X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a younga who likes learning about wheelie history

Thanks for posting

Comment

The only good thing about E&J chairs was the Narrowmatic. As an option they sold a device to partially fold the chair while you were in it, great for getting through those pre ADA bathroom doors. You attached a bracket to seat of chair using existing seat screws, then a separate small crank hooked to the bracket and over the standard padded E&J armrest. You then cranked the crank slowly narrowing the chair until it was as narrow as your hips would tolerate. Once through the door you cranked in opposite direction to restore chair to ordinary width. Without this device I would not have been able to access bathroom in the apt. that my girlfriend (now wife) and I rented in NYC or the bathroom in the house we later rented in North Carolina. Other than the Narrowmatic the E&J chair was just a horrifying lead sled. Thank you Jeff Minnebraker for the Quadra which started it all.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
        My wife decided to try racing as well and bought a used Quadra race chair from a crip that a lot of you have bought chairs from.
        Might his initials be J.B.?

Definitely a very informative and interesting article.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
          Might his initials be J.B.?

Definitely a very informative and interesting article.
          Yup, a role model for all crips.

Comment

At age 41 I bought a used Quadra race chair from JB. When I first sat in it and tried it I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I had been sitting in E & J chairs since age 7. The racer flew practically by itself. My first race was for newbies and about 2 miles. Over the years I bought numerous race chairs, with my all time favorite the Freedom Ryder, and did about 100 races, 13 of them marathons. Back when I got a Quadra everyday chair pushing got so much easier! I'm so glad I got in on the revolution in wheelchairs - the article in New Mobility says it all - E & J had a stranglehold on wheelchairs. So much so that actual rules for competition in a wheelchair were based on measurements of the E & J chair!! At one time your backrest had to be a certain height from the ground. No modifications if you wanted to compete in a sanctioned event. If you applied this thinking to other spheres of technology, what would happen?
            Looking back, it made it very clear to me that one might want to consider 'breaking the mold' in terms of products and one's thoughts and beliefs. And, as is often the case, a battle may ensue.

Comment

Meant to say Freedom Ryder handcycle in my recent post - that was for recreational cycling. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Comment

Working...
              X