No announcement yet.

SmartDrive Power Assist Device from MAX Mobility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody know if Smartdrive will be at the Abilities Expo in San Jose this year?

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
      Does anybody know if Smartdrive will be at the Abilities Expo in San Jose this year?
      Rick Hayden would know. Heard he now works there.
      Last edited by ABox; 28 Sep 2012, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Does the drive act as an anti-tipper, or would a user who needs anti-tippers (like me) still need them?
        Chas
        TiLite TR3
        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
        <
        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Found another clip

Comment

Originally posted by ABox View Post
            Rick Hayden would know. Heard he now works there.
            I believe he does.

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
            Does the drive act as an anti-tipper, or would a user who needs anti-tippers (like me) still need them?
            No. It must be able to rotate on your camber tube to be able to traverse bumps, jump curbs, and be removed from the mounting clamp, but it shouldn't interfere with existing anti-tippers. Even though it lacks the programmability of e-motion wheels, it may be more-suitable for many users who have ataxia/dysmetria because it uses the overall acceleration/deceleration of the entire chair to determine whether to provide power. Other power assist systems are triggered by effort applied at each pushrim which can result in the uneven application of power. If you can self-propel in a straight path with regular wheels, you will propel in a straight path with the SmarrtDrive.
            Last edited by SCI_OTR; 28 Sep 2012, 8:35 AM.

Comment

So what's your verdict SCI_OTR...are you keeping that demo, or giving it back?!?
              Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

How loud is the motor? How quiet, or not, is it when it's just "idling?"
                stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Do you think it would work equally as well for a hemiplegic who uses one arm for steering?

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                  Even though it lacks the programmability of e-motion wheels, it may be more-suitable for many users who have ataxia/dysmetria because it uses the overall acceleration/deceleration of the entire chair to determine whether to provide power. Other power assist systems are triggered by effort applied at each pushrim which can result in the uneven application of power. If you can self-propel in a straight path with regular wheels, you will propel in a straight path with the SmarrtDrive.
                  Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

More info available? I guess it would not have traction in snowy conditions, am I right?
                    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

Only problem I see like most of these things for me is cost. But the concept opens more doors.
                      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                        Only problem I see like most of these things for me is cost. But the concept opens more doors.
                        At more than 6000$, it is indeed a hard price to swallow and it could lead to a low adoption rate.

Comment

Originally posted by JGNI View Post
                          At more than 6000$, it is indeed a hard price to swallow and it could lead to a low adoption rate.
                          The second poster said it's VA approved, I bet they will sell if true, just not to me.
                          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                            The second poster said it's VA approved, I bet they will sell if true, just not to me.
                            Sorry, Canadian perspective here.

Comment

Originally posted by JGNI View Post
                              Sorry, Canadian perspective here.
                              We are on the same page. I won't have one at half that price anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                                You would be correct McDuff.

To address sowseng's comment about it having no tire or track. The weight of the unit itself is only 11 lbs. so there is relatively little weight on the drive wheel itself. How the unit is being used will determine how quickly the rubber wears out.

When using push stroke activation, the energy needed to accelerate to a given speed is provided by the push stroke of the user. During this time, the SmartDrive is essentially being pulled along and the user is providing the energy needed to overcome rolling resistance. Once the desired speed is attained, the SmartDrive simply kicks in to provide whatever force is necessary to maintain that speed.

When using push button activation the energy required to overcome rolling resistance and accelerate up to speed is provided by the SmartDrive itself. Instead of being pulled along, the unit is actually pushing the user/wheelchair until the desired speed is obtained. It is logical that there will be more wear on the rubber if it is being used in push button activation mode.

As for sowseng's concern about the lack of tire and track, the drivewheel was designed so that the rollers on the left and right half are offset--giving it sufficient traction for its intended use. The rubber rollers are also designed to be replaced when they wear out.The rubber segments themselves also rotate freely. This is a pretty clever aspect of the design because it allows the user to easily turn their chair in a tight radius with minimal friction between the drive wheel and the ground.

Actually, when the power is off, I notice its presence the most when I am pushing forward. I feel the "bump-bump-bump" of the individual rollers. I would probably keep a small bungee cord to suspend the drive wheel off the ground using my rigidizer bar if I were going someplace where I didn't need to use it, but didn't want to take it completely off. For example rolling a couple of blocks from my house to the bookstore.
                                did you have a preference for push stroke activiation vs push button activation? especially curious how long it took you to have a feel for it, was it intuitive or how long did it take? so basically how it works is that it acts like an automatic cruise control that maintains your speed and decelerates when you apply resistance?are there any programming options? so many questions sorry.

Power options for manual chairs are looking really exciting these days. So much potential.

Comment

Working...
                                X