Getting new TiLite chair, from Q7 to Tilite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
    And yes you typically lose seat depth with a hard shell back, the Jay3 hardware is the exception to that rule.

ADI, and Varilite, also have depth adjustable hardware available. Been using adjustable '2 Point' hardware from ADI for ~6 years. Works well for ~1" fore and aft wiggle room.
    Last edited by Oddity; 27 Feb 2013, 6:09 PM. Reason: Removed "pro" from "2 point". The "pro" version is newer.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
      ADI, and Varilite, also have depth adjustable hardware available. Been using adjustable '2 Point Pro' hardware from ADI for ~6 years. Works well for ~1" fore and aft wiggle room.
      Yeah, and I have a Jetstream Pro with the fixed hardware, it easily adjusts back to where a cloth back would be.

Comment

t8, does it mean that you didnt lose any seat depth with JetStream?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick87 View Post
          t8, does it mean that you didnt lose any seat depth with JetStream?
          It means you can adjust it so you don't lose any seat depth.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
            that's good to know, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
              Whoa! Hold on there, partner!

ADI Designs makes the Roho JetStream and also markets their own line of nearly identical carbon fiber backs. Not all of the mounting hardware they offer allows for depth adjustment. For example, my ADI back has their Fixed Elite mounting hardware and it's. . . fixed.

Explore the ADI website to preview the options available.
              Last edited by stephen212; 27 Feb 2013, 5:48 PM.
              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I'd really like to try a fixed back again, such as the ADI CF with fixed elite hardware, but between the cost and possibility of not being able to return it if it doesn't work keeps from doing so.
                C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

I have 3. 2 Jetstreams and 1 ADI 10" in CF.

The ADI and 1 Jetsteam have "Fixed Elite" mounts. No adjustments.

The other Jetstream has the old style ADI "2 point" hardware, which uses brackets very similar to the Fixed Elite, with another mating bracket between the cane clamps and the shell.

This additional bracket allows angle, width, and depth adjustments.

No longer available on ADI products, but is still what comes on Jetstreams ordered with "adjustable" option.

The newer ADI products have "2 Point Pro" hardware option, which replaced and allows similar adjustability as the old "2 Point", that Roho still uses.

I think.

Maybe Todd, ADI will chime in, as the product has evolved.
                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                    Whoa! Hold on there, partner!

ADI Designs makes the Roho JetStream and also markets their own line of nearly identical carbon fiber backs. Not all of the mounting hardware they offer allows for depth adjustment. For example, my ADI back has their Fixed Elite mounting hardware and it's. . . fixed.

Explore the ADI website to preview the options available.
                    The mounting hardware on both my Jetstream backs looks different from that and adjusts front to back about 1.5 inches. Sorry for the confusion.

ETA: What Dale said.

Comment

Originally posted by Big View Post
                      Lin, you can look at European options here but at European prices
                      Thanks! But I looked at that site when the OP posted a link, I couldn't find anything with products just marketing for the model.

I looked again at the US quickie q7 replacement parts site and there still isn't a carbon fiber fendered version. Also, in the photos of the OPs chair it looked like aluminum fender not carbon fiber? But of course its hard to tell unless you can see the tell tale weave of the carbon fabric.

ADI, and Varilite, also have depth adjustable hardware available. Been using adjustable '2 Point' hardware from ADI for ~6 years. Works well for ~1" fore and aft wiggle room.
                      Good to know with the 2 point you can adjust as far back as a fabric back. One thing I've been wondering is with the lighter weight hardware backs, do any of them come with the same shape at the top as the mid thoracic Jay 3? I've only seen a sort of flat across the top shape of the ADI and Roho but maybes thats just because its more common to see the lower lumbar only backs. The curved shape at the top of my Jay 3 allows me to have it positioned higher without getting in the way of my shoulder blade movement. I'd like to get a lighter weight back on my next chair, especially since I can take my custom foam blocks right off the Jay3 and put them on any other back by adding velcro.
                      Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
                        Thanks! But I looked at that site when the OP posted a link, I couldn't find anything with products just marketing for the model.

I looked again at the US quickie q7 replacement parts site and there still isn't a carbon fiber fendered version. Also, in the photos of the OPs chair it looked like aluminum fender not carbon fiber? But of course its hard to tell unless you can see the tell tale weave of the carbon fabric.

Good to know with the 2 point you can adjust as far back as a fabric back. One thing I've been wondering is with the lighter weight hardware backs, do any of them come with the same shape at the top as the mid thoracic Jay 3? I've only seen a sort of flat across the top shape of the ADI and Roho but maybes thats just because its more common to see the lower lumbar only backs. The curved shape at the top of my Jay 3 allows me to have it positioned higher without getting in the way of my shoulder blade movement. I'd like to get a lighter weight back on my next chair, especially since I can take my custom foam blocks right off the Jay3 and put them on any other back by adding velcro.
                        The Jay hardware is the set with the most adjustability that I have seen. Looks a bit "medical" for my tastes, not that the chair isn't already a dead give away!

Depth and width are limited on my 2 point to .5" from spec in both directions. Basically, only about an inch wider/narrower or deeper/shallower.

Enough, though, IMO.

Comment

The Jay hardware is the set with the most adjustability that I have seen. Looks a bit "medical" for my tastes, not that the chair isn't already a dead give away!

Depth and width are limited on my 2 point to .5" from spec in both directions. Basically, only about an inch wider/narrower or deeper/shallower.

Enough, though, IMO.
                          i was trying to find out this exactly, so thank you! actually, is that .5" (as in 13mm) approximately or precisely?

Comment

Originally posted by amyk View Post
                            i was trying to find out this exactly, so thank you! actually, is that .5" (as in 13mm) approximately or precisely?

Approximately precise.

For width adjustment, it's correct. .5" adjustment wider or narrower on each side. 16"W, spec'd with 2 Point, Jetstream can fit a 15" or a 17" wide back. Making it wider also sinks the shell a tad back between the canes, while making it narrower pushes it forware a bit more than stock. Width adjustment slightly alters depth.

The depth adjustment looks to my eye to have exactly twice the extra track for sliding back and forth than the width track has, but that's approximate.

We all probably sit with different pressure on our backrests, so the cushion compression will play into depth, too. I've fabricated my own cushions, to help address some seating issues, using layers of Varilite Cheatsheets custom trimmed to build up the base contours I need, with foam from a fabric shop over top.

I'd get the right size, personally, if the option is available.

Comment

Finally, i got my CAD drawing today

I'm thinking to change following

RSH 16"
                              Footrest width 11"
                              front angle 80 deg
                              COG 5"

Now, I'm not sure weather to go with
                              80 deg frame angle
                              or 85 deg and +1" frame depth

any suggestions?

thanks!

Comment

Finally, i got my CAD drawing today
                                Yeah. Progress

Now, I'm not sure weather to go with
                                80 deg frame angle
                                or 85 deg and +1" frame depth

any suggestions?

thanks!
                                As long as your OFL remains 24.1", the front-end angle will make little difference; caster size options are fewer with a sharper angle but 4" casters are available with either angle.

Your chair looks almost exactly like I hope my next chair will look like.
                                Last edited by chasmengr; 3 Apr 2013, 10:39 AM.
                                Chas
                                TiLite TR3
                                Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                                I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                                <
                                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                                X