No announcement yet.

Wheelchair Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A seat elevator would be great for a few reasons...one is raising the seat up to make 1 person assisted pivot transfers into bed much easier. The problem is the cost. The wheelchair vendor I use says adding the seat elevator to my Invacare TDX-SP will cost $4,500...
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

The list price for the elevator on my Permobil chair is $2518. I paid $2400. Seems like a big difference especially when Permobils are probably the priciest chairs.
      You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
      http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
      http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Well $4,500 for the seat elevator is the cost the wheelchair vendor I've used for a while gave me. I wonder how much of that figure is for labor and profit...hmmm.
        C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

Maybe retrofitting costs more but that is a suspiciously big difference. Try getting an estimate from another DME if you can.
          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by KyleP2112 View Post
            Well $4,500 for the seat elevator is the cost the wheelchair vendor I've used for a while gave me. I wonder how much of that figure is for labor and profit...hmmm.
            Get a new vendor.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I sit too high in my Invacare TDX.
              Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleP2112 View Post
                On my new Invicare TDX SP the seat to floor height is 18.5...I guess I'll have to get used to this height...it's just that I was used to being higher in my old Invicare. It's all frustrating and depressing because once you have a chair you're basically stuck with it for several years (depending on your funding source of insurance or private pay).
                I'm thinking about getting the seat elevation motor added...it may be pricey but still worth it.

Ugh...it's too late now but the Permobile M300 w/ the elevating seat looks great...I'm jealous.
                Originally posted by alan View Post
                I sit too high in my Invacare TDX.
                My Invacare TDX-SP is 3 years old. There is a part described as a SEAT TO FLOOR bracket that can be ordered in three heights, Low, Medium, and Tall.
                There is a two inch difference between each of the bracket heights, starting at 16.5", 18.5" and 20.5".

I have attached below, a picture of the bracket on my chair and a picture of the spec sheet that references the three heights. I don't know if this bracket has been changed on the newer models in the intervening 3 years. Your durable medical equipment supplier may have current informaton on availability. "KyleP2112," changing to the Tall bracket won't get you the benefits of an elevating seat, but it may allow you to sit higher, more like you did in your previous chair. "Alan," depending on which bracket you currently have, you may be able to go to the shorter brackets.

All the best,
                GJ

Comment

I was busy writing my response before gjnl posted, but here's more information..

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                    I was busy writing my response before gjnl posted, but here's more information..
                    Hey "SCI-OTR," Great Minds

All the best,
                    GJ

Comment

Front STF height on a tilt only system can also be modified by changing the seat angle.

The seat angle is adjusted by mounting the STF bracket using different holes in the bracket. If you are sitting to high, but would be OK with less "dump" it may be possible to lower the front.

Conversely, if you want to sit a bit higher and your seat is fairly level, increasing the seat angle can raise the front STF.

Comment

Working...
                      X