Jetstream Pro Backrest - Sizing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetstream Pro Backrest - Sizing question

I am currently negotiating the long-distance, private purchase of a JSP16LFA backrest (adjustable hardware). The owner's manual gives the adjustment range as 15-16.5", but I seem to remember reading on CCC that people often fit a rigid back 1" narrower than their chair.

Will a 16" JSP adjustable backrest fit on my 17 wide" AeroZ okay?

TIA
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

There is a possibility your push handles may protrude ot the back posts or edges may cause discomfort. If it is cheap enough, it could help you build a case for the VA to provide a 17" wide ADI version.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 25 Mar 2013, 7:34 AM.

Comment

I have a 16 inch wide Jetstream back (with adjustable hardware) on my 16 inch wide chair if it helps.
      "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by wheeliecoach View Post
        I have a 16 inch wide Jetstream back (with adjustable hardware) on my 16 inch wide chair if it helps.
        (deleted) Nevermind, have a different model.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
          There is a possibility your push handles may protrude ot the back posts or edges may cause discomfort. If it is cheap enough, it could help you build a case for the VA to provide a 17" wide ADI version.
          Yes, it is cheap. When I asked the VA PT about getting me a rigid back, she showed hesitation saying many vets didn't like them. So I thought I'd do exactly what you're saying. My fabric back seems to be working fine, but I want to try a rigid to see if it works better for me before asking the VA for one.

Concurrently, I'll see what angle my back canes should be for a rigid mount, so in case I do like it, my next chair's back can have welded canes.

Thanks
          Chas
          TiLite TR3
          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
          <
          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

chas, I had adjustable back on old chair. May have been fine learning how to use chair, but once good, the back was garbage. Adjustable ate up a ton of energy. And with the adjustments, those things wear and come loose. This only info to consider.

Comment

JetStream Pro Sizing

Chas,

I believe you will have problems with this fit. I'll confirm and get back to you, but I believe you can size down by 1" but not size up by 1". Let me research and confirm before you make this purchase.

Regards,

Tom

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
              I am currently negotiating the long-distance, private purchase of a JSP16LFA backrest (adjustable hardware). The owner's manual gives the adjustment range as 15-16.5", but I seem to remember reading on CCC that people often fit a rigid back 1" narrower than their chair.

[ATTACH]49109[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH]49110[/ATTACH]

TIA

Comment

Chas,

Got a quick confirmation, and what I stated is correct. You will have a problem fitting a 16" JetStream back on to a 17" wide Ti frame. The 16" JetStream will fit a 16" frame, and can be adjustable to fit many 15" frames.

Regards,

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Borcherding View Post
                  Chas,

Got a quick confirmation, and what I stated is correct. You will have a problem fitting a 16" JetStream back on to a 17" wide Ti frame. The 16" JetStream will fit a 16" frame, and can be adjustable to fit many 15" frames.

Regards,

Tom
                  Thanks Tom, I am very mechanically minded (spent years as a craftsman in the construction trades). I am thinking I can install some bushings and/or longer bolts in critical locations to make it fit. Again my goal is just to see whether or not a rigid back is right for me. If it is, I'll ask the VA for a correctly sized one and make this 16" back available to someone else
                  Last edited by chasmengr; 25 Mar 2013, 4:04 PM.
                  Chas
                  TiLite TR3

<
                  UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Hi Chas-
                    I am looking at mine (a 14" on a 13" width chair). I think if you got longer bolts and spacers (washers, bushings) for the bolts that connect to the actual back (not the posts) you could make it work. If you were someone else I would say "no" but you... you could do it.
                    E
                    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Comment

Originally posted by Essie View Post
                      Hi Chas-
                      I am looking at mine (a 14" on a 13" width chair). I think if you got longer bolts and spacers (washers, bushings) for the bolts that connect to the actual back (not the posts) you could make it work. If you were someone else I would say "no" but you... you could do it.
                      E
                      Thank you
                      Chas
                      TiLite TR3

<
                      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Hi guys,

I have similar dilemma, don't know weather to use

JSP17MFA JetStream Pro Mid Back 16" to 17.5" /40.5 to 44.5 cm
                        or
                        JSP18MFA JetStream Pro Mid Back 17" to 18.5" / 43 to 47 cm

on 17" wide backrest of TR3.

Does anybody have experience with that?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nick87 View Post
                          Hi guys,

I have similar dilemma, don't know weather to use

or

on 17" wide backrest of TR3.

Does anybody have experience with that?

Thanks

These backs come with hardware to allow for depth adjustment ("A"), correct? If that's a correct assumption then the decision then becomes whether you want the option to tweak your seating position further forward or rearward?

Further forward:

Further rearward:
                          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post

What did you decide?

E
                            There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Comment

So far, the seller has not responded to my offer. He was slow to respond to my initial contact regarding his for sale notice, so I don't know if he's thinking about it or ignoring me. He did send me pics and the model #, so I know it's a JSP16LFA in good shape with the privacy flap. I'll wait awhile longer for him to respond, before trying to contact him again.

I almost got one on eBay for $51, but my computer wasn't fast enough to beat the bidding system within the last minute
                              Chas
                              TiLite TR3

<
                              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                              X