Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New TR3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I believe the standard depth of a TiLite footplate is 6". I don't use a calf strap and keep my legs more tucked under the chair than you do -- my toes extend only slightly, if at all, forward of the front edge of the footplate. I special ordered my ZR2 with a 7" depth footplate and set parallel to the ground, not angled back. I might have even preferred an 8" depth.

    /forum/showpost.php?p=1405622&postcount=14
    stephen@bike-on.com

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by ala View Post



      Judging from your picture, I would say that your seat-to-footrest length, with that cushion, is too great. You need to raise your footrest so that there is more weight on your feet. This will help keep your feet/legs from slipping off.

      .
      I agree, but the way he has his feet on the footplate dosen`t help either to keep his feet in place, they are too out.

      Look the difference with mines, and mines never tends to fall out of footplate unless in radical situations.

      Comment


        #18
        Thanks Ala, the picture may be misleading because there is weight on my feet.
        Plus I cannot adjust my footrest higher because I'm a table tennis player and my knees would not fit under most tables, on some rare tables I must take off my shoes playing in socks!

        Joker's footplate is 4.5" and made of carbon without any anti-skid pads, so TR's footplate 6" with anti-skid pads should definitely improve my feet adherence.

        Stephen, I don't like my feet to be tucked under the chair, it causes spasms in my legs probably because blood flow is not that great in the ankles. So for me, getting a deeper footplate would mean increasing the seat depth. I would not want to end up with a chair too long, I need to think more about it.
        My TR3

        Comment


          #19
          At 6'2" I found 25" wheels to be a big plus for me in reaching my wheels, plus I seem to get much more from them. As for transfers Stephen, it can be an issue if one slides over, such as I do, because the wheel is that much more forward to clear; but it didn't take much to get used to it.
          C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

          Comment


            #20
            I took my calculator and if I increase frame depth by 2'' and use 25" wheels, new chair will be 1.25" longer than current one.
            I can accommodate this change.
            It could be even less because I was a bit conservative about the COG that I set to 2.25 but it's closer to 2.75 on my chair.

            Stephen, how did you order custom footplate depth?
            I could not find it in order form options.

            My current footplate is 15/16 inch thick (tube + plate), how thick is TR's footrest?
            My TR3

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Big View Post
              T
              Stephen, I don't like my feet to be tucked under the chair, it causes spasms in my legs probably because blood flow is not that great in the ankles. So for me, getting a deeper footplate would mean increasing the seat depth. I would not want to end up with a chair too long, I need to think more about it.
              You may not need or want a deeper footplate. Regardless, it doesn't follow that a deeper a footrest requires greater seat depth; one is completely independent of the other.


              Originally posted by Big View Post

              Stephen, how did you order custom footplate depth?
              I could not find it in order form options.

              My current footplate is 15/16 inch thick (tube + plate), how thick is TR's footrest?
              See the Notes section at the bottom of the order form; it's where you can request custom specs, which may or may not incur an upcharge.

              The tube diameter on the ZR footplate is .75". I'm sure it's the same on the TR.
              stephen@bike-on.com

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Big View Post
                ... Regarding efficient push, I must admit that I use both rims and wheels; for this chair I want to have Surge rims to push only on rim, so 25" wheels may help too.
                Also mostly push both rim and tire, 25"wheels/Surge LTs/average-plus hands here. My LTs on short tabs give a PERFECT spread for working both rim and tire. The other side of this equation is the LT might be a little too (top-to-bottom) narrow, the short tabs a little too close to the spokes for continuous rim-only pushing – where the full-size rim on long tabs would be a better fit.

                Just FYI – as once a tire grabber maybe always a Tire Grabber. ;]

                Comment


                  #23


                  I tried Natural Fit LT and felt they were little too small for me, I like the Surge design, so I was going for the normal Surge not LT.

                  According to this guide my hand width is 9 and length is 8 1/16 inches.

                  I would prefer short tabs to avoid too wide chair.
                  My TR3

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Big View Post


                    I tried Natural Fit LT and felt they were little too small for me, I like the Surge design, so I was going for the normal Surge not LT.

                    According to this guide my hand width is 9 and length is 8 1/16 inches.

                    I would prefer short tabs to avoid too wide chair.
                    My preference is for long tabs. With short tabs I found that my fingers -- my thumb mostly, I recall -- would sometimes jam between the push rim and the wheel.
                    stephen@bike-on.com

                    Comment


                      #25
                      I just found on order form that if I increase frame depth to 20" I should pay $475, that's not cool, can I ask for 19.5" ?
                      My TR3

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Big View Post
                        I just found on order form that if I increase frame depth to 20" I should pay $475, that's not cool, can I ask for 19.5" ?
                        Yes....
                        C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                          Yes....
                          While I'm quite certain that TiLite does build frames in half-inch increments, I believe that, too, will result in upcharges, though I don't know how steep.
                          stephen@bike-on.com

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                            While I'm quite certain that TiLite does build frames in half-inch increments, I believe that, too, will result in upcharges, though I don't know how steep.
                            I ordered my TR3 with +3/4" with no charge, they simply asked to verify.
                            C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                              I ordered my TR3 with +3/4" with no charge, they simply asked to verify.
                              I remember having a conversation with TiLite about "in between" measurements at the time I was ordering my ZR2 and was told that they can do them but that it requires special tooling and, so, cost more. It struck me as silly, but what do I know. If they've subsequently waived additional charges for ordering "in between" measurements then that's a very good thing. But if this is truly the case, why not reflect it on the order forms?
                              stephen@bike-on.com

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Big View Post
                                I tried Natural Fit LT and felt they were little too small for me, I like the Surge design, so I was going for the normal Surge not LT.

                                According to this guide my hand width is 9 and length is 8 1/16 inches.

                                I would prefer short tabs to avoid too wide chair.
                                Check, same hand size and short tabs/ for certain doorways.

                                A thought: I'm 6'2", 180# riding a 16.5RSH/19 FSH/16W//2"cushion and find the ride not the least bit tippy BUT ...
                                ... might your narrow, 6'4", 240#, considerably higher and heavier COM set on a 1/2" higher 17RSH/19.5FSH/16W/ platform topped by a taller cushion result in a possibly too tippy TR3?

                                I have NO idea. Just posing the question. Maybe a resident expert will chime in.

                                PS – when you finish your prep, you're going to have a killer chair!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X