Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZRA series 2 problems

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    ZRA series 2 problems

    So when I'm pushing up ramps my chair wants to tip back and forth on its tip bars. My cog is all the way back. So I have no idea how to fix this. I can take a pic of the chair if that helps. Any ideas how to fix this? Also my feet will not stay on the footrest
    Last edited by Southpaw; 2 Feb 2013, 7:49 PM.

    #2
    Originally posted by BTB View Post
    So when I'm pushing up ramps my chair wants to tip back and forth on its tip bars. My cog is all the way back. So I have no idea how to fix this. I can take a pic of the chair if that helps. Any ideas how to fix this? Also my feet will not stay on the footrest
    Couple of things that might affect the tippiness. How does your backrest angle feel? Does your backrest height feel about right?


    As far as your feet not staying on the footrest, check your footrest angle. Also, have you tried a calf strap? Not like behind your legs but hooked around your feet to keep them in?

    WG

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
      Couple of things that might affect the tippiness. How does your backrest angle feel? Does your backrest height feel about right?


      As far as your feet not staying on the footrest, check your footrest angle. Also, have you tried a calf strap? Not like behind your legs but hooked around your feet to keep them in?

      WG
      Yeah, I had my backrest angle at about 90 degrees but leaned it back some because it wasn't comfortable. I also read on here most people don't sit in their chairs straight up and usually lean a little. But it's not only ramps that my chair pops up. Anytime I push the chair the casters pop up off the ground. Should I set my backrest back to 90 degrees? It wasn't comfortable and hard to have good trunk control. I've had this ZRA for 2 years and can't seem to get it adjusted correctly, even after seeing multiple seating clinicians and DME guys

      Comment


        #4
        SCI_OTR is the one to go with.
        Last edited by voxina; 3 Feb 2013, 3:24 AM.
        Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

        Comment


          #5
          Post a pic. Ideally with you in it.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
            Post a pic. Ideally with you in it.
            here we go. my posture is also terrible. any ideas on how to work on it?

            Comment


              #7
              You appear to have a fairly long trunk, sit with significant posterior pelvic tilt, and lack enough support from the back to keep yourself from "spilling over the top". I'm actually surprised your casters don't come off the ground whenever you push.

              The eventual answer will probably be to increase your seat dump to improve your pelvic stability so you can get your back angle more upright. Right now, your effective back angle is at least 105 degrees.

              A couple of questions that would be helpful.

              How tall are you?

              What type of back are you using?

              A better pic from behind could be useful.

              Comment


                #8
                double post

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                  How tall are you?

                  What type of back are you using?
                  /forum/showthread.php?t=215038
                  Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

                  I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                    You appear to have a fairly long trunk, sit with significant posterior pelvic tilt, and lack enough support from the back to keep yourself from "spilling over the top". I'm actually surprised your casters don't come off the ground whenever you push.

                    The eventual answer will probably be to increase your seat dump to improve your pelvic stability so you can get your back angle more upright. Right now, your effective back angle is at least 105 degrees.

                    A couple of questions that would be helpful.

                    How tall are you?

                    What type of back are you using?

                    A better pic from behind could be useful.
                    I'm 6 ft. I have a acta-back by comfort company

                    Comment


                      #11
                      In addition to what I've posted previously, I think -scott-'s post in your other thread may be relevant. A clear pic from behind would definitely help.

                      (tomorrow that is)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I assumed you meant pictures of just the chair. How much seat dump would be best for me? How do I measure putting the back rest at 105 degrees? If you need more pictures of me in the chair it will be no problem. I'm not sure what posterior pelvic tilt means.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Your seating posture does look very reclined, so it's not surprising that your chair is lifting up so easily. Having such a reclined posture not only makes the chair overly light in the front, it sucks the power from your push stroke making for a very inefficient ride.

                          My first impression is that your seat dump looks to be on the shallow side. What are your current front and rear seat height measurements? Have you ever tried more dump? I think if you lowered you rear seat height (can you lower the casters, which raises the front seat height?), brought the seat angle closer to horizontal, and relaxed your calf strap so that you can tuck your feet under more, you would feel more stable.
                          stephen@bike-on.com

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by BTB View Post
                            I've had this ZRA for 2 years and can't seem to get it adjusted correctly, even after seeing multiple seating clinicians and DME guys
                            Hey man. The fact that the seating clinics have not helped you astounds me. I've never seen anyone your injury level running without at least 3 inches of dump. Looks like you've got some work cut out for yourself. Start by getting friendly with the ZRa2 User Manual - http://tilite.com/assets/pdf/Z2_Supp_0211Rev%20B.pdf

                            I started with a ZRa, great starter chair because of its adjustability.

                            Start by dumping the rear seat height - pg.4-2 of that manual. Looks like you'll want to go all the way, as far down as the rear will go.

                            Bad news is this will affect every other thing on the chair. Good news is the ZRa2 is really user-friendly when it comes to making adjustments but it will be incredibly time consuming and frustrating at times. Like I told you about rugby - baby steps, nothing is going to feel perfect overnight.

                            After dumping it out completely (I'm talking sitting on the axle) adjust your brakes and anti-tippers if necessary. Safety first!

                            And now the chair is going to be extra tippy because of the current backrest angle. I wouldn't even get in it. Get the backrest angle adjusted up to within 5-6 degrees of 90 (perpendicular to the floor). The dump you put in the chair will hold you in more stable than the current reclined backrest.

                            The dump adjustment is going to mess with the front wheel caster angle. see pg.5-4 for this adjustment procedure. If you don't adjust this your front wheels will speed wobble.

                            Now footplate. You say your feet keep falling off. because you have a calf strap I'll assume they are slipping off the front? If so angle that puppy back by loosening the counter-sunk allen screws on the top of the footplate. Clean out the allen key holes in the screws so that the allen key can go in all the way. If not you could strip them. Angle the heel (back) end down and re-tighten the screws.

                            Try it. Tweak it. Respect the fact you have the best, easiest to work on adjustable chair on the market. Soon you'll want to increase your center-of-gravity to make bumping your front wheels over stuff easier. Running a tippy chair is also easier to push because not so much of your weight is over the front wheels.

                            Again, like I told you about rugby, take it easy on yourself. Try to make this a fun project with your homies. You be the brains, let them be the brawn. Seriously man, once you get this thing dialled in the world will seem to open up. For me it was a huge confidence boost, the more you know the better you feel. And fuck letting any PT/OT/DME touch your chair again, the large majority could give a fuck less because they only want to sell you another one.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Great detailed advice from Tooley.

                              Below is a photo (from Facebook) of Josh Anderson, a VP at TiLite. He's 6' 5", a low quad, and as you can see he's got a lot of dump in his chair. According to a recent FB post, his TR3 is setup with: FSH – 19.5"; RSH – 15". Chances are your dump should be in the 4" ballpark.


                              stephen@bike-on.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X