Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering how many peeps on this forum who load and unload their chairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brian View Post
    I have a Quickie GPV and drive a VW GTI and a Fiat Spider.

If your arms and shoulders are strong enough your chair weight doesn't really matter.
    I have the same chair and it is 31 pounds with wheels and all, do not know how much it
    weighs without wheels and have had a mustang and now a second van and a taurus and have always thought the same thing that it would not matter if I was strong enough. When my wife is with me she puts it the car or van for me. If I have time I cycle most of the places I go, one of the things I like about having my attachment....

Comment

I drive a 2010 Ford Raptor and pull me TiLite TX folder in the back door. No lifting since it rolls in and no mess since it goes in the back seat not over me in the front.
      Push me to the limit,
      maybe I may bend,
      but I will not be broken.
      -Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado Boy View Post
        I drive a 2010 Ford Raptor and pull me TiLite TX folder in the back door. No lifting since it rolls in and no mess since it goes in the back seat not over me in the front.
        How much of a pullup is it to get into the driver's seat? My husband drives an F150, and I'd hate to have to get into that every day.

Comment

Originally posted by djrolling View Post
          I have the same chair and it is 31 pounds with wheels and all, do not know how much it
          weighs without wheels and have had a mustang and now a second van and a taurus and have always thought the same thing that it would not matter if I was strong enough. When my wife is with me she puts it the car or van for me. If I have time I cycle most of the places I go, one of the things I like about having my attachment....
          Just for frame of reference, my ZR2 is under 23 lbs. with everything: wheels, cushions, locks, etc.
          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
            Strength alone is not the issue, preservation of shoulder function is. Lifting a chair into a car is not a graceful operation and having the lightest weight chair possible could be the difference -- especially over time -- between shoulders that last years and those that last decades.
            I'm not going to argue with you on that. "Doesn't matter" probably wasn't the right way to phrase it. My only point is that being stronger and keeping your body fit and healthy will have a positive affect on physical durability. I'd rather spend 30min working out every other day than $5000 on a chair that's only 4lbs lighter.

Originally posted by djrolling View Post
            I have the same chair and it is 31 pounds with wheels and all
            That seems like a lot. Is it loaded up with armrests and tippers and push handles and such?

Comment

Beater/outdoor chair is a Crossfire T6 w/ knobby tires, everyday chair is an Icon. Daily driver is a Subaru Outback.

If your arms and shoulders are strong enough your chair weight doesn't really matter.
              I'm basically in this camp. I'm all for making chairs as lightweight as possible, but when shaving a pound or two costs an extra grand or two, I'm okay with a little "extra" weight for the sake of financial practicality.

I get that shoulder strain is an issue, but really, consider more than just reducing weight for loading a chair into a car. Repetitive movements experienced during propulsion is a bigger issue for rotator cuff injury, in my opinion.

Comment

I use a Quickie folder. Weighs 24 lbs complete. I take the cushion off, fold and go. I had a ridged, but went to the folder. Faster to load. I've wondered if lifting the folder or all the farting around disassembling the ridged and repetitive motion of loading all the parts of the ridged is worse?

Comment

My chair is loaded/unloaded between 4 and 8 times a day. Either a Quickie GT or Lasher BT-Mg. No contest. One practically lifts itself and the other actively causes pain when hoisting. Size matters, too. (That's what she said. Budumpbump, tah!)
                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I have a Quickie GPV and drive a VW GTI and a Fiat Spider.

I use to be a gym rat that worked out 4 hours a day/5 days a week. I screwed up my right shoulder because of how hard I worked out.

therefore, weight matters a lot now.

Comment

You guys got me thinking about how much my chair really weights....TiLite 1 or 2 not sure which, with the wheels and cushion off, but the arm rests and side guards on, it weights 25 pounds. Thats with no push handles or anti tip stuff, but I do have 6"x1.5" casters, sure is heavy compared with some of your chairs. Better keep those shoulders and arm in good shape.
                      T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

I'm not going to argue with you on that. "Doesn't matter" probably wasn't the right way to phrase it. My only point is that being stronger and keeping your body fit and healthy will have a positive affect on physical durability. I'd rather spend 30min working out every other day than $5000 on a chair that's only 4lbs lighter.

That seems like a lot. Is it loaded up with armrests and tippers and push handles and such?
                        No armrest, tippers or push handles. The hardware where the armrest would go is still on there but that is it. That is chair, cushion and tires and that is according to the scales at the doctors office.....

Comment

Tilite TR, Quickie GT, Marvel :- into a Honda CRV.

Marvel is the easiest as it all comes apart really easily into small manageable pieces. Front end, separating from the main body, also makes it really easy to stow and pull over my lap. The TR is lighter than the Marvel, but is a lot more awkward, to be honest it's more the awkward that F's up my shoulders than the weight. Have to work on my technique.

Comment

I load mine 1/2 the time. Everything on my chair comes off quick. My new chair I don't think I will be so lucky

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                              I've wondered if lifting the folder or all the farting around disassembling the ridged and repetitive motion of loading all the parts of the ridged is worse?
                              I think thats a good question, though maybe disability specific. I obviously am a unique case like Chas but I personally found that some of the repetitive movements to break down and reassemble my chair were worse than lifting more weight. When I was planning my chair I thought mostly about lightest weight when broken down, and didn't care about wheel weight because as long as I could lift the wheels one at a time it was fine... Now I'm thinking very differently. But it was my first ultralight chair so I had to learn a lot about what use worked for me as I went along.

I'm amazed at how often some of you load and unload your chairs! Makes sense though, you really don't think about how often its needed if you're working and have to run errands or get gas too etc.

I personally don't load my chair daily... Plus of course have a different disability but I'll weigh in for fun anyway. I currently drive one of two minivans that are both owned by roommates, can't drive my car because its a manual. I can stand and walk some, but have a weak and damaged upper body since my disability is all over. In the blue van I load my chair behind the drivers seat. I take off the wheels and cushion and fold the back. I stand leaning against the van with my left arm hooked around the part of the van between the seats and hold on to the handle thingy on the inside while I lift the frame in or out of the van. Then I sit on the edge while assembling, or vise versa disassembling before lifting the chair in. In the green van I load it into the back. Sometimes I just remove the cushion and while sitting lift the whole thing, using my right leg under to help lifting it up, in an angle from my left across my body and into the van on my right. (I use momentum and sort of swing it up and in as fast as I can) Sometimes I remove the wheels first, and then load the frame the same way. I think if I can get more strength its less damaging to my joints doing the whole thing in one motion, especially when I'm having to go multiple places in one day.

When I'm with anyone, they load the chair for me.
                              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Totally fine lifting my Quickie GTi with spinergy wheels into vehicle for 23yrs now.

Did it for 20yrs+ with a Quickie 2HP ...
                                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Working...
                                X