Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand controls

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by nonoise View Post
    You better find out what is now on the driving test. I stopped parallel parking years ago when I bought a full size van. So for the test I practiced with the car and tested with the car.
    Yes that is a good thing to know.

    Comment


      #32
      Btw these are the ones I was looking at buying
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005P9SHGK

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by SequinScandal View Post
        Btw these are the ones I was looking at buying
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005P9SHGK
        I like those for temps for two reasons. One reason is that the gas and brake are hooked together better than the pair from Sportaid that I got. But the main reason I like it is the cloth strap hanger. It looks like it might be a bit more stable. Mine was nothing more a band around the steering column which was absolutely worthless.

        Disclaimer: I am not advocating temps on a full time basis. I do hope it works for you. I only need the brake and I've got mine permanently mounted to the dash with an eyebolt so it doesn't flop around.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by nonoise View Post
          I like those for temps for two reasons. One reason is that the gas and brake are hooked together better than the pair from Sportaid that I got. But the main reason I like it is the cloth strap hanger. It looks like it might be a bit more stable. Mine was nothing more a band around the steering column which was absolutely worthless.

          Disclaimer: I am not advocating temps on a full time basis. I do hope it works for you. I only need the brake and I've got mine permanently mounted to the dash with an eyebolt so it doesn't flop around.

          Oh yeah I definitely don't plan on using these on a full time basis. They are just being used for practice and so that I can take a road test. When I buy my car I will have permanent controls installed. Btw yes I did buy these today

          Comment


            #35
            I had portable controls and the examiner did not even look at them. My license had expired, so I was required to take both written and driving test. All my driving test consisted of was once around the block. He did ask me who drove the car up to the DMV office. I had to tell the truth. Luckily he just laughed and said he would over look it. Make sure all your lights and horn work. They want test in a car here in NC if it has a burned out light. Yep he checked.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by SequinScandal View Post
              Btw these are the ones I was looking at buying
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005P9SHGK
              I have used these in two different cars for almost 9 yrs. They are still just like new.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                The clerk at the DMV told me to practice parallel parking and backing around corners. Those are the two biggest test failure areas here. There are utube instructions.
                One thing they looked for in MN was always keeping one hand on the steering wheel.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by SequinScandal View Post
                  Btw these are the ones I was looking at buying
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005P9SHGK
                  They look like the PHC-3 controls. They're very easy to install.

                  http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RLIQV...%3DRLIQVfCd1Bs

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                    It looks like it might be a bit more stable.
                    Good point. Since this is new territory for her, a more stable set of controls will be safer and easier to get comfortable with, e.g. permanent set. I have a set of the PHC-3 and they definitely don't compare to a permanent set in terms of comfort and ease of use.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      I had to parallel park, it was the first thing I had to pass before starting out on the road. Tough when the vehicle is not yours. Since I was 49 when I took the test, the examiner asked if I had a licence before. When I said over 30 years, he stoped writing and we bullshited the rest of the way.

                      They were very serious about pp though. I screwed it up the first time a little and they stopped me right away. Had to come back.
                      C 5/6 Comp.
                      No Tri's or hand function.

                      Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

                      Teddy Roosevelt

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Nope you don't have to PP here UNLESS you take your test at a DMV in the city. But I live in the suburbs and its not a requirement here.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Ok so today I got a chance to install the controls. I was able to do it myself. The controls themselves were extremely simple to put on. However, it was a bit of a struggle to actually reach down there to get them on. I'm a T1 so it would probably be easier for someone with a lower injury with more trunk control. Taking the controls off was a breeze. Let me just say that I was EXTREMELY impressed with the way the controls functioned. They required minimal effort to brake and accelerate. I did use the strap to stabilize the controls. I forgot to take a picture though. I will next time I'm out. So far I've driven with 3 different types of controls. Two being right mounted and than these. The first set I don't know what brand they were but I didn't care for them. These were the ones I used at my drivers rehabilitation course. I felt the controls required more effort to accelerate. And my hand got tired faster. Yesterday I also tried the Menox controls. These were nice. But honestly everyone talks about how much better permanent controls are but I really don't see the big difference between the $300 portable ones I used vs the top of the line Menox controls. And I think I prefer the controls to be mounted on the left. But that's just a personal preference. I'm so happy with these controls. I wish I would have gotten them sooner. I could have had my license a long time ago lol

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Picture

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by SequinScandal View Post
                              Ok so today I got a chance to install the controls. I was able to do it myself. The controls themselves were extremely simple to put on. However, it was a bit of a struggle to actually reach down there to get them on. I'm a T1 so it would probably be easier for someone with a lower injury with more trunk control. Taking the controls off was a breeze. Let me just say that I was EXTREMELY impressed with the way the controls functioned. They required minimal effort to brake and accelerate. I did use the strap to stabilize the controls. I forgot to take a picture though. I will next time I'm out. So far I've driven with 3 different types of controls. Two being right mounted and than these. The first set I don't know what brand they were but I didn't care for them. These were the ones I used at my drivers rehabilitation course. I felt the controls required more effort to accelerate. And my hand got tired faster. Yesterday I also tried the Menox controls. These were nice. But honestly everyone talks about how much better permanent controls are but I really don't see the big difference between the $300 portable ones I used vs the top of the line Menox controls. And I think I prefer the controls to be mounted on the left. But that's just a personal preference. I'm so happy with these controls. I wish I would have gotten them sooner. I could have had my license a long time ago lol
                              Congrats and I hope this opens some more doors for you.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Patton57 View Post
                                Congrats and I hope this opens some more doors for you.
                                Thank you very much!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X