Comfort Company VICAIR cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfort Company VICAIR cushions

I first posted about this cushion technology deep within another thread (Post #49), but when I found this YouTube video, I thought Comfort Company's VICAIR should have its own thread.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
    I first posted about this cushion technology deep within another thread (Post #49), but when I found this YouTube video, I thought Comfort Company's VICAIR should have its own thread.
    The second choice of the PT I saw recently was for the VICAIR Vector (first choice was a ROHO Quadtro High Profile). I noticed in your #49 link that you liked the VICAIR design and feel. Can you not feel the individual triangular cells poking into you?

E
    PS ROHO is on its way
    Last edited by Essie; 04-19-2013, 05:40 PM.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Comment

I used one of those type cushions when they first came out, called MaxPro I think, gave me a nasty pressure sore that took months to heal. Switched to Roho and haven;t looked back.

Too bad, I really liked the light weight of it.
      "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Tried one a while back. Didn't work for me and, like McDuff, went back to ROHO. I was really hoping it would work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Essie View Post
          The second choice of the PT I saw recently was for the VICAIR Vector (first choice was a ROHO Quadtro High Profile). I noticed in your #49 link that you liked the VICAIR design and feel. Can you not feel the individual triangular cells poking into you?

E
          PS ROHO is on its way
          Mine hasn't arrived yet, but sitting in the demo for a couple minutes was super comfortable (no poking).
          Chas
          TiLite TR3
          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
          <
          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

The triangle shape is supposed to help the cells align with each other as a flat surface, so its supposed to NOT poke at you from the way they explain it.
            Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

I had one and like others I had pressure issues

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
                The triangle shape is supposed to help the cells align with each other as a flat surface, so its supposed to NOT poke at you from the way they explain it.
                They do poke you though. My butt had little dots all over after sitting for a while. It's a good theory, but doesn't seem to actually work the way they say it should.

Comment

chasmengr,

Regarding "... VICAIR should have its own thread ..." - here is another Vicair cushion video that shows submerging a Vicair air cell in water and then cutting the cell open to peek inside.

Comment

Chas-

Do you have it yet? You'll give us a full report to include the stability, frictional properties, comfort, distribution of stresses, and heat accumulation when you get it, right?

E

PS Did you get the JS Pro back?
                    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Comment

Chase here in az someone is selling one of these for $50.00

Comment

Originally posted by Essie View Post
                        Chas-

Do you have it yet? You'll give us a full report to include the stability, frictional properties, comfort, distribution of stresses, and heat accumulation when you get it, right?

E

PS Did you get the JS Pro back?
                        Sadly no. I emailed the VA yesterday, and the cushion order hasn't been placed yet. I need to follow up some more. I will post a review when I get it.

The JS Pro seller and I could not agree on a price, so I don't have a rigid back yet either.

Works in progress . . .

Originally posted by randomryan007 View Post
                        Chase here in az someone is selling one of these for $50.00
                        Do you mean a cushion or a back? The guy I was negotiating with on the back lives in AZ. I would gladly pay $50 for a 16" or 17" small JS Pro back in decent shape. VA will buy me the cushion.
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3

<
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

The cushion is what I was talking about.

Comment

I've been using the Comfort Company's Adjuster 3.5" cushion for several weeks now. I love it - it's like sitting on a cloud!

For my needs (providing additional dump) it's great. I removed 50 air cells from each rear pocket (through trial & error stages), and added 10 air cells to each front pocket. It keeps me from sliding in my chair without the wooden wedges I had inserted under the front of my foam cushion and on top of my footrest, which I have since removed. (I also removed the full-width wooden ergo wedges, bent my solid seat pan into an ergo profile, and inserted small wood wedges between the bottom rear of the seat pan and each frame tube. Note: my backrest and side guards no longer fold down.)

The Adjuster is even more comfortable than my Invacare Matrx (which was quite comfortable). I notice no reduction in pushing efficiency (because of the air cushion) and no poking through from the corners of the air cells when I'm sitting (when I'm not in the chair, I can feel the air cells with my hand).

Oh, and I also bought a used ROHO Jetstream Pro Back (JSP17LFA) on eBay, which I also love.

My AeroZ is gradually becoming mine
                            Chas
                            TiLite TR3

<
                            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Way cool Chas. I was curious about how it was going with your "Adjuster".

I get really confused with how products are marketed internationally. Here is a link to the Vicair Adjuster, which I think is the same, from the OEM website. As mentioned before, I'm also confused why a product made in Holland costs us more than the product sold in the US, but that is another story....

Something for us to keep in mind for the future....

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                              My AeroZ is gradually becoming mine
                              Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Working...
                              X