Carbon fiber seat base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon fiber seat base

So I saw somewhere online a place selling carbon fiber seat bases so I decided to make my own for much cheaper here are some pictures let me no what you think

Really nice, it`s CF 100%?, looks like inside is fiber glass.

Comment

It's part carbon fiber part fiberglass I think he said about 3 or 4 layers of carbon

Comment

Originally posted by Jeramie630 View Post
        It's part carbon fiber part fiberglass I think he said about 3 or 4 layers of carbon
        Well, that is why is much cheaper the same size of cloth in CF would cost 3-4 times more.
        Anyway looks like CF, so nobody is going to know about differences, only me look at that things, sorry .

Comment

You did a nice job. Like the reflection of the x-mas lights.
          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
            Well, that is why is much cheaper the same size of cloth in CF would cost 3-4 times more.
            Anyway looks like CF, so nobody is going to know about differences, only me look at that things, sorry .
            Ya havering it not fully carbon fiber makes it cheaper but even if I had it all carbon fiber it's doesn't cost that much more mostly time . If this one works out ill try a fully carbon fiber one next

Comment

Ya havering it not fully carbon fiber makes it cheaper but even if I had it all carbon fiber it's doesn't cost that much more mostly time . If this one works out ill try a fully carbon fiber one next
              You could try carbon fiber birch core the next time, are cheaper, good and lighter.
              http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/pro...pID=530&cID=31
              With this thick you will not need the strips you have under your seat pan.

Comment

You could try carbon fiber birch core the next time, are cheaper, good and lighter.
                http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/pro...pID=530&cID=31
                With this thick you will not need the strips you have under your seat pan.
                Those aren't strips just little metal tabs I used to mount it

Comment

Those aren't strips just little metal tabs I used to mount it
                  But they cross all the wide of the seat? if they do, you will not need them in a CF or a birch core seat pan, you could fix the seat even with velcro to the frame tubing seat.

Comment

T6 Aluminum is cheaper, has more than enough strength for the application and doesn't degrade when exposed to sunlight.

Comment

But they cross all the wide of the seat? if they do, you will not need them in a CF or a birch core seat pan, you could fix the seat even with velcro to the frame tubing seat.
                      No they are only about 2 inches long and I have 3 on each side.

Comment

Originally posted by radio_buddha View Post
                        T6 Aluminum is cheaper, has more than enough strength for the application and doesn't degrade when exposed to sunlight.
                        That's not a bad option I may have to look into trying that also. It doesn't look as cool though not that anyone can see it.

Comment

For someone who is thinking in getting a solid seat pan the first step they have to do is get a seat of playwood, couldn`t be cheaper and you could see if you like it or not, once you are sure you want a solid seat, then spend the money in CF, Kevlar, fiber glass, aluminium sheets, titanium sheets, etc.

You can see in the first pic my first solid seat pan, and the second is in what i`m seating now, both are fixed with velcro.
                          A seat pan will change your position, you will be seating in a higher position, so the FSH and RSH will have to be lower around .5"

Comment

Great job. Makes a nice gift. Funny, I just installed a new seat pan the other day. The velcro works well, you can remove the seat pan without tools.
                            I think toto started a carbon fiber discussion a long time ago.
                            Last edited by SoCalSteve; 30 Nov 2012, 5:09 PM. Reason: incomplete

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSteve View Post
                              Great job. Makes a nice gift. Funny, I just installed a new seat pan the other day. The velcro works well, you can remove the seat pan without tools.
                              I think toto started a carbon fiber discussion a long time ago.
                              Yea, velcro works perfect, i have been with it for years without any problem, and if some day the velcro gets old, just take it out and stick a new strip of velcro, that`s all.

Here is the entire thread
                              Last edited by totoL1; 1 Dec 2012, 6:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X