Buy A Car (Paraplegic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy A Car (Paraplegic)

I am a paraplegic and use a wheelchair and I need a little help on what car you like best/use/know someone that uses?

I currently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee but my parents are no helping me in learning to drive again because the don't think I can transfer to that height, so I am hoping for a 4 door car but will consider a 2 door as well.
    2000 or newer.

Also I heard in the hospital that I would have to re-take the driving test (I didn't have my license taken away though) since I would be using hand controls, but when I look at the Oregon DMV website it says nothing about it....so do I or not?

Originally posted by Para-Horse-Girl View Post
    Also I heard in the hospital that I would have to re-take the driving test (I didn't have my license taken away though) since I would be using hand controls, but when I look at the Oregon DMV website it says nothing about it....so do I or not?
    This varies by the state. CA does not require it, but we do recommend it because it validates your competence as a hand control driver, something that may be valuable if you should have an accident in the future.

Did you go to RIO??

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      This varies by the state. CA does not require it, but we do recommend it because it validates your competence as a hand control driver, something that may be valuable if you should have an accident in the future.

Did you go to RIO??

(KLD)

I went to Emanuel

Comment

I have a Mini-Cooper, it is a great car for a para. Easy to get into, plenty of room for your chair in the passenger seat and it is loads of fun.

Comment

I drive a 2007 Ford Fusion. Considering upgrading in a few months to 2013. Been a great vehicle and easy to transfer in and out of. Also has a very large trunk.

-ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Comment

When my wife went in to renew her license (Oregon) a couple of years after she was injured, they issued her one at the DMV. But then a week or 2 later, in the mail came a notice that it was invalidated, and she would have to take the test again.
            She wasn't either able or planning to drive anyway (pain meds, etc.), but it would have been only common courtesy to tell her while she was at their office. Instead we had to go in again, where she got an ID card instead of a driving license.
            So I haven't looked to see whether or not the manual says it, but it seems that Oregon requires a retest.
            - Richard

Comment

I have the Toyota Venza. Easy to get in to for me and I have plenty of room in the cargo area for when I have passengers. My chair fits back there with out taking it apart. I get about 23 mpg for the V6. Plenty of power and spacious. We have even camped out in the back of it just to say we did it....I'm really enjoying this car. Hope you find one that you like as well.
              DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

I had to get retested in Washington, parallel parking, backing around a corner, the whole bit. Now there is a restriction for a hand control on my license.

As for cars, look at a Mini Cooper. I saw one at Car Max and was impressed at how wide the door opened. It looked quite accessible as others are saying.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I am in process of attempting regaining my license. It was indefinately suspended. Have not driven in 10+ years. PA requires taking test as well as 20 hours training with the hand controls. I have had seizures, which complicates neurologically. Place I talked to about selling/installing controls actually is the place that will take me to PA DOT Driving Center for test. I am pretty sure in their vehicle which sounds correct. I think you need to pass everything until they would install them. All that sounds correct from a legal standpoint.

Comment

Yes, Mini pretty cool. I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler sitting in my garage. Lifted and monster tires I bought as a 2nd vehicle before my accident. It only has 9k miles on it but manual transmission. Still not sure what to do with it.

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                    I have a Mini-Cooper, it is a great car for a para. Easy to get into, plenty of room for your chair in the passenger seat and it is loads of fun.

Comment

i have a saturn ion quad coupe. you can only get these used but they are well worth it! the suicide door really is great and i stow the chair in the backseat.
                      "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                      http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

I have a VW GTI (Golf). Plenty of room and the doors are huge.

Comment

back in 1978, I looked at mostly two door cars since the door was longer and provided more space to load/unload
                          but i went with vans in the long run since the process is easier

good luck
                          We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                          Ronald Reagan

Comment

If you can transfer on a horse you should be able to make it in the Jeep! I haven't thought the height to be the issue, it's getting the chair in then too. If you're going to get in the vehicle a lot through work/school you should try several and see what you can live with.

I've had a lot of different cars over the years and they are all fairly the same for transfers to me. I have a 1999 Grand Prix now which has been an excellent car (220k miles), could be better for MPG if you make long trips. And I have a Corvette for a fun car, no problem with transfers.
                            Andrew

Comment

I still drive my one ton Dodge crew cab work truck. I get in on the passenger side by sitting on the floor, which is the same hight as my chair. From there I take off the wheels and put them over my head on to the seat. Them with one hand on the seat and my elbow on the dash I pull myself up on to the seat. Then I put the wheels into the back seat and reach down and grab my chair and pull it up next to me. I have a cane to reach over to the door to close it. Piece of cake. And yes I live in Oregon as well, and you are supposed to go take a test with a hand control vehicle and if you pass, you get an R restriction on the back of your license. This is not a new drivers license test, it is only a test to prove that you can drive with hand controls. My small town DMV did not have this test, so you may have to drive to a bigger city. Just call the DMV and they will set you up with the test. Good luck my fellow Oregonian
                              Last edited by flying; 18 Dec 2012, 12:26 PM.
                              T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

Working...
                              X