I also have a SPV cath and decided to try it but it didn't work for me. Since the bellie bag sits above or about the same level gravity was making it dificult to flow. I would recommend you buy one just to try it. I paid aprox $13 or $14. I just checked the place I bought it "At homemedical.com" but they don't sell it anymore. Good Luck.
                        That's what I was worried about. I'll give it a go and see how it works for me. Thank you!
                        Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

                        How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

                        Comment


                          #13
                          So I've tried using a belly bag for the past two days, and what I was afraid would happen, happened. Plenty of urine is going into the bag, but plenty of urine is also going elsewhere, and I end up with wet clothes. Sigh. At least now I know. I was just really looking forward to wearing shorts, despite my toothpick legs.
                          Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

                          How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I have worn bellybags for years and have a love/hate relationship with them. I try not to empty the bag completely because I believe that the reflux valve has like a vacuum effect when emptied out completely. Also, check to see the emptying nozzle is closed tightly. Finalky, drink a lot of fluids to avoid a clog. What you describe happens occcoasionally, but most often the bellybag works.

                            I have complained to the maker, and I believe that they are trying to fix the problems. The supply issue is not a packaging or production issue. It had flaws and I hope they fix them soon because it is otherwise an awesome product.

                            Originally posted by Ptarzan80 View Post
                            So I've tried using a belly bag for the past two days, and what I was afraid would happen, happened. Plenty of urine is going into the bag, but plenty of urine is also going elsewhere, and I end up with wet clothes. Sigh. At least now I know. I was just really looking forward to wearing shorts, despite my toothpick legs.
                            T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I just ran across this about the Belly bag. According to this it is being recalled, but Teleflex has been really quiet about it. Something is going on with the Bellybag and Teleflex is not being forthcoming. They keep pushing the available date, and the reason we hear is a packaging problem? I hope so, but I dont think so.

                              http://www.budget101.com/recalls/219...-hip-belt.html
                              T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X