No announcement yet.

New video of the beta Rowheels in use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New video of the beta Rowheels in use.

This video is from yesterday right after we assembled the first set...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7lq-...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by salamero; 10-12-2012, 11:38 AM.

Very interesting. I'd have to totally rethink how they would change how one would perform many wheelchair skills.

Comment

Everything is opposite.
      Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

Pushing your wheels backwards to move forward? don`t make sense to me.

Comment

Seems very counterintuitive. Looks like you would get some tire rub on the outside of thumb from the pushrim and tire going in opposite directions - would require someone with comeplete hand function - para or amp. I do like the idea of pulling to go up a hill - not having to lean forward to keep from tipping backwards. How about a reversable direction handrim - pushing for flat sufaces and pulling for steeper grades? Just opinions on what i've seen so for, would have too try a pair to come to a conclusion.

Comment

I don't use a manual chair but I have found from experience that humans can easily adapt. I never thought I would be able to use hand controls on a vehicle. For a while after getting hand controls, my first movement for quick reaction was with my feet. Now my first reaction is with my hands and my feet never more or flinch during this type of reaction, such as a quick stop. I believe if someone really wanted to, they could easily adapt to this type of pushrim.

Good luck.
            Millard
            ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by spazdude2011 View Post
              Seems very counterintuitive. Looks like you would get some tire rub on the outside of thumb from the pushrim and tire going in opposite directions
              This does not happen. There's a thumb/finger guard that prevents it.

- would require someone with comeplete hand function - para or amp.
              I have to disagree with you here. I know a few C6/C7 quads who have no problems going up inclines backwards (and in some cases prefer it) because they have much stronger biceps than triceps. Put a Qgrip hand rim on Rowheels they'd have no problems using them.

I do like the idea of pulling to go up a hill - not having to lean forward to keep from tipping backwards. How about a reversable direction handrim - pushing for flat sufaces and pulling for steeper grades? Just opinions on what i've seen so for, would have too try a pair to come to a conclusion.
              There are several benefits to using Rowheels on inclined surfaces. The hill-assist which keeps you from rolling backwards is one. Like you mentioned, decreased risk of tippling back is another. You also get benefits going down hill. The hand rim is turning towards you as you go down which means that when you try to stop, you get pushed back into the seat instead of being yanked forward. Also, the hand rim is turning 31% slower which means it's easier to control with less friction on your hand/palm.

We have a version that allows you to switch between push and "row" but we are trying to make sure that everything works as intended on the current version and then if we are successful in braking into this market, we'll look into incorporating that feature into future versions if we see a demand for it...Baby steps!

Comment

I see it kind of like sailing. When you are use to a tiller you get confused for a few minutes when you switch to a wheel. Once you do both a lot you can adjust quickly.
                Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by salamero View Post
                  This video is from yesterday right after we assembled the first set...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7lq-...ature=youtu.be
                  Thanks for the video, it was interesting. I would like to try them given the opportunity. Have you changed plans about coming up to San Jose for the Abilities Expo in November?

Comment

What's the benefit supposed to be, like a manual push-asist? All I could see was you pushed backwards... and it's supposed to help with braking? How's it work?
                    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

Comment

Originally posted by voxina View Post
                      What's the benefit supposed to be, like a manual push-asist? All I could see was you pushed backwards... and it's supposed to help with braking? How's it work?
                      http://www.rowheels.com/benefits/
                      http://www.rowheels.com/faq/

Comment

I know I'm in the opposite corner of the country, but I'd love to trial a set for free. I can adjust to "rowing", I mean how long does it take to figure out to go up hill backwards in a regular chair. The hill holder is essential in Seattle.
                        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

That has completely messed with my head!!!! Oh the hurt!!!!
                          Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
                          "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
                          (1930- )

Comment

It would be good to exercise opposing muscles but otherwise it looks like a wrist or elbow injury waiting to happen.
                            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                              It would be good to exercise opposing muscles but otherwise it looks like a wrist or elbow injury waiting to happen.
                              Pushing your regular manual chair forces/compresses the median nerve into the carpal tunnel, increasing the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome. Pulling to go forward (Rowheels) does the opposite buy putting the ligaments and tendons in the wrist in tension.

Pushing a wheelchair is very bio-mechanicaly inefficient. Read any research paper looking at muscle activity during the pushing phase and you'll see why. Your Pectoralis major, Infraspinatous, and Anterior Deltoids do most of the work, especially at the beginning of the pushing stroke when large initiation forces are required. The triceps don't really contribute until the last part of the pushing.
                              In pulling to go forward (Rowheels), the Biceps and Lattisimus dorsi are involved in the pulling phase from the beginning, reducing the work done by the shoulders.
                              Rowheels also reduce repetition due to the gear ratio applied.

Comment

Working...
                              X