No announcement yet.

Re-painting wheelchairs..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not sand it and pollish it? Bare metal pollished, whether aluminum or titanium, is much easier than paint to keep up. I tried painting my chair, and it looked great, but the chipping was a pain. (You can keep the chipping covered if you get touch up paint.) so I sanded off the paint and used progressively finer sandpapers until it was ready to buff with metal polish. My chair's Ti, so the surface won't corrode. Aluminum you'd have to be a bit more careful with, although you could do a clear coat of spray paint over it and that would help keep it from corroding.

If you do paint your chair, be sure to sand it thoroughly so that the paint will stick. Personally, I like the pollished look--I painted the caster forks and camber assembly as contrast. It's just easier on the up keep.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

Comment

here's a set of pics.
      Supplies needed. The lower the number on the sand paper the rougher.
      Chair at start.
      Chair sanded Start with 150 go to 320. You can use just 320 if you like. Just take the shine off. The rough gives the new paint something to grab.
      Wipe the chair down with alcohol. You can use lacquer thinner or what ever it says on the can. I used stuff around the house so people wouldn't have to go buy a bunch of chemicals they might never use again.
      Chair with primer. Get good paint. Primer and paint from same manufacturer. First coat of prime and color barely cover. Round stuff like a chair is a pain. You waste a lot of paint and always want to spray too much at one time to make it better. Yes that's beer. Drink the beer between coats.
      Give it time to set up.
      The cans will say you can use the chair in 4 hours. Give it over night at least. The longer you give it the better it will be.

Comment

more pics

Wear gloves when you do this. The oils in your hands will get on the chair and the paint won't stick. This took about an hour. Cost $20 bucks max. And I could paint it ten times for the cost.

Comment

Surprised you did not take upholstery, forks, wheels, etc. off. Didn't you end up with spray everywhere?
          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
            Surprised you did not take upholstery, forks, wheels, etc. off. Didn't you end up with spray everywhere?
            He says drink beer. I painted a (one!) car doing that (vodka) once. I started over the next day.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I just painted the corner of the chair. Won't paint the whole thing til next month. Just did it to get the pics. I used the hi-tech piece of cardboard method to protect the wheels. I only take the calf strap and rear wheels off when I normally paint it. That's one of the advantages of painting black with black upholstery. I drink beer when I paint, cause I don't smoke. I figure the best painters smoke. Gives them something to do in between coats. I suck at painting, no patience. I always get runs, because I stare at it about 30 seconds,, then say, that's long enough and shoot it again. Too soon=runs, sags, drips. That's why the beer, gives you something to do while the coat sets up.
              Nonoise: You can't drink hard liquor while you paint, might spill it and cause runs.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                more pics

Wear gloves when you do this. The oils in your hands will get on the chair and the paint won't stick. This took about an hour. Cost $20 bucks max. And I could paint it ten times for the cost.
                Stephen wouldn't be caught dead in that chair (wink in case ya missed it), I'd forego the painting altogether. My chair is about 3 months old and its got scratches on the anonidized parts and I'm like fuck this shit, I hope it scratches all the paint off.
                A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

I'm gonna repaint my chair when my new one shows up. Gonna tear it down to the bare frame. On the front frame and where the casters bolt on I'm going to use truck bedliner, then rattle can everything else.
                  T8/9 (2-24-06)
                  IOWA

Comment

LOL. I don't know how either of you could do it with beer or vodka! I just took a bunch of adhesive Velcro off, while drinking wine, and just about stuck myself to everything in the house, including the dog!
                    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

I know people who have built mechanical wonders with barrels of beer or liquor, it gets the creative and innovative juices flowing!
                      T8/9 (2-24-06)
                      IOWA

Comment

Originally posted by RSieck View Post
                        I'm gonna repaint my chair when my new one shows up. Gonna tear it down to the bare frame. On the front frame and where the casters bolt on I'm going to use truck bedliner, then rattle can everything else.
                        I've tried the truck bed liner, it didn't hold up either. I've found nothing that really takes the abuse on a chair. Epoxy paint, urethane, anodizing (look at my rims in my pics. That's the anodizing done on a Humvee for the Army), bed liner, even some stuff called Corlar, that's used to paint oil rigs in the North Sea. Active gimps are just hard on a chair. Even bare metal loses its shine and has to be polished. I just call it patina or antiquing.

Comment

Originally posted by wtf View Post
                          Stephen wouldn't be caught dead in that chair (wink in case ya missed it), I'd forego the painting altogether. My chair is about 3 months old and its got scratches on the anonidized parts and I'm like fuck this shit, I hope it scratches all the paint off.
                          Heat will remove anodizing. I don't know if a hair dryer would do it, but I've done it with a camp stove. They flash heat it at the place they put the stuff on to clean it.

Comment

I've tried the truck bed liner, it didn't hold up either. I've found nothing that really takes the abuse on a chair. Epoxy paint, urethane, anodizing (look at my rims in my pics. That's the anodizing done on a Humvee for the Army), bed liner, even some stuff called Corlar, that's used to paint oil rigs in the North Sea. Active gimps are just hard on a chair. Even bare metal loses its shine and has to be polished. I just call it patina or antiquing.
                            When you did the bedliner, was it applied to clean bare metal? Cuz I plan on media blasting the whole frame down to bare titanium, then tape off where i want bed liner.
                            T8/9 (2-24-06)
                            IOWA

Comment

That's why the beer...

Comment

Thanks for the pics baldfatdad, great play by play. All of the suggestions/methods have been brilliant! This is turning out to be one cool little thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X