Firefly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bummer,
    Three wires or six wires Gordy? I seem to remember he has reverse, so it probably has six which would be more of a challenge, but you could replace the motor. Some even have replaced the wires. I've read the hard part is the strong magnets, but instructions are on the net. At this point you have nothing to loose except a little time. If I'm remembering correctly, the six wire ones have no moving, loose parts inside.

As for the shearing, there is supposed to be a thing on the axle dropout connecting to the axle to prevent it.

Edit, forgot to say that if replacing the motor, the easiest it to find the exact motor. Although an exact match is not easy, the color coding of the wires will be correct. It seems there is no standard color coding between motor manufacturers and even models.
    Last edited by nonoise; 31 Jul 2016, 1:28 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

9 wires, nonoise!

I thought about replacing parts, but I've been hatching a plan for the time when it eventually died (albeit I was supposed to have organised a replacement before it did!). I want to use the connection arms and add a much larger wheel/motor combo that has the potential to work on sand...it may not work perfectly, but it will become a good off-road machine (if all goes to plan!).

There is/was a special nut on the axle to prevent axle spin/wire damage, but due to the number of times the nuts have loosened previously, the thread on the axle has worn, so the nut didn't do what it was supposed to do this time.

When we get the next Firefly I will be making sure all the connections are glued and tightened properly from day one, rather than periodically tightening when they loosen over time. Lesson learnt! But I have no complaints about the Firefly quality or manufacture - given what my son has put it through, it's amazing that it has lasted this long!
      Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Yes replace the whole thing with a wide tire, I love that idea. But changing the motor will require changing the controller, I'm sure you are aware of these things.
        I don't think glue will hold it. The torque lock is more than a special nut thing. Take a look how they are set up on e-bikes. They look something like old fashioned coaster brakes. The best ones slide on the flats of the axle and clamp to the fork.
        You are correct. There are three large wires for motor current. I forgot how the sensors are wired. There are three of them, and each has two wires making a total of *nine* wires. Motors can either be sensored or sensorless. The sensoless ones won't run in reverse.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Yep, new motor, controller, forks, handlebars! I really just want the arms that joins the assembly to the chair. And the battery, which is still going well.

The glue I was referring to is loctite, just for the nuts. And I should have referred to a special washer, not nut, that prevents the rotation (the washers used on the firefly (and other ebikes that I've dealt with) have a tab attached that fits into the fork gap).

In the meantime, I dug out an old project and got it working this afternoon, so my son has a bit of power to get to/from school...
          https://youtu.be/3T6JVm9Vc2I

I just wish he would smile in photos and videos...typical teenager!
          Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Kids don't smile, not cool. Nice project btw.
            Those special washers were not recommended by the biking crowd when I was getting into this. If you can get the other kind to fit, I would do it.
            If it's a LiFepo4 battery, you have to build something for it.

Comment

Yeah, you're probably right about the washers for biking, but I imagine the forces on a Firefly are lower than those on an e-bike, so there's probably less of a concern (says me who has just experienced damage to the Firefly!!)

What do you mean about building something for the battery? If you mean something to hold the battery, then that's something else I can still use from the Firefly, but it will have a different connection to a new controller.

Comment

I just mean those are valuable batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                  I just mean those are valuable batteries.
                  Aha! I understand now, and fully agree!

Comment

Hi Gordy1 I am wondering what you mean by new design for a horizontal member?

Comment

Originally posted by juniorsenior View Post
                      Hi Gordy1 I am wondering what you mean by new design for a horizontal member?
                      The new firefly design is made to connect to the two vertical front tubulars of a wheelchair, fairly close to the start of the top bend (seat level). The Icon doesn't have tubulars that go up to seat level; its tubulars change from vertical to horizontal significantly lower than other chairs. So the firefly connection would need to connect to the horizontal part of the Icon front end, as the vertical portion is too low. I asked Rio about Icon compatibility, and they said "Thanks for your interest in the new Firefly. As of right now the new Firefly is not compatible with the Icon. We are working on adapters that will all horizontal attachment. They should be ready in a few months."

Comment

Working...
                      X