No announcement yet.

SmartDrive Power Assist Device from MAX Mobility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds really good. So you really don't have to be pushing at all? In other words when you turn a corner you just grasp one wheel tighter to make the turn and then let off and go straight again? Then when you grasp both wheels it stops until you re-accelerate again?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Some things the SmartDrive probably won't do for you: I dont think you will be able to use power of device to push or pull open heavy doors, also it is doubtful that you would be able to use device well on grass, in part because your small front casters will still be on the ground (unless you have a Freewheel) and also because when the surface the drive unit is in contact with gets really rough the unit's power will disengage requiring either another push or hitting the button to reengage. I do have a Freewheel and would try the device on grass but everywhere is snow, snow, snow right now.

Comment

curt, could you just attach a block and tackle to the inside roof near the doors where the handle is to pull the chair in (either your heavy emotions or a smart drive with the battery installed)?

Comment

No, I just want to be lifting all that weight, it's asking for trouble. The way I have to do it when I use the e-motions for going to a park (disney or whatever) I put them in the back of the car and get out first with my regular wheels, pull them out of the back of the wagon and then sit in the car seat again and pull of the spinergy wheels and put on the e-motions, it is a pain in the neck doing it this way, but it's the only way to do it and that's why I only use them when I have to wheel a long distance. I don't have a van, the e-motions are a lot more well suited for somebody who drives a ramp or lift van. The Smart drive sounds like it would be a lot better for me for my purposes, but they still don't make one for a folding chair and that's what I use. Talk is they are coming out with a model for a folding chair though.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
            Sounds really good. So you really don't have to be pushing at all? In other words when you turn a corner you just grasp one wheel tighter to make the turn and then let off and go straight again? Then when you grasp both wheels it stops until you re-accelerate again?
            As long as you are light on pushrim, if you grab you disengage.

I don't know how well SmartDrive would do getting you up a minivan ramp. We have one short, steep ramp in our house which is carpeted and has no threshold, the bump up at base of ramp is about one inch off floor. The SmartDrive does not read this well and disengages. If you want to use this to help you up a minivan ramp be sure to try it out 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
              As long as you are light on pushrim, if you grab you disengage.

I don't know how well SmartDrive would do getting you up a minivan ramp. We have one short, steep ramp in our house which is carpeted and has no threshold, the bump up at base of ramp is about one inch off floor. The SmartDrive does not read this well and disengages. If you want to use this to help you up a minivan ramp be sure to try it out 1st.
              That is the exact scenario I would need to make sure someone can manage before I would recommend one. Having an outboard button that was closer to the pushrims would defintitely make this situation more manageable.

Comment

Along the van scenario; how well does it handle a "scrubbing" in tight turns? It seems that when you do a real tight turn, like inside a van, that the wheel would be scrubbing the carpet as you turn. It's the "odd wheel out" when you push and pull to do 90-180 degree turn. Will it slide ok, or pop off the mount?
                "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Hey everyone, Mark Richter from MAX Mobility here. Figured it was about time I got on board. Feel free to ask me whatever. Thanks to SCI_OTR and stephen212 for the invite. McDuff- the side facing rollers allow it to freely roll sideways without appreciable scrubing.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
                    Along the van scenario; how well does it handle a "scrubbing" in tight turns? It seems that when you do a real tight turn, like inside a van, that the wheel would be scrubbing the carpet as you turn. It's the "odd wheel out" when you push and pull to do 90-180 degree turn. Will it slide ok, or pop off the mount?
                    From post 42...

Comment

Originally posted by MAX_Mobility View Post
                      Hey everyone, Mark Richter from MAX Mobility here. Figured it was about time I got on board. Feel free to ask me whatever. Thanks to SCI_OTR and stephen212 for the invite. McDuff- the side facing rollers allow it to freely roll sideways without appreciable scrubing.
                      I'll return SN: 000020 to you personally in Nashville next month!

Comment

Cool. I have a CF seat pan that is 1/8 inch thick. Will your battery pack slide onto that? Do you have a side picture showing how the battery pack attachment looks up close?

Comment

Hi Mark,

Is it possible to mount the SmartDrive with a CF. ergo seat or just a normally ergo zit?
                          keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Thanks Max_M, welcome to CC.

SCI_OTR -I missed the correlation of those rollers, skim reading strikes again, thanks.
                            "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Hi Mark, will the SmartDrive be at the San Jose Abilities Expo this coming year? I've been asking around but can't find out.

Comment

Pics of my wife using SmartDrive and FreeWheel on hard-packed snow and ice. Worked very well and fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X