Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full-size van advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by DeadEye View Post
    For me, it handles much and I still see vans sagging on the lift side, but the biggest reason for me is that I often pull a utility trailer with UTV or our 6x10 enclosed trailer. No need to add a leaf on anything other than the 150 though, but just my preference.
    I have never had any of mine sag on the lift side, nor can I say I have seen it. That said, if you are doing some regular hauling with a 150 I can see why you may prefer the added leaf. My dad and brother have 3/4 ton trucks and the difference in towing isn't subtle. As I say, Ford boosted the payload of the 150 somewhere around 2006'ish. Regulations made it so 150's couldn't be used anymore, that is why there are no used 150's from the early 00's. When Ford changed the payload on 150's they could once again be used.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

    Comment


    • #17
      I haven't closely examined the 150/350 payloads, I'm keen on a 350 because it's available in an extended passenger version. Having said that I would actually be pretty surprised if a 150 left much headroom in the GVWR after the weight of the dropped floor mods, lift, fuel, 250lbs of powerchair, + me and whatever passengers/gear I want to carry, and I want to tow.

      I was very excited about goshichi trucks for a long time but ultimately that's their downfall.... when all is said and done I'd have enough weight capacity left over for a small lady passenger and a half tank of fuel. (1/2 ton, 3/4 isnt available in Canada) I'm all for small lady passengers... but a little flexibility in that dept. comes in handy at times. :-P

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Zaphod View Post
        I haven't closely examined the 150/350 payloads, I'm keen on a 350 because it's available in an extended passenger version. Having said that I would actually be pretty surprised if a 150 left much headroom in the GVWR after the weight of the dropped floor mods, lift, fuel, 250lbs of powerchair, + me and whatever passengers/gear I want to carry, and I want to tow.... :-P
        Given that you want more interior height and length, I'd just wait and get a 2014 Ford Transit. I'm guessing they'll be priced closer to E-series than Sprinter. I can't imagine Ford would be willing to risk losing market share in vans. And, even if you are partial to E-series, you have to think that Transit will erase the huge resale premium that used conversion now enjoy. The depreciation of a 2013 E series conversion might be rather steep.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Zaphod View Post
          If I'm not mistaken, the tank in conversion vans resides behind the rear axle... meaning... If you find your ride improves on a full tank of fuel, adding some weight at the back of your rig might help a lot. My personal choice would be some nice big heavy subwoofer boxes... but a few sand bags would get the job done too. Just a thought.
          Your are correct E150-350 lowered floor Ford vans have aft axle fuel systems and have had them since around 1992

          Barn doors are preferred. I don't care for sliding side doors on full size vehicles.

          While the newer Fords ride better than the older ones or some reason the extended vans ride very harsh.

          New tires and shocks make for a night and day difference in the ride quality.
          Jim, MA, MMET
          Bridgewater, MA

          Comment


          • #20
            I have an E-350.

            Sure the ride is tight but there's no sag and if I ever buy a trailer/camper. I have no worries.

            It's a manual sliding door. And people have to shut it for me. But I don't drive because I would kill someone if and when I'd eventually lose control. Yeah, I'm kind of paralyzed. Maybe one day when I'm less paralyzed.

            But yeah, I'd go with dual power opening doors if I could.

            It only has 20,000kms on it. I loves it.




            So people, is there a motor I can get for the slinding door?

            Comment


            • #21
              The sliding door can be automated NorthQuad, but it might shock you what it costs, it shocked me. I got a look at the van quote being sent to my insurance for this endeavor and just for automating the 60/40 doors WCB pays $42XX.XX.... crazy

              Comment


              • #22
                P.S. Is that a CB antennae sticking up there? OLD SCHOOL! lol

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                  Barn doors.
                  I was raised on a farm...and barn doors I had ever seen were sliders....I would think barn doors is the wrong Termanology myself....but what do I know......lol
                  Art

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by IsMaisin View Post
                    Like Deadeye said, barn doors are a lot simpler and maintenance free. Since the main advantage of a slider is saving space, using a ramp or lift will negate any space saving.

                    The Ford Transit Connect Van gets 21/27 mpg compared to the e350's 12/16
                    You can't drive these vans yourself I believe.....they are just transport vans for wheelchair users.
                    I sure hope they come out with cheaper stuff in the future tho.
                    Art

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Zaphod View Post
                      That's just how I roll Brian

                      No love for the slider around here! Thanks everyone for taking the time to post.
                      Really I had more trouble with the 60 40 doors on my 2003 ford van due to the outside hinge.
                      I always had to lube them to keep them moving freely....or you will burn up the door motor.
                      I bought the 7 year warranty at the time and at 6 and 1/2 years they got so stiff my dealer replace them with different ones free of charge. Just keep them lubed and clean.
                      They changed the design from 2003 so maybe not a problem no more.
                      Art

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Zaphod View Post
                        If I'm not mistaken, the tank in conversion vans resides behind the rear axle... meaning... If you find your ride improves on a full tank of fuel, adding some weight at the back of your rig might help a lot. My personal choice would be some nice big heavy subwoofer boxes... but a few sand bags would get the job done too. Just a thought.
                        I never liked the gas tank there....reminds me of the pinto....Boom
                        Art

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by MSspouse View Post
                          Given that you want more interior height and length, I'd just wait and get a 2014 Ford Transit. I'm guessing they'll be priced closer to E-series than Sprinter. I can't imagine Ford would be willing to risk losing market share in vans. And, even if you are partial to E-series, you have to think that Transit will erase the huge resale premium that used conversion now enjoy. The depreciation of a 2013 E series conversion might be rather steep.
                          Is the 2014 Transit made to drive from a transfer to a seat....I know the older models were only transport vans?
                          Art

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            The full size transit will probably be a better conversion at some point, especially with the ecoboost or diesel... but I put off this vehicle procedure for at least a year waiting for one promising conversion to materialize... it never did. I can get everything I need out of an e350 today, and it looks like my insurance is going to sign off on it so I'm going ahead while I can.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Zaphod View Post
                              The full size transit will probably be a better conversion at some point, especially with the ecoboost or diesel... but I put off this vehicle procedure for at least a year waiting for one promising conversion to materialize... it never did. I can get everything I need out of an e350 today, and it looks like my insurance is going to sign off on it so I'm going ahead while I can.
                              Anything new gonna take a few years for the conversion to catch up I would think....something new always has bugs for a couple of years.
                              Art

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I don't think you can buy a chevy van anymore to drive yourself.....they put the fuse box under the drives seat and it cant be moved last time I checked......only a transport van now.
                                If you want to drive and have a electric chair after 2013 I think you pretty much stuck with a mini van from what I been told.
                                Anybody have any more info out there?
                                Art

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X