No announcement yet.

how long for quads get used to no armrests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depended on the seat dump and cog. In a chair with minimal or no seat dump I never did get adjusted. In a chair with 3 inches plus of seat dump it was easier.

Comment

I personally never used armrests. I keep my hands on my wheels or lap if I'm not moving.

Comment

Yeppers! Those things are NOT light. Unfortunatetely, I do not think many suppliers inform much about technical of a wheelchair. Weight being one thing. If never bought one and now speccing one, heck "what is the difference between 20 and 22 lbs?" Your brain is saying trivial - 2 lbs nothing. Look at it differently and those 2 lbs are 10 % of total weight. What else in your daily routine could you simply add/remove 10? of that weight and successfully execute?
        Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 17 Feb 2013, 10:53 AM. Reason: typma

Comment

If you move from a solid back to a soft, there are far more difficulties with what that solid back is doing for you that a soft will not. The soft "stretches" continually as you use that for support and even more if using that as support when you are pushing and even more on an incline. The wears the soft extrememly quick. This is just something to think about if you are not aware of this.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
            I remember you were considering the Q7 or the Rogue for your back... So I think you had good reason to get the jay 3, and its a great back! I hope you can find out how to make it work. Either purchasing lighter hardware, or some modification like some have done with rigid backs.
            you're right ~Lin, the jay3 is really comfortable. i can notice a BIG weight difference without it though. i still have it so may change back if this cloth back starts bothering me.

i got the 3" depth so that mighta helped steady me up without the armrests. we all have to dial em in so i'll get it right after some changing around. i wasn't thinking that she could pull it off before lifting too.

Comment

Originally posted by rollin64 View Post
              i got the 3" depth so that mighta helped steady me up without the armrests. we all have to dial em in so i'll get it right after some changing around. i wasn't thinking that she could pull it off before lifting too.
              I have followed some of this thread but not all the posts. I meant to ask if you were removing back before lifting chair but then assumed you were. In regard to removing the back before lifting and placing in the car I would definitely recommend.

I have been using the Jay 3 about three years. I transfer in my car and lift chair across me. Once or twice early on I spaced out and put the chair in with the back on. The weight makes the whole chair much more cumbersome. I always pop it on and off when putting in and out of car. Only takes a few seconds and makes it much easier/lighter.

Good luck,
              ches

Comment

Working...
              X