Going back to long tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axle View Post
    In general, regardless of whose chair we are talking about, you don't want your front casters to fall into holes or strike tall bumps. Sometimes you don't see these holes or bumps until you are upon them. Response time is key. I would not want to compromise even the smallest response time. I think the surge would compromise response time.

Here is an every day example. Just going down my driveway, here are all the transitions that are obstacles for front casters.

driveway to sidewalk
    sidewalk to curb
    curb to gutter
    gutter to road

Going from 4" to 5" casters or going from a 14" to 16" wheelbase doesn't overcome these obstacles. The best option may be a wheelie. I am certain that surge will compromise wheelie control. It's just a question of how much. I am interested in hearing your experience.
    Going from a 14" to 16" wheelbase does reduce the torque required to power up and over these obstacles. Because there is more friction and less slippage, Surge handrims will probably help just about anyone with ascending these obstacles. Any differences on the descent would be negligible. When considering RSI risk, the Surge would be the better choice in these situations fr almost everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
      Going from a 14" to 16" wheelbase does reduce the torque required to power up and over these obstacles. Because there is more friction and less slippage, Surge handrims will probably help just about anyone with ascending these obstacles. Any differences on the descent would be negligible. When considering RSI risk, the Surge would be the better choice in these situations fr almost everyone.
      Interesting. I am always interested in hearing a well thought out opinion, like yours SCI_OTR.

Comment

I hear you. No doubt that a longer wheelbase is more forgiving. But we are talking about different situations. You are showing a 4" curb that is meant to be there and should be no surprise to the rider, whereas I am showing a 1" bump that is not intended to be there and may surprise the rider. It is this element of surprise that greatly increases an endo risk regardless. The only ways to avoid this risk is to have large pneumatic tires or wheelie the front caster over the bump. At slow speed the surge would help. But at higher speeds, I would want to grab the entire handrail with my entire hand, palm and thumb included. Can't do that at higher speeds with the surge.

I agree that the ergonomics and the additional friction of surge are beneficial under many conditions. But fast speed into a wheelie is not one of them. I know this is a very specific condition. But I do it often. It still gives me a thrill and I won't give that up, at least not today.
        Last edited by Axle; 11 Feb 2013, 9:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X