No announcement yet.

.Permobil C500 w/ESP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forestranger, any word on fixing or replacing your Permobil yet? Please keep us posted. Thanks!

Comment

Almost 3 weeks since the chair went dead, I know almost nothing. I do know that my local Permobil rep wants nothing to do with repairing this lemon after multible trips to my home fixing one thing after another. I believe that the cable from the controller is the bad one as it is gets the most abuse and wish that they would at least send me one to put in. Who knows but is extremely conserning.

This is begining to affect my health as I am forced to use a old wheelchair that was not ordered correctly in the first place. Just by leaning forward and giving this Frontier X-5 a little jerk, I can throw it off it's wheels and it scares the shit out of me. We moved the seat assembly as far back as possible but stopping can be deadly serious.
      C 5/6 Comp.
      No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

i am very sad for you. We had a Permobil out of Sweden, and it was good. You should not have to go through this. Wishing you all the best.
        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

forestranger,
          I feel your pain! Is the Permobil rep going to call it a Lemon and replace it? Sure hope they don't jerk you around for over 2 years like my DME provider & Permobil did with me.

I've been told by a Permobil tech that using the retractable joystick is a big cause of the breaks in these wimpy joystick cables. Do you have the retractable one or the swing away? I have the swing away, so I think it's a little less of a problem with that one, although it still sucks that they cheaped out on the quality of the cables.

My DME tech said the current cable technology is a "dual system" which means if one wire breaks in the cable, there's a 2nd backup wire in there that should keep it working. But you'd still get the bad cable error. Although that doesn't sound like the problem in your case if your chair is completely dead.

Wishing the best for you and hope you can stay safe with your current crappy chair.

Comment

Originally posted by forestranger52 View Post
            Almost 3 weeks since the chair went dead, I know almost nothing. I do know that my local Permobil rep wants nothing to do with repairing this lemon after multible trips to my home fixing one thing after another. I believe that the cable from the controller is the bad one as it is gets the most abuse and wish that they would at least send me one to put in. Who knows but is extremely conserning.

This is begining to affect my health as I am forced to use a old wheelchair that was not ordered correctly in the first place. Just by leaning forward and giving this Frontier X-5 a little jerk, I can throw it off it's wheels and it scares the shit out of me. We moved the seat assembly as far back as possible but stopping can be deadly serious.
            holy crap man, if the VA supplied this chair to me, and wouldn't get the company to fix it, I'd be writing my Congressman.

I bet fellow CareCure member and PVA representative POPO367 (Enrique) would know what to do in this situation. Shoot him a PM.
            get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

I have a very good OT in my corner so not as scared as I should be. If I was Permobil I'd be worried because theres been most a thousand hits on this thread so people are thinking. Starting to have trouble with butt presure because of poor positioning in old chair. Really need to switch back soon. Do have swing back joystick.
              C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Received very good news yesterday that my wheelchair is to be replaced, It's official. Doubt it could have happened this quickly without the tremendous help of the Cleveland VA OT and CureCare. Can't argue with over 1,000 hits looking for the facts. There is no doubt that folks are making very importand decisions based upon what happens here, on both sides. Thanks Dr. Wise, Permobil and everyone who took the time to read the thread.
                Last edited by forestranger52; 26 Mar 2013, 7:08 PM.
                C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Congrats! great news.

Hopefully have some new wheels to get out in the Spring and Summer weather coming .

Comment

That's very encouraging! :-)

Comment

The VA sent a contractor to fix the cable warning error. Changed cables but was actualy the joystick that failed and stopped chair dead. Used joystick in truck so happpy I can use it until a replacement comes even if I can't go around the block.

Charge powerchair for 24 hours, get in and drive 10 feet, chair flashes one red bar and begins to shut down because of power loss. Great, now chair will not charge. Total electrical failure. Mechanic returning with replacement joystick will attempt to find out charging failure.
                      C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

What a mess. I feel for you, Ranger.
                        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

I got a bad battery charger with my new chair from Permobil a couple of months ago. Permobil replaced it. Could that be part of your problem? Or maybe the battery itself is faulty?

Comment

I'm sure you have checked this, but in case not, there have been many reports of DMEs replacing the standard MK group 24s with knock-off brands prone to failure. (I assume this has been checked already though and is likely not the problem, but I thought I would throw that out there).
                            Last edited by xsfxsf; 6 Apr 2013, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks, fortunately they are the real things. Mechanic here Friday and replaced faulty Joystick and first cable with new. Examined batteries, changed charger and placed C500 on charge. 17 hours later removed charger and scale said fully charged, 2 hours later, power failure.

I really want to use this chair as it's very comfortable and protects the skin on my butt because I can change so many positions. My X-5 is starting skin problems on butt because my feet are on too narrow of a footplate.

Can not wait until replacement is delivered. 13 days and counting since decision.
                              C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Hi Forestranger my name is Joe, I'm new to this site and I been waiting to get my new Permobil C500 VS. for 3 months.

I came across your page from googleing the C500 and I hope you get this resolved!! Like you I live in rough country, I'm about 1 hour north of MPLS. Minnesota.. My OT & Doctor recommended the chair and said it would handle the terrain where I live.. keeping fingers crossed..

Good luck with your chair, talk with you soon.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X