Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is tire pressure really?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    No burrs in either set of tires, good rim tape installed, double checked the tube size to make sure they're 25-540 like my Schwalbes. Installation done at a bike shop, so the tubes shouldn't be pinched. Definitely need to learn to do it myself, though, it's just embarassing to keep coming in with flats like this. Haven't checked the tubes yet to see what happened THIS TIME, should do that tonight.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by chaiale View Post
      No burrs in either set of tires, good rim tape installed, double checked the tube size to make sure they're 25-540 like my Schwalbes. Installation done at a bike shop, so the tubes shouldn't be pinched. Definitely need to learn to do it myself, though, it's just embarassing to keep coming in with flats like this. Haven't checked the tubes yet to see what happened THIS TIME, should do that tonight.
      The burrs would be in the wheel rims, not the tires.
      stephen@bike-on.com

      Comment


        #18
        That makes more sense to me, but still, when I kept getting mysterious flats we checked all the components at the bike shop. The installed rim strips were too small, so we put in rim tape that was better quality and the right size. Now it's less frequent, but the second I pump my tires again...POP! I'm almost afraid to Pump the set I ride now, but they're rolling pretty low now, maybe 60-80, so it's gotta be done. Wish me luck.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by JeffAdams View Post
          I have Schwalbe right runs on a set of Spinergy LX, and Kenda Kontender's on my Topolino wheels. I use presta valve Continental inner tubes on both.
          I`ve got that tubes too, keep air really good.

          Comment


            #20
            Eh.
            I have crappy Primo tires, whatever tubes are cheapest, and generic rim strips.
            I haven't had a flat in years and only need to put air in once every 3-4 weeks, which is just fine. I need new tires once a year, if that.
            I'm sure life would be a tiny bit better if I shelled out more money, but I don't think it's worth it.


            And yes, as everyone else has said, there's a HUGE difference between 50psi and 110psi.

            Originally posted by chaiale View Post
            the second I pump my tires again...POP! I'm almost afraid to Pump the set I ride now, but they're rolling pretty low now, maybe 60-80
            Draw a line at the stem on your tire, tube, and wheel rim with chalk or a colored magic marker. Then when the tube pops you can take the tube out, line everything up, and see exactly where it failed and inspect the tire and rim at that exact point.

            Comment


              #21
              When you're installing new tubes, use talcum powder. Put a bit of it in the palm of your hand, and drag the tube through until it has a nice dusting on it. Helps keep the tube from getting pinched between the tire and the rim. When they're in, put about 15 pounds of pressure in, and push the tire away from the rim - look down between the rim and the tire to see if you can see any tube poking out. If you do, use a tire lever to get the tube into the tire correctly.

              Comment


                #22
                Another one who thinks tire pressure makes a huge difference, when my tires are at max pressure it takes minimal effort to get my zra rolling and it handles awesome. Once the tire pressure gets down it has the handling of my old 50 lb Everest & Jennings folder that weighed 50lbs

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by chaiale View Post
                  Now it's less frequent, but the second I pump my tires again...POP! I'm almost afraid to Pump the set I ride now, but they're rolling pretty low now, maybe 60-80, so it's gotta be done. Wish me luck.
                  If it happens during inflation or a shortly afterward, there is a good possibility that the tube is probably getting pinched between the rim and tire or pinched & damaged during installation.

                  Bike shops are generally good, but some of the tires/tubes we use are a bit different than they may be accustomed to. Hopefully the most-recent episodes are simply a bad coincidence and your luck will change for the better.

                  While a bit pricey, I've found that buying two Pedros tire levers was a worthwhile investment for installing new Schwalbe Marathon Evo's on my Spinergys.

                  I must confess that around 20% of the time, I still wind up damaging the tube and have to start over. I also have no confidence in the reliability of a tube if I have to remove the Marathon from the rim and have to reuse the old tube.

                  As a result, I purchase 4 tubes instead of two whenever I need to install new tires.

                  While it might not be necessary to install a new tube, the peace of mind provided by knowing that I've properly installed a new tube and have a spare on hand if I didn't is worth the expense.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                    If it happens during inflation or a shortly afterward, there is a good possibility that the tube is probably getting pinched between the rim and tire or pinched & damaged during installation.

                    Bike shops are generally good, but some of the tires/tubes we use are a bit different than they may be accustomed to. Hopefully the most-recent episodes are simply a bad coincidence and your luck will change for the better.

                    While a bit pricey, I've found that buying two Pedros tire levers was a worthwhile investment for installing new Schwalbe Marathon Evo's on my Spinergys.

                    I must confess that around 20% of the time, I still wind up damaging the tube and have to start over. I also have no confidence in the reliability of a tube if I have to remove the Marathon from the rim and have to reuse the old tube.

                    As a result, I purchase 4 tubes instead of two whenever I need to install new tires.

                    While it might not be necessary to install a new tube, the peace of mind provided by knowing that I've properly installed a new tube and have a spare on hand if I didn't is worth the expense.
                    I don't recommend that tire lever. I bought it from Sportaid and it was real tough on my rims. I do recommend these levers. They are awesome. Steel levers covered in plastic so there's no damage. One of the best things I ever bought.

                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARK-TL-6-BI...item5895c9f315

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Mine says 70psi on the side
                      but i only put 40 in them, i like the cushion, been doing that a couple of decades
                      We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                      Ronald Reagan

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by grommet View Post
                        I don't recommend that tire lever. I bought it from Sportaid and it was real tough on my rims. I do recommend these levers. They are awesome. Steel levers covered in plastic so there's no damage. One of the best things I ever bought.

                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARK-TL-6-BI...item5895c9f315

                        [ATTACH]46740[/ATTACH]

                        These are very good, I have a set. The plastic coating is no guarantee that you can't scuff your rims. I know.
                        stephen@bike-on.com

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Has anyone tried nitrogen in their tires for more stable air pressure - would it work?
                          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

                          T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                            Has anyone tried nitrogen in their tires for more stable air pressure - would it work?
                            Helium is better but be warned it will raise your rear seat height.
                            stephen@bike-on.com

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Nitrogen's a farce Lynnifer, I looked into it for my motorbike on track days but nobody bothers. It heat expansion rate is the same as normal air, which is 80% nitrogen anyway. It's used in aviation because it's dry, no humidity, so at high altitude there won't be condensation inside the tire which could potentially corrode the rims.

                              & lol Stephen!
                              T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

                              No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by grommet View Post
                                . Steel levers covered in plastic so there's no damage. One of the best things I ever bought.

                                ]

                                You could damage the tubes with that ones too, if things aren`t done properly dosen`t minde what levers you`ve got, you will puch your tube with any kind of levers.

                                I`ve got this ones.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X