Full-size van advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full-size van advice

Those of you with experience, if you were ordering an e350 for wheelchair conversion tomorrow would you spec it with barn doors or a slider? Why?

How do the power door set-ups tend to compare in terms of reliability and operating speed?

Thanks

2013 last year for the ford van.
    I had the swing out type on my 2003 ford van...on my chevy I have the slider.
    The slider is a lot slower than the swing out.
    Never had a problem with either of them.
    I have ricon lifts on both of them.
    On a ford I have never seen the slider on them.
    Bad thing about the full size van is the 13 or 14 miles to the gallon.
    If you do not drive much not to bad.....but gas gona go up to over 5 dollars a gallon before long.

Art
    Art

Comment

Thanks Art, very helpful.

Luckily I don't drive that much because "fool-size" is my only option for several reasons.

Comment

Been driving a full size for 39 years, all types, sizes, models. Go with the double doors. A lot less trouble not to mention sliding doors are not produced very often these days. You're going with the 350 so you shouldn't have a problem but I always beefed up the rear springs on my E150s.
        "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Like Deadeye said, barn doors are a lot simpler and maintenance free. Since the main advantage of a slider is saving space, using a ramp or lift will negate any space saving.

The Ford Transit Connect Van gets 21/27 mpg compared to the e350's 12/16
          Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Comment

Barn doors.
            You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
            http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
            http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Barn doors! If you have any dirt roads or snow and ice you'll constantly be cleaning out the tracks on the slider

Comment

Zaphod,

Regarding "... barn doors or a slider ..." - the barn door type presents the minor benefit of partially blocking cold winter winds and a portion of the sideways component of rain while you use the lift.

Comment

Dual doors are by far the more popular option, possibly as not all lifts will work with a sliding door. In all my vans I have only had one with a slider and the issue I had was with the motor/gear system being sufficient to open the door. (I never had any issues in thw winter with snow or ice.)

I wonder why you would want a 350 and even question DeadEye why he felt the need to stiffen the rear springs? A half ton truck can easily haul more weight than what these lifts weigh. Somewhere in the mid 00's Ford upted the rear spring rate in the e150. These vans don't ride great in the first place, going with a 350 would be a rough ride IMO. My 150 came with E rated tires and it it one rough ride.
                  C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

That's just how I roll Brian

No love for the slider around here! Thanks everyone for taking the time to post.

Comment

Ford 350

I have a '01 Ford 350 and it is a very rough ride. When the tank is full of diesel it smooths out for about an 1/8 of a tank.

Comment

my 1978 e150 had slider, it got to where it wouldn't shut all the way close, guess the motor got weak
                        my 1990 e150 had barn doors (called 60/40s) they worked great
                        my 1997 e150 had barn and worked great
                        my 2005 e150 had barn doors, and one door motor kept getting weak, but i think that was due to having it three weeks one of my bear of a dude friends thought he'd help me and open my door for me and pulled it open by hand quickly
                        my 2012 e150 is barn doors and doing good so far
                        We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                        Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by eversonsail View Post
                          I have a '01 Ford 350 and it is a very rough ride. When the tank is full of diesel it smooths out for about an 1/8 of a tank.
                          If I'm not mistaken, the tank in conversion vans resides behind the rear axle... meaning... If you find your ride improves on a full tank of fuel, adding some weight at the back of your rig might help a lot. My personal choice would be some nice big heavy subwoofer boxes... but a few sand bags would get the job done too. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                            I wonder why you would want a 350 and even question DeadEye why he felt the need to stiffen the rear springs? A half ton truck can easily haul more weight than what these lifts weigh. Somewhere in the mid 00's Ford upted the rear spring rate in the e150. These vans don't ride great in the first place, going with a 350 would be a rough ride IMO. My 150 came with E rated tires and it it one rough ride.
                            For me, it handles much and I still see vans sagging on the lift side, but the biggest reason for me is that I often pull a utility trailer with UTV or our 6x10 enclosed trailer. No need to add a leaf on anything other than the 150 though, but just my preference.
                            "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

My powerchair and me can weigh a lot. With my Omegatrac we almost tipped over a 1/2 ton chevy van loading from the side, scared the shit out of me and the owner.

The heavier the van the less it will tilt when loading. I seriously hate looking at the ground when the lift is going up. Plus, it ain't good on the vehicle. Maybe add a leaf or so on the load side. Will not hurt anything, we used to do it on street race cars so they wouldn't spin. Something to consider.
                              C 5/6 Comp.
                              No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X