Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Specs for a ZRA2 with flip-up footrests (DU 100082)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some initial photo's

We received the TiLite ZRA a few days ago, but we needed to do some reconfiguration before taking pictures. We swapped out most of the parts we bought separately, but still have a few more to do.

Overall, we are really pleased with DU100082 for the Flip-up Footrests. These were really challenging to spec, especially the rigidizer bar, but the results work well and Rob is able to foot propel and use the footrests comfortably -- yippee!

Finally, we have a few pictures to post (if you click on them you can see the larger image). When we get everything on, I'll take some more pictures and post to the CAD repository.

We made a template for the ADI carbon fiber fold-down side guards so we can have them custom fit along with the ADI carbon fiber base. I'm not sure I did this right, especially the Side Guard Stop, because ADI did not provide much information about what is possible. We wanted to make sure the side guards can fold down with the seat back on.

We wanted to jazz up the ADI back a little, because Rob is known for his “statements”. I used GBC Peel’n Stick Laminating Pouches, which are removable (I tested first). We hope to make more with designs depending on the situation or his mood, but these were our first tests. Stay tuned….

Update: After staying up way too late playing with other ideas (Rob nixed the flaming Superman), I can see where we will have a lot of fun with this. I need to get the measurements and resolution right from the beginning, and definitely a better camera to photograph them, but here is another test. We are going to need to invest in a lot more laminator pockets too -- luckily you can remove and reattach them:

Last edited by elarson; 19 Mar 2013, 8:34 PM. Reason: Added flames and got nixed on them!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Awesome!
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

NICE!! And what a smile
        Chas
        TiLite TR3
        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
        <
        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah, he does seem to really like it. He was not really wanting to be a part of the process for a long time (see this post). But over time, everything has changed, and he seems to really be into it now.

I think it helped a lot that we had a fun weekend re-configuring it with his father helping, who was really into the technology. He also helped me to order tools we need, like a high pressure compressor. Searching and researching stuff in another language really has it challenges. Even with his father's help it took us 2-3 hours to find Loctite "schroefdraadborg".

I think also doing the personalisation with the ADI back images got him into it more. He even has idea's for a name for the chair, which is great, because all major appliances, cars, etc. get named in our home, and none of the other 4 chairs ever got names.

The caster wings, or whatever you call them on a ZRA, really stick out far more than they did on the 2GX. This is taking time to get use to for both of us. The change in attitude is so great, that tonight he had somehow got wedged horizontally between the door frame and did not get angry. The good news was that he was expanding his "horizons", and I mean that literally, because there is also a good 5-6" ramp on that doorway. The best thing about it all is that we laughed together while trying to figure out how to get him un-wedged.

Nobody wants to use a wheelchair, but if you need to use a wheelchair, you might as well make it fun, and do it right! So far, we couldn't be more pleased.
          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Fantastic news. I'm so glad that things are working out and he looks so happy in the pictures. Seems like the journey was worth it. Keep smiling!

Comment

Thanks Melissa (And Ruby). You sure went through your own challenges, and our's seem minor compared.

Maybe you saw this on our blog, but I think this video says it all for all of the Superhero's out there, like you (try to listen long enough for the good bits).

After all, it is the end result that counts, regardless of all of our challenges. Thanks for all of your support all of these months.

Originally posted by Melissa And Ruby View Post
              Fantastic news. I'm so glad that things are working out and he looks so happy in the pictures. Seems like the journey was worth it. Keep smiling!

Comment

I like it. Because of the flip up foot rests and width at feet, this is the first rigid Tilite I'd love to try out. Rob looks satisfied.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Ha! Ha! Ha! Not been around here a while, but reading post and viewing pictures had me cracking smile and laughing. It sounds like you both like the chair. I was surprised to see front wheels and mounting. Is that pretty much because of the 360 degree rotation of wheel and all the other mounting factors?
                  Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 20 Mar 2013, 4:28 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
                    ... Nobody wants to use a wheelchair, but if you need to use a wheelchair, you might as well make it fun, and do it right! ...
                    Isn't that the truth!

Comment

Also some new tools

We also ordered some new tools, so "chair repair woman" is happy too.

We ordered an Einhell BT-AC 240 air compressor that took many, many hours of searching for online. We could not manage to find any smaller ones that were 230 V AC and did 10 bar/150 psi, like the Campbell Hausfeld mentioned in other posts. We did not want one that was 12 volt DC or worked off of only a rechargeable battery, because the last battery charged one we had lasted less than 1.5 years before the battery was gone.

Unfortunately, after the compressor arrived today I realized what a monster it is, and that it was going to be totally unworkable for me — I would definitely be blowing up tires, pets, etc. So I am returning it for a more modest size compressor, even if it’s not exactly what we want.

We also needed some SAE (US sized) wrenches and stronger hex keys and some Loctite and cleaner. I think we are all set now for home repairs. Just in case any of you are wondering why we are needing all this stuff, it's because we have had very bad experiences waiting for chair repairs done by others. One time it took 81 days and resulted in a fall and concussion and the other time 50 days and resulted in a broken femur. Way better to be prepared and as independent as possible.

Comment

I have bought a Black & Decker ASI 500 air compressor and it works well, it weights 2 kg.

My TR3

Comment

Congratulations about the new chair, i'm glad that everything went well. The chair looks good.
                          About the air compressor see this ones you have many choices
                          http://www.nuair.it/portal/index.php...5&lang=english

Comment

Originally posted by maxrodas View Post
                            Congratulations about the new chair, i'm glad that everything went well. The chair looks good.
                            About the air compressor see this ones you have many choices
                            http://www.nuair.it/portal/index.php...5&lang=english
                            These compressors do not provide high pressure: only 8 bars, not enough for high pressure tires.
                            My TR3

Comment

And some more pictures of just the chair

Comment

Just advice - be careful with each placement of cushion onto frame. It is very close to wheels. Cushion will wear some with use as well as the cover. This could result in rubbing against tire and 1 will wear a hole in cver if you are not aware and 2 the friction created with something like this can make it more difficult to propel. Do you have any kind of silid piece inside the cover dor firmness? This makes cover a bit "slippy" based on if anything inside to hold all things in place.

Comment

Working...
                                X