X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefly

Hi.

Have someone a firefly? i was thinking in buy one of this firefly
    I know this brand because i have tried a dragonfly and the quality was ok so this one probably will be good stuff too.
    Looking at the video i could leave my car at home a lot of times.

I know 4 people in my city that use and love them. They can cruise around all day, and then when you need to go in a shop you can just take it off the chair and leave it at the door. Great idea especially if there are lots of hills where you are going.

Comment

ok then, i will write a letter to Santa Claus for this Xmas.

Comment

I have tried a demo of a Firefly in my own chair today, i just can say WOW, WOW and WOW, this thing is absolutly fantastic, i had a long ride in the city and when i went back to the shop for give them back the Firefly and i went out of the bike shop pushing again my wheels i felt like a primitive pushing a wheelchair.
        So i have ordered one, the wheelchair dosen`t need any adaptaion, just a few clamps in the front tubes.

Comment

My husband also demo'd one, and it was great. For the price, I think it's a wonderful piece of equipment, and there is nothing comparable in it's price range. In our perfect world we would have a ZX1 power add-on and a Firefly for going distances. Just need to win the lottery next week;-)
          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

At 2 grand, you can hardly beat it with the SMARTDRIVE and the ZX1 from Spinergy comming out around 7 thousand bucks. Looks like fun and it can go pretty far.
            C 5/6 Comp.
            No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
              My husband also demo'd one, and it was great. For the price, I think it's a wonderful piece of equipment, and there is nothing comparable in it's price range. In our perfect world we would have a ZX1 power add-on and a Firefly for going distances. Just need to win the lottery next week;-)
              Yep, i think that for the price there is nothing that can beat it, even it can go backwards and i`m getting it at a low price, in con has that only can be used by paras, and even i think for fixed to your chair and take it out you will need a good trunk control, for me was really easy put it on&out of my chair, but i`m L1.
              Last edited by totoL1; 3 Oct 2012, 3:36 AM.

Comment

You probably go faster downhill in your chair than with the fly attached.
                Enjoy!!
                C 5/6 Comp.
                No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by forestranger52 View Post
                  You probably go faster downhill in your chair than with the fly attached.
                  Enjoy!!
                  In that case i will go downhills doing a wheelie with the fly attached lol.

Comment

I'd be very interested, but I just had an E-recumbent trike built.
                    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

After a few days using the firefly i can say this is a very interesting toy, now just have to wait to see how durable is it, i hope it will be.
                      Some pics, you have to put four clamps in your front frame, this clamps and the firefly arms are adjustable, so you can put them where they don`t hit your legs, mines dosen`t bother mines, they are aluminium unless the botls that are stainless steel, so you don`t add to the chair much weight, around a pound, i leave my clamps always attached to the chair because i`m using the firefly everyday to go to school.
                      Here where we have to pay $2 for a liter of disel is better leave your car at home
                      BTW, this kind of toys shows you what kind of frame you really got under your arse.
                      Last edited by totoL1; 10 Oct 2012, 7:46 AM.

Comment

Congratulations on your new "toy" Toto. Thanks for the input so far. How does it do on rough terrrain -- cobblestones, grass, etc? Keep us posted on how it does over time and how durable it is.

We are still hoping to get a drive unit power add-on like the ZX1 or SmartDrive for everyday indoor and outdoor use, but also hoping to save some money up for a Firefly for going longer distances outside.

With the price of the Firefly being about 1/2 or in some cases 1/3 the price of other similar power only handbikes, it really does look like a good deal.

In case anyone is curious, here is a list of all the power only handbikes that we have looked into, along with where they are from:

Reha-Technik Speedy Elektra, Delbrück DE
                        Reha-Technik Speedy E-Light, Delbrück DE
                        Stricker Lipo Lomo, Heildeberg DE
                        RioMobility Firefly, San Fransisco CA USA
                        ROAM E-Bike, Amsterdam NL
                        Double Performance Tracker 20 e-wheeler, Gouda NL
                        Team Hybrid Viper, Fareham, Hampshire UK
                        Abberate E-Trike, Borger NL

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
                        After a few days using the firefly i can say this is a very interesting toy, now just have to wait to see how durable is it, i hope it will be.
                        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
                          Congratulations on your new "toy" Toto. Thanks for the input so far. How does it do on rough terrrain -- cobblestones, grass, etc? Keep us posted on how it does over time and how durable it is.
                          Well, i really bought it just for urban use, but i don`t like the tire, in some uphills slip sometimes a bit, so i will change in a future the tire for something like this one for have a better grip.

Comment

This is a warning if someone buys once a firefly.
                            They put my clamps upside down in the store, I noticed yesterday at the photo from the website of the firefly that was not like mines, so I decided to change its position, with that change the firefly is about 2" shorter and this increases the weight on the wheel of the firefly, so has improved its performance in terms of slopes up with slippery surfaces such as sidewalks with very smooth surfaces going uphills.
                            Last edited by totoL1; 13 Oct 2012, 6:24 AM.

Comment

Wow, good thing you noticed that. Enjoy...

Comment

Working...
                              X