No announcement yet.

Handcycle recomendation for quad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only bikes I know of that's got quad-friendly brakes are the Bike-on Force R and Sopur RS/RT. Bikes with internal gear hubs (XLT/Shark...) is ok, but a word of warning - you can't go backwards on those.

I see people who mentioned Freedom Ryder, Lasher, Intrepid, Force, Force-2. How are you supposed to do the braking on those?

Comment

[QUOTE=AndersBackman;1612336]Bikes with internal gear hubs (XLT/Shark...) is ok, but a word of warning - you can't go backwards on those.

QUOTE]

yup, thats a huge prob for a quad climbing big hills, gotta be able to ratchet.
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I had planned on braking by pedaling backwards. This bike is for beginners, to just get new people out cycling, so we don't want to get too fancy. And we have a limited budget.

Don't you need a lot of trunk to ride the freedom rider? You lean to steer? It also looks like they don't sell them new, so it would have to be used...

Any tips on how to ship a used bike? I have been talking to some of the people who responded to this post about their cycles for sale, but shipping may be an issue.

Comment

What the frak with these SPAM replies?
          Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Originally posted by dank1 View Post
            I had planned on braking by pedaling backwards. This bike is for beginners, to just get new people out cycling, so we don't want to get too fancy. And we have a limited budget.

Don't you need a lot of trunk to ride the freedom rider? You lean to steer? It also looks like they don't sell them new, so it would have to be used...

Any tips on how to ship a used bike? I have been talking to some of the people who responded to this post about their cycles for sale, but shipping may be an issue.
            The Freedom Ryder non leanster is the FRH ir FRH1A. Yeah the leansteers are still available new. Used bikes are shipped by taking them to a freight forwarder and you either pack them or have them packed by the company shipping.

I feel you're making this much harder than it actually is. Dang, give a budget and perhaps we can give you a more informed answer. There have been numerous threads on this subject thru the years here. Perhaps go thru a few of those, get informed on what you want and those willing can offer their opinions.

The handcycles talked about so far go from 1900(the Intrepid) up to 7 grand for the r.

Comment

Originally posted by dank1 View Post
              Any local bike shop can ship them, most bike shops have regular shipments and are used to working with freight companies.

I used my local bike shop when I had my last handcycle shipped. They dropped it off there while I was at work. The owner of the bike shop will ship stuff out for me too.

Comment

Mark B. is selling an Intrepid handcycle Dank. Would be a great starter handcycle for a para and perhaps a high functioning quad.
                /forum/showthread.php?t=204683

Comment

dank- getting a bike u cant ratchet is not good for a quad, that means they will get stuck on hills.
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                      Mark B. is selling an Intrepid handcycle Dank. Would be a great starter handcycle for a para and perhaps a high functioning quad.
                      https://www.carecure.net/forum/showthread.php?t=204683

Yup, still got the Intrepid for sale.

Also, I have been getting some good feedback about the Chottle, for use with quads and electrical assist.

Comment

Originally posted by borysr View Post
                        i would snap those right off.
                        Bike-on.com rep
                        John@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                        X