I'm Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Done

After many months (6) of waiting to get a new manual chair (ICON) and having the paperwork never even make it for approval to the insurance company, I am finished. I just do not understand why it takes the DME so long to get paperwork correctly completed.

I had a significant fall yesterday which resulted in a concussion and made me realize I am better off getting a chair from eBay that comes "close enough" then continuing to put my life on hold. Is this the game played by the DME/insurance companies? Wear the client down until they give up? ARGH!

Essie

PS Thanks for letting me vent
    PSS my "needed" post.
    Last edited by Essie; 14 Feb 2013, 7:45 PM. Reason: added link
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

I was wondering how it was going with your new chair Essie. Sorry it's not going better. We basically had the same experience, and if all goes as planned, it will be 10+ months from the official start of the process when we get the new chair. I'm not holding my breath.

Knowing what bureaucracy is like in Holland, we did order a used chair fairly early on in the process, because we knew it would be needed anyway. Unfortunately, even that took a few months to make workable. After 2 bad falls from a bad wheelchair, I'm glad we did that, but unfortunately, too late to avoid the falls.

Is there any way you can manage a reasonable used chair so you can take your time for the exact chair that you need? It certainly helped us lower the stress, but even with that, it's been very frustrating and time consuming.

I don't blame you for venting. I think many of us can relate. It's a crazy world with medical equipment.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Not sure where you are in the US, but most hospitals have a "lending closet" where you can borrow DME until yours arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by willingtocope View Post
        Not sure where you are in the US, but most hospitals have a "lending closet" where you can borrow DME until yours arrives.
        Yeah. I have been using a "hospital" style chair since my A4 broke. Unfortunately, it is much larger than me and my home's door frames.
        There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Comment

I feel for you Essie. I hope the concussion is better now. I can't remember your situation well, but if you are a full-time user without a backup beyond a depot chair, I would do whatever you can to get a decent temporary and later backup chair. Have you posted a "wanted" in the Equipment & Services forum? You might be surprised with what comes up. Be sure to post a link on this thread, because I think it get's read more.These situations should just not happen...

p.s. my husband broke his femur 3 months ago because of delays and a bad fall, so I do take your situation as beyond venting and frustration.
          Last edited by elarson; 14 Feb 2013, 7:36 PM. Reason: added p.s.
          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
            I feel for you Essie. I hope the concussion is better now. I can't remember your situation well, but if you are a full-time user without a backup beyond a depot chair, I would do whatever you can to get a decent temporary and later backup chair. Have you posted a "wanted" in the Equipment & Services forum? You might be surprised with what comes up. Be sure to post a link on this thread, because I think it get's read more.These situations should just not happen...

p.s. my husband broke his femur 3 months ago because of delays and a bad fall, so I do take your situation as beyond venting and frustration.
            Thanks. I am a full time user and I have no one to blame but myself for not having a back up (my back up was destroyed in a uhaul moving incident several years back). With that said, I have never had to wait longer than a few weeks for the DME to send the paperwork to the insurance. I do not quite understand the DMEs rationale here. I would think they would want the business. Oh well. I did post a "needed" post on the other forum.

E

Comment

Where are you in the U.S.?

Comment

Essie,
                Please post the name of your DME in the Sticky "DME Reviews..." Perhaps it will warn others away. I learned a long time ago that if you put the fear of God in the DMEs and other service providers you get better service. These days I make them aware upfront that I will be posting my experience with other people with similar need in Forums and social networks on the Internet and with local peers and professionals, for better or for worse. I do the same with company reps. They are starting to understand the impact of social media on their business and the cost of something going viral. I think this is a tactic every CC member should use. Do it upfront. Do not wait until you have a problem. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And the fact is, sharing the details of your experience can be a real help to others.
                You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                  Where are you in the U.S.?
                  New Hampshire

Comment

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been a para for 19 years and its never a fun experience to order a new chair. This last order was the worst. The guy got the whole order messed up on measurements. The chair wasn't long enought for my 5'8 body. I complained immediately and he decided to order a longer cushion to make up for it. I wasnt pleased with that either so I refused to use the chair. It sat unused in my house for nearly a year while I argued back and forth with the insurance company and the DME. I finally contacted the BBB and all of the sudden the ball started rolling. The had me another chair ordered and delivered QUICKLY! It's time for new tread and I'm not looking forward to dealing with them again. Hope your issue is resolved quickly.
                    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

I admit I haven't much patience for the for the bullshit, and perpetually want to remind providers that they are in a competitive industry and must earn my business. I regret going with the 1st provider who agreed to do my chair and then violated the insurance company rules. Is there any chance you could go to a few providers, and tell them that the first one to get it done gets your business? And I like 55's advice, admit to having done the same thing – telling providers I visit a website for spinal cord injured people and will share my experiences. I tend to frame it more as an incentive than a threat, but any motivation you can provide…

And I like the BBB idea.

Comment

Sometimes it's a hell of a lot less work to just buy a chair off ebay and be done with it. That's what I do. I got the chair I'm using now (a tilite aero X) and could not be more happy, not the most solid chair, but it's comfortable and seems to be holding up well, got it last summer off ebay from Ti as a demo for 500 bucks.
                        "Life is about how you
                        respond to not only the
                        challenges you're dealt but
                        the challenges you seek...If
                        you have no goals, no
                        mountains to climb, your
                        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Getting a wheelchair is an absolute joke. Most distributors in the USA are ran by a company called UNITED SEATING AND MOBILITY. They seem to be buying all the small shops that used better insurance policies. It took my company 8 months. The original invoice to me was supposed to cost 4200 for a quickie Q7. My company which is now owned by US and M, added parts that were not covered by my insurance and parts that were redundant to the chair. They had ordered two different backrests. A Roho jetstream and a cloth back. I did end up paying out of pocket because I had a DME limit on my insurance policy. But to get anywhere with these people you must go above the head of the salesman that had fitted you with the therapist. Be sure to know exactly what you are getting. A friend of mine was given a Quickie 2 which weighs over 30 pounds fully assembled, and was a folding chair. You literally have to stay on these people like flies on shit. There purpose is to find a reason why you don't need an ultra light weight chair. I also recommend doing as much research to find places that sell replacement parts. To go back to the distributor you will most likely have to set up an appointment and wait for there terms once again. I have had my wheelchair for a little over 2 years. I have replaced a set of tires and I have gone through 6 inner tubes. I have also broken the plastic undermount brake. Even with part numbers in hand they will not help you without an appointment. http://www.southwestmedical.com will sell replacement parts online. For tires and tubes get good with a local bike shop.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsov03 View Post
                            Getting a wheelchair is an absolute joke. Most distributors in the USA are ran by a company called UNITED SEATING AND MOBILITY. They seem to be buying all the small shops that used better insurance policies. It took my company 8 months. The original invoice to me was supposed to cost 4200 for a quickie Q7. My company which is now owned by US and M, added parts that were not covered by my insurance and parts that were redundant to the chair. They had ordered two different backrests. A Roho jetstream and a cloth back. I did end up paying out of pocket because I had a DME limit on my insurance policy. But to get anywhere with these people you must go above the head of the salesman that had fitted you with the therapist. Be sure to know exactly what you are getting. A friend of mine was given a Quickie 2 which weighs over 30 pounds fully assembled, and was a folding chair. You literally have to stay on these people like flies on shit. There purpose is to find a reason why you don't need an ultra light weight chair. I also recommend doing as much research to find places that sell replacement parts. To go back to the distributor you will most likely have to set up an appointment and wait for there terms once again. I have had my wheelchair for a little over 2 years. I have replaced a set of tires and I have gone through 6 inner tubes. I have also broken the plastic undermount brake. Even with part numbers in hand they will not help you without an appointment. http://www.southwestmedical.com will sell replacement parts online. For tires and tubes get good with a local bike shop.
                            It kills me. I spent months doing their paperwork for them (figuring out all the needed codes). Chasing down doctors and therapists to sign the correct forms. Waiting and waiting for demo equipment (cushions and backs)that they never even bothered to try to get (although they told me they would). The entire time they continuously told me insurance would likely not cover the chair that would best suite my needs and they kept trying to push me into a TiLite. Nothing against TiLite; they just do not have what would suite me best.

The straw that broke the camel's back was they told me they sent my stuff to insurance and a few days later told me insurance needed me to gather more information. When I asked for clarification on exactly what they needed, so the PT would know what to write, they were vague and then non responsive. Finally, I called the insurance company and after being shuffled to various departments and talking to multiple people, it turns out they never submitted anything!!

E

Comment

((()))
                              Chas
                              TiLite TR3
                              Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                              I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                              <
                              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                              X