25 inch tires are less than 24 inches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 inch tires are less than 24 inches

I don't understand this. What size rims do I have? The tires are PR1MO V TRAK 25 540. These should be fairly new Tilite wheels if that helps. So the question is why would 25 inch tires on what seems to be 24 inch wheels not even measure up to 24?
    Last edited by nonoise; 22 Oct 2012, 11:52 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

You have 24" rims.

"25-540" is in millimeters 25mm =~ 1" inflated width, and 540mm is a standard ETRTO size for America 24" wheelchair wheels. 559mm is the ETRTO standard for 25" American wheelchair wheels and for 26" American Mountain Bike wheels.

The inflated height is not included in ETRTO tire labeling. The American sizing dimension is based on the approximate overall height of the wheel plus inflated tire. Your wheel/tire assembly is about 24" tall.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 23 Oct 2012, 12:09 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Thank you, and thanks for the additional info. As I turn around I see that those 37-540's on the 24 inch rims should have been a big fat clue.
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

The two different systems to describe sizes can be very confusing. For instance, both a 406 and a 459 tire are called 20" in the american system.

If, like me, you do most of your shopping online, you might prefer the ETRTO system because you will get consistent results.

For more information on tires, I highly recommend the late, great Sheldon Brown
        Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Comment

Originally posted by IsMaisin View Post
          For more information on tires, I highly recommend the late, great Sheldon Brown
          For information on pretty much everything. If you own a handcycle you should learn more about it and Shedon's site is a fantastic resource.

Comment

Working...
          X